Ford Transit Connect Forum

ForScan

13 hours ago, KevinRollin said:

Anyone using ForScan wirelessly, via Bluetooth or WiFi on an iOS or android device?  

I've been using the OBDLink 426101 "Scan Tool MX Bluetooth", with Android 8 on a Moto G5, based IRIC on advice from the ForScan website.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZTZLQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's a little finicky about connecting (mostly when I've been using the phone on my other cars), but seems solid once it's hooked up.  The flipping between high and low speed CAN busses seems seamless and fast.

I have wanted to try that device. Only problem for me, and it's just my problem, is cost.  Not that I don't have $70.  I am using a $25 Amazon Fire.  I don't want to spend more on this connector than the tablet.  I'm just being cheap.  If I buy a good connector, then I will need a better computer, and probably pay for the good version of the software. At the moment, with a $25 computer, I have a $5 connector, and free Torque Lite app. I can see some information, but not everything.  I can view diagnostic trouble codes and turn off check engine lights.  Not ideal. But better than nothing.   

17 hours ago, mrtn said:

Thanks.  Making changes or just reading codes?  

12 hours ago, jrm223 said:

I recall the smartphone version being much more limited in capability than the PC version, basically a custom gauge panel on the phone, so you ought to check into that before buying anything. They may have expanded the smartphone capabilities in more recent versions of Forscan, I don't know because it's been a long while since I looked at that. 

Ok good to know.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

You must have a PC (not Mac) to make any configuration changes using Forscan. The phone app can read data and reset CEL and DTCs only. 

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6142

Thanks. I need to do some more reading.  I hadn’t made it all the way through that thread yet.  May have to do my old Windows Vista laptop out of storage just for this.  Almost did that a few wins ago to reprogram a radio.  

Edited by KevinRollin

11 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

You must have a PC (not Mac) to make any configuration changes using Forscan. The phone app can read data and reset CEL and DTCs only. 

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6142

I've also heard that you should use a cable connector to the OBD II port.  You don't want to chance losing a connection, for whatever reason, in the middle of programming, or running any of the tests.

21 hours ago, Double Nickels said:

If I buy a good connector, then I will need a better computer, and probably pay for the good version of the software. 

Pay for the good version of what software? Forscan is free, including the extended license that allows programming. However, I saw that you can now buy a longer-length extended license, instead of doing the free 2-month license all the time. If you expect to do constant reprogramming of vehicles over a long time, then I could see the cost of the new extended licenses being worth the investment. But most of us only dabble enough to do the free 2-month license and re-up if or when needed, only takes a couple minutes of time to do it. No difference in free vs paid aside from how long the license itself lasts, but all the features & abilities are exactly the same.

Forscan has only one version. It differs from other "apps" because it guarantees nothing and the user is 100% responsible for learning how to use it. It's a step above hacking. But, it can save the user hundreds of dollars and more importantly, it allows options and features a dealer won't implement.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 8:04 AM, jrm223 said:

Pay for the good version of what software? Forscan is free, including the extended license that allows programming.

I just revisited the FORScan website.  I wanted to set up an Android tablet or my phone.  

There is a free demo version.  Forscan Lite is a paid version of the app.    So for some variants, there is a fee involved.

Current price is $5.99 on Google Play.

foreskin.jpg

foreskin compare.jpg

"Configuration and programming" - ForScan Lite for Android: No - so it looks like you can read & clear DTC's and run some of the vehicle self-tests (Service functions), but not change parameters like enabling cruise control or disabling the perimeter lights. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/4/2019 at 10:57 AM, jrm223 said:

I can tell you personally that Forscan can turn on (activate) cruise control in a TC2 that was not equipped with it from the factory. I swapped my steering wheel, used Forscan to enable "Cruise Control" AND "Adaptive Speed Control" - I found out the ASC the hard way when CC wouldn't work when I hit the buttons, lol. 

Just curious what you mean by this? Are both asc and cc working for you? I saw the asc option when I added cc to my 17 TC but I was too scared to try it I was just happy to have cc working and the rewrite process was being very flaky for me so I didn't want to push it once I had cc working. Like you I did a new wheel. I also did Clock spring and sasm. 

To summarize, I had installed the new steering wheel, used Forscan to activate CC only and then went for a drive to test/verify functionality - but CC didn't turn on at all. I went back in to Forscan, activated ASC (even though my 2015 US van is too old to have the equipment for it), and went for a drive again - CC worked perfectly fine, on/off, up/down via buttons, etc. Obviously, it does not automatically adjust speed like ASC should (not that I give two turds), but for whatever reason my van needed both of those activated for the CC alone to work.