Ford Transit Connect Forum

New Owner - Camping/Traveling Ideas

BassoraMo

Hello from east-central Missouri, 

We are now proud owners of a 2018 Transit xl LWB - cargo model. There are two of us so two-seats are perfect. No windows on the side or back which is great for security. We plan to block the passenger side sliding door for larger/longer items.

Now we want to prepare for visits campgrounds.

We have a nice tent for outdoor camping in good weather and an air mattress so we can sleep in the van when the weather isn't so good. A Yeti cooler awaits our first trip.

Now deciding what to do next.

• I want to hang our fishing poles so they are out of the way, maybe along passenger side or from the ceiling. Ideas appreciated on how to secure them.
  • We are not wiring in anything but can always use the 12 volt outlet in the console for things like a fan for this summer. Is there a relatively inexpensive fan that would be good for these trips?
  • Other items that might be useful that can be plugged into the console?
  • And we are taking suggestions for making the space in the LWB a home away from home.

Looking forward to hearing replies as well as reading other entries in the forums.

Everyone have a magnificent non-snowy day (I'm in Missouri -- we are trying to turn into the new snow capital of the contiguous 48 states).

BassoraMo

Edited by BassoraMo
misspelling

2 hours ago, BassoraMo said:

• We are not wiring in anything but can always use the 12 volt outlet in the console for things like a fan for this summer. Is there a relatively inexpensive fan that would be good for these trips?

Try a solar powered fan first.  A couple of these with the solar panel may be enough to circulate airflow.

Greenhouse Ventilator Solar Powred 4'' Fan Dog Chicken House Window Ceiling Vent

Congrats on your new TC and welcome.  I know I like mine, so I am sure you will. too!  :thumbsup:

A lot of plumbers use large diameter PVC pipe mounted on the roof rack to hold pipe.  Depending on the size of the reels on your fishing poles, a 4 or 6 inch PVC drain pipe might hold them out of the way.  You could mount the pipe inside using the holes in the roof supports or outside.

Definitely consider a sun shade for the windshield.  That monster piece of glass up front provides a great view, but really catches a lot of sun in the summer.  (Bugs and stones, too!)