Ford Transit Connect Forum

tc Gen differences

Hi all, first time poster here,

My 2013 TC XLT camper conversion was just totaled in an accident. I'll post some pictures when I can. I've decided I'm going to get another TC  with the insurance money but I'm torn between getting a first gen or second gen. I loved the XLT features but I figure I can do without or DIY some things, like the backup camera. Can anyone attest to living in a second gen with the 4" lower roof? Is it too low? I'm 5 6" and I got by hunched over in my 2013...but I figure an LWB is a whole foot longer sso it is bigger overall. Also, can anyone clarify for me, 1st gen TC XL don't have power windows or locks, but the current gen XL does? 

Thanks! 

On the 2nd gen, AC is standard, but power locks/windows are "Optional", but pretty much every dealer around specs their lot orders with power L/W since everyone expects them these days. Like Fifty150 said, you'll want the LWB for the extra length to work with, but the lower roof is not-so-great on G2, so there's tradeoffs. You'll have the footwell behind the front seats to work with, though - you might be short enough to stand fairly comfortably there even with the lower roof. I'm 6ft tall, so I still have to hunch over when standing in that well. If you get a cargo van, take out the false floor to be able to use the deeper well; reports are that some/most 2014's are welded in, but all 2015+ are just bolted in. The length of floor in LWB behind the front seats is right around 7ft or so, near floor level.

Thanks all.

jrm, can you describe the footwell for me? I've seen glimpses of it in video but I imagine its underneath the plastic cargo matt on most vehicles? Do you have any idea how deep and wide it is? It sounds like an optimal place to put a house battery and propane, if its big enough.

13 hours ago, Egerry said:

Thanks all.

jrm, can you describe the footwell for me? I've seen glimpses of it in video but I imagine its underneath the plastic cargo matt on most vehicles? Do you have any idea how deep and wide it is? It sounds like an optimal place to put a house battery and propane, if its big enough.

Sorry to hear about your accident and losing your TC. Bummer! Glad you're okay - most important.

I have a 2015 LWB Cargo Van. Below are pics of the footwell area you are asking about.

I turned this 'hidden' space into a storage area, which was greatly needed. 

With the original carpet cut back, which has molded foam that can be quite thick in areas, the depth is about 11-12".

The width is basically 48" with two 20" sections and an 8" wide hump in the middle that has a shallower depth.

The platform has three pieces: two sections of decking and a brace that bolts to the floor of the van.

P1060384.JPG

P1060385.JPG

P1060388.JPG

P1060407.JPG

P1060441 lr.JPG

P1060473 lr.JPG

Windguy got the pics up already, so I won't put more here. But, if you go to my profile and then Albums, there's pics from when I took out my floor the first time & some of the pics have a measuring tape showing depths and such.

I will say that if you don't care about having the plastic steps by the sliding doors, you can just squeak a 60" wide chest toolbox on top of those brackets in Windguy's first pic (the silver brackets at bottom of pic, the plastic steps normally mount to them). Right now I have a 48" chest in that spot and it's too narrow, but I have a 60" that I'm still cleaning grease and crud out of because the guy I bought both boxes from is a diesel mechanic. When the 60" is ready, the 48" may go by the back barn doors, instead. I'll have to get a pic of the setup soon, supposed to be decent temps here in a couple days so I can get the extra junk out of the van.