Ford Transit Connect Forum

Driver's side interior door handle doesn't trigger sensor!

mountainman

When you open the driver's side door from the inside on my 2014 XLT a few thing are supposed to happen. If the vehicle is off, opening the door should unlock the other doors, activate the dome light, and turn off the radio if it's on. If the vehicle is on and moving, opening the door should cause an alarm and warning light on the dashboard. As of late, none of this has been happening. I think it's a problem with a sensor in the handle because if pull the handle all the way and let go a few times the sensor will eventually trigger, but not always.

Has anyone had this problem before? I'm wondering if the handle needs to be replaced or maybe just the sensor, or maybe the sensor just needs to be cleaned. I've had other issues with my van related to dust accumulated from dirt roads so hopefully it just needs to be cleaned. Regardless, I'll need to pull out the handle. Has anyone done this? Much thanks!

I think the switch/sensor is in the latch mechanism. This post shows where this signal goes into the door module (computer). You should be able to measure a signal change (+12 to 0V for example) when the latch is opened or closed. This will tell you if its the switch or the door module.

17 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

I think the switch/sensor is in the latch mechanism. This post shows where this signal goes into the door module (computer). You should be able to measure a signal change (+12 to 0V for example) when the latch is opened or closed. This will tell you if its the switch or the door module.

Nice post, @Don Ridley! Looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me. Perhaps the thing to do first is remove just the panel behind the door latch and hit the inside of the latch with some compressed air. Can the door latch panel be removed with a screwdriver instead of a door panel removal tool?

Yes, you can pry the door panels off with other tools. But the panel tools make it much easier and you are less likely to damage anything. Many other parts of the TC are held together with clips. I promise you will use these tools more than once.

Only $10

Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit, Set of 5 Pcs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8GHB7O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.P1rCb60KATKH