Ford Transit Connect Forum

Driver and passenger doors open only 2-3 inches.

tworock

2010 Transit Connect - Currently experiencing the great "Polar Vortex" of 1/30/19 in the Chicago suburbs!  Because of ladder racks, the truck is kept in the drive-way.  Went out to start car to make sure I was all good on that front.  Here's what happened; I had squirted some de-icer into the locks yesterday before parking for the night.  Went out a bit ago just to start the car for a few minutes and the de-icer had done it's job, the key (manual locks) turned like a charm and I opened the door - ALL OF ABOUT THREE INCHES!  It feels like a hinge part is being blocked or impeded.  I went to try the passenger door - same deal.  I'm afraid to give the doors a heavy yank for fear of breaking or stressing a part that's not supposed to be stressed.  Anybody have any experience with the hinge mechanisms that might be my problem?  Should I give the door a good pull?

Edited by tworock

Method 1 Unfreezing Door Seals or Handles
  1. Push on your car door. Apply pressure by leaning on your frozen door. ...
  2. Chip away the ice. ...
  3. Pour lukewarm water over the rubber seals. ...
  4. Spray on commercial de-icer. ...
  5. Start the car remotely. ...
  6. Heat the frozen seal with a blow dryer.

Thanks GBL and Fifty 150.  I waited until after mid afternoon in sunshine to try again.  Worked it ever so slowly back and forth, maybe 20 times, and got it to open ( I have a protective cargo safety fence between cargo area and cockpit.)  Afterwards, still incredibly tight.  Application of WD40 to hinges (what's the superior lubricant for the location???) helped a bunch - absolutely no discernible ice anywhere - weird!   Had to put a trickle 2 amp charge on the battery when it wouldn't turn over (!) and the windshield edge of the hood, now there was ice!  Incredible cause and effect of record cold in the good old Chicago suburbs and Midwest.  Hell apparently froze over and I slipped and whacked my noggin on the thin sheet of ice on the neighbors drive.  Geezus!  Stay warm!!

Edited by tworock

Well not much of a story.  I was living in Kansas City and we had a two week period when the jet stream dipped down from Canada and brought negative temps and snow.  My diesel tractor would not start so my wife and I had to shovel the driveway by hand (it was a large one).  We both had jobs that we could not call in, so we had to clear it to get the vehicles out of the garage.  During the first snow fall  and driveway clearing, she twisted her back and was out.  The next three snow falls, I was on my own.  So the exact moment occurred halfway through the fourth shoveling when my feet slipped on the ice melt from the last snowfall and I fell on my butt.  At that moment, while still sitting on my aching butt,  I yelled out loud "THIS IS B*** S****".  Got up finished the driveway and starting making plans to move.  A year later I was in South Carolina. 

That was a good story. But I must say that you lasted longer than I would have. You made it to the 4th, I would have been packed and moved after the first. lol

I'm just a hop, skip, and a jump up the road from ya davidparker in North Carolina.