Ford Transit Connect Forum

K&N 33-5002

Fifty150

I was baffled by the K & N filter not being listed for my 2018 also ,  i suppose you can call the company and ask about it.  The "It should fit" & " I don't know why it wouldn't fit" comments aren't that reassuring to me lol.  

In the turbo world it seems everyone installs a "high flow" air filter. But there is serious doubt if they improve performance. Add a new air box, cold air intake, new hoses etc and the vehicle will sound different but real measurable gains on a Dyno are elusive. Only after upgrading the tune or turbo do you see real performance improvements. 

Install the K&N if it filters better and you want it, but don't expect more horsepower. 

1 hour ago, Don Ridley said:

In the turbo world it seems everyone installs a "high flow" air filter. But there is serious doubt if they improve performance. Add a new air box, cold air intake, new hoses etc and the vehicle will sound different but real measurable gains on a Dyno are elusive. Only after upgrading the tune or turbo do you see real performance improvements. 

Install the K&N if it filters better and you want it, but don't expect more horsepower. 

I never believed it would make a vehicle perform better at all actually , i would only be interested if it performed as well as a regular air cleaner but with the benefit of just being able to maintain it yourself which it does allow that .

I have read a lot of negative experiences with the K & N's on other forums with people saying it performs no better and often times slightly worse than other air filters with some claiming it has allowed more particles in the engine even when it's the exact fit for a specific vehicle .

So i'm really up in the air about it.

No air filter, by itself, will do much of anything.  A reusable may filter better.  Maybe not.  It's expensive enough that by the time you buy the filter, the cleaning solution, and oil, you really don't save money.  

A better flowing filter, an intake, a tuned exhaust, and a Dyno tune could add a little to any and every car.  A turbo or supercharger adds more.  You can port and polish heads, add an underdrive pulley, use electric water pumps, take out all the seats and anything which adds weight.......or spend the money on a faster car.   

In theory, if it works, a better flowing filter allows more air.  Your mass air flow sensor will allow for the computer to adjust the fuel accordingly.  At the same throttle position, more air and fuel in the combustion will produce more power.  That's all in theory.  If the theory works.  Of course, in theory, you will also need a better flowing exhaust system.  Headers, high flow catalytic converter, mandrel bends and glasspack mufflers, and a shiny chrome tip.  

To make a car, any car, go faster, it requires the correct combination of a lot of different parts.  Changing 1 part alone will not net anything significant.  

If you just change the filter, your advantage is the filter.  You won't have to change paper filters.  I have seen some paper filters that needed replacement at every oil change interval.  Your math will vary.

100% filtration = ZERO air flow.  Nothing can get into your motor.  So where do you find the balance?  The OEM factors in what is a reasonable amount of filtration vs air flow, to work efficiently in your engine.  Anything which allows for more air flow, also allows for less filtration.  The theory behind oiled filters is that the oiled media will trap and hold particles of debris, while allowing for more air flow. 

According to Mishimoto:  Generally, high-performance dry filters can catch up to 99% of the incoming contaminants due to the smaller micron size of the filter media, while oiled filters catch about 98% of what passes through – a minute difference, but a difference none-the-less.

Before my time, but my dad remembers when oiled filters were common, and not such an aftermarket novelty.  

In today's disposable world, the paper filters are more convenient.  You or your mechanic can simply install a new filter.  How would you like to leave your car in the shop for a few days?  You or the mechanic cleans the filter, and let it dry overnight.  The next day, the filter is oiled,  and the oil is allowed to saturate and settle overnight.  Day 3, the filter is reinstalled and your car is back on the road.  Now comes the reality that you also don't know what you're doing when oiling a filter, and like most people, apply too much oil.  

Worry not, you can order a custom made dry filter from AFE.

Back to fitment.  The 2018 owners manual says that Ford MotorCraft FA-1910 is the air filter part no.  The K&N Cross Reference shows MotorCraft FA-1910.  It will fit.  Period.  You can install this filter into your 2017 and 2018. 

Now you will have to decide if you want to drink the Kool Aid.

tc parts.jpg

afe custom.jpg

kn test data.jpg

kn veh.jpg

kn x ref.jpg

The engineers do a pretty good job sizing the air filter.  The only time when the flow  is compromised  is when the element becomes very restricted .

