Ford Transit Connect Forum

2019 TC behind the plastic moldings over the wheel wells and inside the sliding door?

I'm looking at a 2019 cargo XL Short Wheel Base for  a very small, modest, stealthy camper conversion.  Space will be tight. 

Anybody know or got photos of what is behind that plastic molding over the wheel wells?  Can I remove it? I'm asking because I need to anchor two steel support brackets from side to side over the wheel wells and I need the full width of van (at least 55 inches) .

How about inside the sliding door behind the mdf panel around where the step is? I need another 3 or four inches of space inside the door around where the step is

Additionally, anybody know what the exact measurement is from the inside of back door to that center console armrest on the short wheel base? I think it's 78 but want to be sure.  BTW, anybody know if that armrest can be removed cleanly?

Thanks.

tcq.JPG

Edited by cyberpine

I found this.  Anybody know what those two nubs are? what are they for? are they fixed steel? anybody know what the distance between them might be?

Also by chance anybody removed the panel on their liftgate? got a picture? how much empty space is inside there? 

ftcraw.JPG

The armrest is a two piece assembly.  You could remove the top part if you desire.  The "nubs" are pockets for the sliding doors.  They are fixed and even if you cut them out, the door sliders will need that space.  Sorry!  You may want to consider a long wheel base version.

@cyberpine - I would also suggest getting a LWB model instead of the SWB.

You're really going to appreciate that extra space picking up an extra 16" of cargo length.

There are a few forum members with SWB vans but they are in the minority. Not sure if any of them use their vans for camping.

I have barn doors in the back of my cargo so I can't speak for a liftgate version, but I doubt you're going to capture much space in there.

Same for the sliding doors. Below are two pics showing that with the masonite panels removed.

slider door open.JPG

P1060468.JPG

21 hours ago, cyberpine said:

I'm looking at a 2019 cargo XL Short Wheel Base for  a very small, modest, stealthy camper conversion.  Space will be tight. 

You will want the Long Wheel Base.  Unless you are very short.  You need to be able to lay down without curling into a ball.  And you will have a very difficult, if not impossible, task of finding padded mats to fit.  With the long wheel base, you could just about tuck a twin or full mattress pad (the kind without the springs).