Ford Transit Connect Forum

Gen 2 Steelies

davidparker

I haven't like the hubcaps on my 2018 XLT, since the day I bought it.  (They reminded me of snowflakes!).  So after a little bit of research, I decide to go with center caps and possibly trim rings.  Originally, I was going to go with black wheels, but it looked too much like a cop car.  I still haven't decided on the trim rings.  But I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

2019-01-25 10.32.59.jpg

2019-01-25 10.33.21.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I went a little different route, myself... Haha! I had previously tried using the 2002 Ford Ranger style center caps, but for the life of me, I couldn't find the shouldered lug nuts that fit our thread pattern. The shouldered (or some may call it a 'lip'?) lug nuts were needed for the center caps to stay on.

That looks pretty slick, though. 

IMAG0040_50.jpg

16-inch-1998-2011-ford-ranger-explorer-crown-victoria-chrome-plated-oem-hub-hubcap-wheel-cover-center-cap-yl24-1a096-cb-yl24-1a096-db-3259-3261_37933.jpg

Yep,  I hear you.  I spent some time researching it.  Here is a link to an aftermarket lug nut with the shoulder on it, for future reference. Dorman 611207.  It turns out that my stock lug nuts are two piece with a cone that spins on the nut.  They seem to work ok for holding the cap on.  However, my caps are from a Crown Vic Police Interceptor which has a 114mm bolt circle.  So I had the bend the tabs down to the 108mm.  They seem to be staying on.  There are a couple of guys on the Focus forum that are running them.  I'm not sure if they would work with the Ranger caps you have pictured.  Your spikes are definitely cool, but I would probably hurt myself on them! 

• 1 month later...

Those wheels look AWESOME. I've been debating on whether I should drop $600 on a set of white rally wheels, or just paint the steelies. I could barely find any generic photos of white steelies. Seeing them on the van helps, and saves me a buck! Although I do have my eyes set on some gen 1 Taurus SHO slicer wheels. They are the same size as Gen 2 TC's. Guy wants $100 for the set! I'll update once I get them. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/8/2019 at 10:35 PM, ncranchero said:

I went with the Ranger/PoPo center caps on my ‘18 also, am leaving the wheels black though. Wish I had located the posts about them when I had my black ‘14.

8422CD61-4D4D-4A49-BE92-EE0C96FBC384.jpeg

I can’t figure out how these snap on, do I need the lug nuts with the shoulder on them and then bend the tabs. When I tried to put them on they didn’t line up with anything. Do they snap onto the lugs? Thanks!

2 hours ago, Mozer67 said:

I can’t figure out how these snap on, do I need the lug nuts with the shoulder on them and then bend the tabs. When I tried to put them on they didn’t line up with anything. Do they snap onto the lugs? Thanks!

They snap over the stock steelie lug nuts.

• 11 months later...

Been kinda wondering what the stock steelies would look like painted white. I hate the black and the stock hubcaps are only marginally better.

Definitely can appreciate your ingenuity with the center caps and they look good. Not quite me though cause I like to expose my nuts.

Since I now have some winter tires that I'm thinking of putting on the steelies, white just might be a good direction to go in.