The Oil bath Air Cleaner is more expensive to put on the car. If it is well designed it is easy to service and maintain.  It is much better than the oiled gauze K-N style.

oil bath air filter.png

i am not sure that any production cars have them in the US any more.  It would be available on industrial equipment.  I would expect that you could find one as a  option on a 4 wheel drive utility vehicle destined for delivery in some dessert countries.

The install is harder now that they are trying to funnel the air in from out side the under hood area. 

Depending on driving conditions, your paper air filter can last for 1 oil change, or tens of thousands of miles.  

At 22,000 miles, I thought it was a good time.  Filter didn't look that bad.  But it wasn't that good.  While not completely black, there was enough debris between the folds of the filter element that I felt it was time to be changed.  Feathers, styrofoam, insects, and all kinds of other stuff was in the folds.  

Price + Shipping
Condition (Learn more)
Delivery
Seller Information
Buying Options

$17.89 

New

• Free Two-Day Shipping: Get it Thursday, January 3.

Amazon.com

Add to cartfrom seller Amazon.com and price $17.89

$20.08

& FREE Shipping

New

• Arrives between January 7-10.
  • Want it delivered Tuesday, January 8?Choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
  • Shipping rates and return policy.

Auto Parts Wholesale

Business Seller 

5 out of 5 stars 97% positiveover the past 12 months. (13,050 total ratings) 

Add to cartfrom seller Auto Parts Wholesale and price $20.08

$15.09

+ $5.00 shipping

New

• Want it delivered Wednesday, January 9?Choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.

North Jersey Discount Auto Parts

Business Seller 

4.5 out of 5 stars 87% positiveover the past 12 months. (566 total ratings) 

Add to cartfrom seller North Jersey Discount Auto Parts and price $15.09

$18.29

+ $2.00 shipping

New

• Want it delivered Tuesday, January 8?Choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.

AutoPartsKart

4.5 out of 5 stars 89% positiveover the past 12 months. (7,300 total ratings) 

Add to cartfrom seller AutoPartsKart and price $18.29

$20.77

& FREE Shipping

New

AIMS AUTO

Business Seller 

4.5 out of 5 stars 91% positiveover the past 12 months. (1,714 total ratings) 

Add to cartfrom seller AIMS AUTO and price $20.77

$17.06

+ $3.95 shipping

New

• Want it delivered Friday, January 4?Choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout.

Greenway Ford

4.5 out of 5 stars 93% positiveover the past 12 months. (3,604 total ratings) 

Add to cartfrom seller Greenway Ford and price $17.06

$21.18

& FREE Shipping

New

• Arrives between January 8-11.
  • Want it delivered Friday, January 4?Choose Two-Day Shipping at checkout.

Car Part Kings

4.5 out of 5 stars 86% positiveover the past 12 months. (10,895 total ratings) 

Add to cartfrom seller Car Part Kings and price $21.18

$15.52

+ $6.20 shipping

New

AladdinAutoParts Inc.

4.5 out of 5 stars 92% positiveover the past 12 months. (1,060 total ratings) 

Add to cartfrom seller AladdinAutoParts Inc. and price $15.52

$22.50

& FREE Shipping

New

Autoplicity

Business Seller 

4.5 out of 5 stars 95% positiveover the past 12 months. (17,092 total ratings) 

Add to cartfrom seller Autoplicity and price $22.50

$23.31

& FREE Shipping

New

Quality Automotive Products

4.5 out of 5 stars 94% positiveover the past 12 months. (155 total ratings) 

Add to cart
  • Motorcraft FA1910 Air Filter Assembly

Motorcraft FA1910 Air Filter Assembly

Price: $17.89 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Once you factor in pricing going up & down, plus tax, and retail pricing in auto supply stores.....$20 a filter.  

K&N is good for 1,000,000 miles.  If I replace the paper filter every 10,000 miles, that is 100 filters, or = $2000.  If I use 50 filters, $1000.  

We all know that you will probably not have your Transit Connect for 1 million miles.  So adjust your math accordingly.

At about $40 out the door for the K&N, which is double the cost of the paper filter, I see real world savings on the back end.

IMG_20181229_100456435.thumb.jpg.e19d47fcb25eff24ce6e3e2942c5fbd1.jpg

I kept the paper filter to have something to use when I clean the K&N.  

So far, no noticeable difference.  I felt no increase in power.  Which is to be expected.  

IMG_20181229_100456435 2.jpg

Edited by Fifty150