Ford Transit Connect Forum

Yikes... cloudy brake fluid

Was poking around under the hood of my new-to-me 2015 TC, and came across this dismaying sight in the brake fluid reservoir.

I theorize that the dealership (it's a CPO vehicle) got water in there when they were pressure washing the engine bay, but who knows... I've never actually added water to DOT4 to see what happens.   Hopefully the whatever-that-floc-is is recent and hasn't been there too long, or migrated too far into the brake system.

I've parked the car for now and will schedule a trip to my local dealer (not the selling dealer) as soon as the holidays are over.  My thought is they should separately drain the reservoir, then after that flush the full brake system... but I don't suppose I'll have much influence on what they do other than making that stuff go away.

Capture.JPG

Get that stuff out with a turkey baster, and refill with fresh fluid.  Then bleed the lines.  That is about all that can be done.  

Oh yeah, don't return the turkey baster where you found it.  Clean it out and store it in your tool chest for later use.  You don't want The Old Lady to cook you a dinner of brake fluid gravy.  Pretend like you have no idea what's she's talking about, then offer to buy her a new one.  If you luck out, like me, she nevers says anything, and just buys a new turkey baster herself when she notices the old one missing.