Ford Transit Connect Forum

2019 Transit Connect early review

herb

I would like to drive one to see just how bad the motor/trans combo is.  I know that in a lot of car reviews, the vehicles are never fast enough or handle well enough.  I once read a review on a lincoln towncar, and the writer said it handles like a pig.  I thought, "Duh, did you think it wouldn't".

On the other hand, I know my 2018 gets caught searching for the right gear once in a while and I wonder with the smaller motor and 8 speed it happens more often.  I know that Ford dropped a gear from the original GM/Ford co-developed 9 speed.  Maybe they discovered that the motor just doesn't work well with this transmission. 

Anyhow, I quick test drive should answer the question.

14 minutes ago, davidparker said:

I know that in a lot of car reviews, the vehicles are never fast enough or handle well enough.

Man, you can say again.  Actually, I don't even think they're particularly aware of the nuances of handling.  It's all about can it shove you back in your seat, does it have the latest assortment of marginally useful and potentially distracting "driver assist technology"... and in this jaw-dropping case, snif snif, "the infotainment screen isn't particularly large".  Rare is the reviewer who puts him/her self in the shoes of someone looking for something other than a vehicle to gun around some pre-arranged drive on scenic country roads for the media showcase.

But it also sounds like Ford hasn't solved the mystery of how to make a smooth-shifting automatic with more than three forward speeds. ?

Compared to other minivans, Transit Connect comes in last and I get that.  If you could choose, Honda & Toyota are the best choices.  

Compared to other City Van commercial vehicles, Transit Connect is way better than the options from Chevy, Dodge, & Nissan.  

Transit Connect has a market segment. Commercial mostly. Guys like me who would never dream of a $40K Honda hauling debris to the dump.  Guys like me who only want to spend $20K, and keep the balance in my pocket.  

The criticism about the TC lacking power concerned me at first but after driving my 2018 around before purchasing it i didn't agree at all , it has plenty of "Get up and go" what do these reviewers expect,  it's a van that is built to get the best mileage possible for doing delivery type work and the cost of fuel is a huge consideration for businesses to whether they decide to buy it or not.

I bought a 2018 because i like the styling better than the new 2019 especially the area around the fog lights and i wanted the more powerful 2.5 liter engine NOT the new 2.0 liter which loses considerable horsepower compared to the 2.5 but does have the new 8 speed .

I also did not like the new dashboard layout on the 2019 but it does come with Sync 3 which means nothing to me i don't even use Sync 1 .  Lots of new safety features which also mean nothing to me , very pleased with my 2018 though .

The one area that Ford concentrated on was in improving the seats , many said the wire frame inside the TC's seats on each side was uncomfortable but i never noticed it , the seats feel great to me .

In the above short review they complained that the new seats are not comfortable even though Ford did use more robust foam in their construction .

24 minutes ago, Fifty150 said:

Compared to other minivans, Transit Connect comes in last and I get that.  If you could choose, Honda & Toyota are the best choices.  

Compared to other City Van commercial vehicles, Transit Connect is way better than the options from Chevy, Dodge, & Nissan.  

Transit Connect has a market segment. Commercial mostly. Guys like me who would never dream of a $40K Honda hauling debris to the dump.  Guys like me who only want to spend $20K, and keep the balance in my pocket.  

I don't compare minivans to the TC in any way shape or form , it's not anything like a minivan , reviewers who compare them are way off base.

Totally agree herb.  My daughter has an Odyssey and it is nicer than my TC.  But I didn't want an Odyssey I wanted a van that I could haul stuff like my scooter or motorcycle or bicycle or an appliance or whatever.  Only advantage the Odyssey has is it can hold a longer box than my TC.  For taller cargo the TC wins hands down.  It is a great van that can haul people, some cargo and has wonderful headroom.  With mine I have hauled a scooter one day, the next day hauled my two 5 year old grandkids and then hauled something like a dishwasher.  IMO the car reviewers only want lots of seats in a big SUV, lots of HP in a car like a Corvette or Porsche.  Maybe I'm just more cynical in my old age but the media reviewers seem to spend very little time actually learning about the products they are reviewing and more time drinking coffee in Starbucks while surfing the web.

As for Ford, I think they have a major case of brain fade - the accountants must be running the company again!  It fine to have the 2.0 in the 2019 as long as they have another engine choice.  The 2.0 turbo that makes 250HP would be a wonderful addition to the van and could totally transform its character.  Don't see how the gas mileage could get worse.  It handles very nicely, Ive had more fun thru the corners with it than a van should be capable of.  The Odyssey is not a fun vehicle in the corners but the TC with it low stance and firm suspension handles pretty well.    

The Barn Doors were the thing that made me look at the TC wagon, if that goes away I am out.  One other plus is a radio with dedicated buttons that I don't need to look at while driving.

Edited by G B L

I love my 2017, mostly use it for hauling purposes, not a minivan. The only things I like about the 2019 are the exterior colors, especially the Kapoor Red, and the Blue. I would have chose the Kapoor Red in a heartbeat. In fantasy land, I'd convert mine to a Euro M-Sport, and add a Focus RS powerplant and drivetrain.... yea, well, dreams are free where imagination and money are endless.

With today's technology, almost every fantasy build is possible, with enough funding to make it happen.  

Transit Connect surely could benefit from a little more HP & Torque, knowing that commercial users are loading the van down with ladders, lumber, piper, wiring, and tools.  Not to mention whatever they are delivering......it's not always cakes & flowers.

I would love if Ford increased power and torque but i'm convinced they won't if it effects gas mileage in a negative way ,  people have been wanting more power for years so what does Ford do , they install an even less powerful 2.0 liter engine with an 8 speed transmission for 2019 , brilliant lol.

All manufacturers have to meet Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards set by the Federal Government.  For some cars, this leaves a lot of performance on the table, as the car is tuned so that it could be sold with better mileage.  The aftermarket steps up with tuners and performance parts for the end user.  With Ford, it's usually Mustang & trucks which have the power potential.  With as many years on the market, if there was a way to increase Transit Connect's power, there would be a package and it would be popular.  Even a Honda could be increased with bolt on accessories and HonData.