Ford Transit Connect Forum

Transit connect reverse gear problem

Alano

Hi all Newby member to site.

I have a transit connect 2009. 61000 miles and clutch fitted at 52000 miles. Van drives like a dream in all gears but occasionally when selecting reverse gear it won't go in. It does go in after several attempts I have oiled and lubed all moving parts on gearbox and gear lever & cables etc. Any ideas anyone on possible cause or fix ??? All your answers will be much appreciated many thanks Alan .

Have you tried going into first and then going  into Reverse?  If the new clutch has different material it could have a slight drag when released.  Reverse gear does not have a syncro so the gears need to be stopped or almost stopped to engage.

Hi 

Yes when I try selecting other gears and gently putting in reverse it does go in to reverse but not every time on 1st attempt it has been fine for 9000 miles since clutch fitted

Edited by Alano
Incomplete

Hi in response to your last message GBL even though all other gears engage fine ??? It does however feel ever so slightly stiff in others gears now and then but like I say ever do slightly stiff but they always engage properly. Is there nothing to rectify this.??? So it's nothing to do with gear selector that bolts on to gearbox or cables ??? Gearbox man locally to me says leave it it won't get worse but it shouldn't be doing it and it is annoying.

My first thought is that reverse is a non synchromesh gear.  Ive had transmissions in the hazy distant past that would act like that.  Second thought is that the clutch may not have enough freeplay and is actually transmitting a bit of power or spinning the transmission a bit even with the clutch peddle depressed all the way.

I'm not sure you don't have transmission issues.  Many years ago I had a 1985 Merkur XR4Ti which destroyed its transmission.  If I recall one of the symptoms was difficulty engaging reverse.  Or may have been the Fiesta (1978) that had a bearing go bad which caused play in the shaft.  I got lucky on the Fiesta, it had a magnetic drain plug which collected the metal and all it needed was a replacement bearing.  When the XR4Ti was right it was very quick for it's time.  

2 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Many years ago I had a 1985 Merkur XR4Ti

That was a good car, which didn't sell well.  Sort of like the Ford Probe, which nobody bought either.

But plenty of people are willing to buy the Ford Fiesta.  

Ford needs to stop selling small cars.  Clearly, they don't know what they're doing.  They should have stopped back when the consumers stopped buying Ford Taurus, and started buying Toyota Camry.  Every little car which isn't that great, only serves to diminish your reputation as an automaker.  Chrysler's K Car saved Chrysler, and ruined it at the same time.  They sold a lot of those little cars, which saved the company financially.  But the reputation of the K Car, even today, would stop me from buying a Chrysler.  Even if Ricardo Montalban does a TV commercial, pushing the "Corinthian Leather".

Hi the van has the new set up hydraulic clutch and gear stick selects gear via 2 cables I enclose some pictures. Hope these give you some sort of idea as not sure if selector needs replacing or cables etc.?

Screenshot_20190117-150531.png

Screenshot_20190117-150007.png

Screenshot_20190117-144234.png

Screenshot_20190118-134059.png

Screenshot_20190118-133941.png