WillMartin

OEM tires and wheelspin

As I already said, I upsized to 235/65R16 General AT2 tires - they're all-terrain truck style tires & 1" diameter taller than stock, which means they're slightly more difficult to spin than smaller stock tires. And they still break traction, even on dry pavement, with me driving like an old man. So it sounds like you'll need "sticky" high-performance sports car tires for your wife to drive the van, Mustang GT-esque tires on a cargo van, haha.

Just like with a Mustang, you get used to "all that power".  You only need to get a few tickets, and you'll learn.

Yeah, I'm not used to the kind of awe inspiring acceleration a TC is capable of.  It's a truly intimidating performance beast.

We need to start a post for everyone to post their moving violations in a Transit Connect.  I want to see all of those "exhibition of speed" citations.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:13 PM, jrm223 said:

As I already said, I upsized to 235/65R16 General AT2 tires - they're all-terrain truck style tires & 1" diameter taller than stock, which means they're slightly more difficult to spin than smaller stock tires. And they still break traction, even on dry pavement, with me driving like an old man. So it sounds like you'll need "sticky" high-performance sports car tires for your wife to drive the van, Mustang GT-esque tires on a cargo van, haha.

How's the traction of the general tires on wet roads? I like the aggressive look of all-terrain tires so I'm thinking of putting them on my TC.

They're pretty decent, and of course in mud, too. I've gotten the van stuck in my own damned yard many times because it gets swampy at times and the General's are a lot better at self-extraction than the OEM Conti's ever were. 

OEM tires were only meant to be driven on paved roads, in optimal conditions.  Sure, a little rain is fine.  Your yard is "off-road".  It's mud.  It's swampy.  Glad to hear that with better tires, the van can get out of a yard.  

Not as crazy as it sounds.  I've seen it before.  People park on a grassy area.  It rains.  Or they wash their car.  The soil saturates.  Car is stuck.  Happened to one of my buddies once.  He parked in the grass next to his driveway.  He didn't want to waste the overspray and water.  Figured that it was better going into his patch of front yard, instead of running down the storm drain.  Washed his car.  Went to move it.  Tires spun and the car sank into the soft soil.  Got mud all over his freshly washed & waxed car.  I had to go there with my truck to pull his car out.