Ford Transit Connect Forum

6F35 tranny rebuild at 62k

Eddy Kilowatt

I took my new-to-me 2015 wagon to local dealer service, to have them do something about the green-and-yellow brake fluid in the reservoir that I posted about a few weeks ago.   While handing over the van I also mentioned the delayed and harsh 2-3 upshift, and general minor clunkiness at random times on other shifts.

I didn't think those issues would make me stand out from thousands of other 6F35 owners, but lo and behold... they called to say that I just had two colors of DOT4 in the reservoir and they wouldn't do anything about the brakes... but by the way they reproduced my shift symptoms and noticed a shift flare too, so they were pulling the trans to do a service bulletin on the valve body and replace some clutches while they were in there. (!)

That was Tuesday and I've heard one update on Friday that parts were due in Saturday and Monday... so we'll see how it turns out.   I have a sneaking suspicion I happened in there during a slow week for their trans tech, and they were happy to see some warranty work they could charge to Ford.  (It's a CPO vehicle with powertrain warranty to 100k).   It'll all come down to the skill level of that tech, but the service advisor seems confident they can get it running like it's supposed to.

Further news as it happens...

16 hours ago, G B L said:

Well it is good that it was warranty, I  wonder what the charge would have been if you had been out of the 60000 power train warranty?

It's a Certified Pre-Owned, so warranty now goes to 100k.   I noticed the clunky shifting during my test drive, decided to have faith in the warranty and not scuttle the deal (which I'd driven 100+ miles to make)... if it had been a private-sale deal five miles from home I'd have probably passed on it after the drive.

I'm glad that Ford was there for me, so far, as I really didn't expect this level of repair.  (I guess they didn't either or they wouldn't have CPO'ed the car.)    I considered the harsh shifts to be annoying but not damaging, but as I read more about the 6F35, my alarm level grew.  So I'm happy with the direction things are going at the moment; as DavidParker said, kicking off ownership with a well-rebuilt trans is nothing to complain about.

Edited by Eddy Kilowatt

@project bike truck - Thanks for the update on your repair. What symptoms did you experience to make you want to get it checked out?

I'm wondering if my transmission would need the same. It's not the smoothest thing at times. Makes me wonder if a repair like yours could make things better.

My van just turned four years old with only 18K miles so I've got a year left on the transmission warranty to sort this out.

Did the techs have problems getting your low rider onto their lift?

5 hours ago, Eddy Kilowatt said:

I'm glad that Ford was there for me, so far, as I really didn't expect this level of repair. 

Did you get a roadside assistance card?  With new cars, Ford has an auto club type program that will send a tow truck.  

Good enough for me to cancel my AAA Auto Club membership.  

I used it once.  Got in the tow truck with the driver; and the tow truck smelled like weed.  

"Dude, your tow truck smells like weed."

"Uh, yeah.....you want some?"

• 3 years later...
On 1/15/2019 at 3:53 AM, Fifty150 said:

6F35 has been in service enough that there are known issues.  Hopefully, a transmission builder will offer a remanufactured transmission with those issues corrected.

Hi Fifty150,
I'm rebuilding a 6F35 now.  What are the known issues?

I also have an issue with the 1-2-3-4 cutch measurement.  It's supposed to be .002-.072  Mine is .078 and I've replaced the friction plates and steels.  Also, when I took the trani apart, the original steels looked burned/heated.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

No thoughts. I know nothing about building a transmission. I only know how to change the oil.

Sorry I can't help.

There are other people on this website who are extremely knowledgeable.  Hopefully, one of them can help.