Ford Transit Connect Forum

3 front seats

JPEvan

Has anyone converted a 2 seater connect to  a 3 seater that is the front passenger seat. Just need to transport 2 kids to school 5 min run.

have a 2014 model does anyone know if seat mountings are same for both types of seat. Cheers for any ideas

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  Not entirely useful.  Mainly because I am a fat American, and I can't imagine squeezing 2 fat people into that small space.  But interesting.  You will need 2 very small people to squeeze in there.  It also looks like you lose the center console & cup holder.  

I don't even think that is legal in USA.  I recall something about the seat being 18" in width, and equipped with a safety belt.  From the photo, that middle seat does not appear to be 18" wide.  Although I am probably wrong about 18", but there has to be a minimum seat width.  After all, you can't install a belt & buckle every 12", and call the back seat of an economy car 4 passenger seating capacity.

It would be interesting to re-engineer with a full bench seat, column mounted transmission, and a floor pedal for the emergency brake.  

On 1/24/2019 at 3:05 AM, Fifty150 said:

I don't even think that is legal in USA.  I recall something about the seat being 18" in width, and equipped with a safety belt.  From the photo, that middle seat does not appear to be 18" wide.  Although I am probably wrong about 18", but there has to be a minimum seat width.  After all, you can't install a belt & buckle every 12", and call the back seat of an economy car 4 passenger seating capacity.

The OEM rear bench seat in my '14 TC seats three and the center seat belt (including the shoulder belt) is built into the seat  -  When I remove the seat, the belts come out with it

Don

On 1/24/2019 at 1:58 AM, mdarren said:

Interesting mod. Wish there's a  write up about the process.

That's not a mod, it's a factory seat (maybe an option?) in Europe. 

Fifty150, click on the link right above the pic I posted, there's a bunch of pictures showing how the seats operate, with a small storage spot under the middle seat. Here's a compilation of a few of the pics.

Seat.thumb.jpg.0b0b480d6d55b50bf567104ed9ffa016.jpg

It would have been nicer to have a wide bench seat, with a column shifter.  

Those seats are an option in Europe.  I actually like the utility of the design.  I just would not want to be the passenger sitting there, as they do look a bit narrow.  There must be some sort of safety regulation here in The USA, which stops the import of that configuration.  My first thought was seat width.  Since there is some sort of code regulating inches of seat width in correlation to safety belt placement.  But it could also be the airbag not being able to protect 2 passengers.  If the front airbag deploys, will it simply go between the 2 riders and push their heads to either side?  I never like airbags......broken nose & 2 black eyes!

I'm all for a vehicle carrying more passengers, not much more annoying than a big-ass SUV that seats four or five. But I'm wondering where the feet of the middle passenger is going to go? Can just imagine a left foot jamming on the accelerator during a short stop! Maybe its the right foot in Europe.

On 1/30/2019 at 7:14 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I'm all for a vehicle carrying more passengers, not much more annoying than a big-ass SUV that seats four or five. But I'm wondering where the feet of the middle passenger is going to go? Can just imagine a left foot jamming on the accelerator during a short stop! Maybe its the right foot in Europe.

The pedals in RHD are still from left to right: Clutch (for manual) - Brake - Accelerator, just like in the US. So it'd be the right foot, but on the clutch or footrest if an auto.

Lap belt is out of the question as the shifter is right in front of the middle passenger. I have the seat back in down position for 99% of the time and it creates a wide armrest with a "desk" and two cupholders like in big pickups. 

There's also a cupholder in front of the middle seat just south of the shifter and next to the handbrake button. There are storage compartments and AUX socket under the middle seat as well.

It's true that it's only good for three skinny people. Luckily I have retained a 34" waist throughout my life but anything over that is a tight squeeze.

transit center console.png

tc istmealune.png

• 3 years later...

Hi , we have a 2004  Ford Transit Van  3 seater so single drivers and dual passenger seat my question is has anyone had to replace the centre seat belt as the one we have has frays and wont pass a safety certificate here in brisbane  Australia. any clues folks.