Ford Transit Connect Forum

License plate mount

petermbooth

I have a brand new 2018 TC and I'm putting on the new license plate (replacing the temp one from the dealership).  One of the screws that hold the plate on is spinning along with it's insert so that the screw can't come out. I opened up the back side (inside) panel of the door so I could grip the insert shaft get the screw to spin out.  Unfortunely, behind the wood panel in the back door is a tight plastic gasket type of plate. I could easily remove it or punch through it but I wanted to see if someone here could tell me what its for (I'm thinking insulation) and how bad it would be to remove it or slice a small slit to allow a pair of plyers to get through to hold the insert.

(I've attached a photo of the plastic covering I'm talking about)

IMG_9069.HEIC

The doors have a vapor barrier between the metal door skin and interior panels. I personally would not cut it, but if you did you could repair it with glue and/or tape. 

But, I agree this is a warranty issue. The screws are metric and somebody probably tried to install the wrong screws. I would use this as an excuse to buy a rivet nut tool on Amazon. About $60 with nut inserts.

Astro Pneumatic Tool 1442 13" Hand Rivet Nut Setter Kit - Metric & SAE W/ 60pc Rivnuts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TODXQW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mGVfCbZMQ6V74

Agreed on the warranty issue part. Temp plates and frames are installed at pre-delivery service and the installers usually use a power tool to install the plates and frames. This can strip out the plastic or metal nut in the body, making it difficult to remove the bolt/screw, just spinning around. The trick is to apply pressure behind the frame with a trim clip tool, prying outwards while unscrewing it to get the bolt out. But if you have access to the Ford Dealer, let them do it.

Actually it's not necessarily that someone used the wrong screw , dealer used the correct screws with my 2018 but the rivet nut spun freely anyway .  I'm not driving and waiting for the dealership to do warranty work on it , i just opened up the back and put some glue on the rivet , no problems since.

@petermboth - congrats on your new van. Please post some pics.

I've removed those plastic vapor barriers so I could add sound deadening material to the doors. Helps a lot with road noise.

It's easy to peel away the barrier and then put it back when done. The adhesive around the edges has a good tack to reattach.

My van only had three barriers, missing was the one for the left side upper part. Not sure why Ford left that one off.

P1060442.JPG

P1060462.JPG

rear door plastic covers.JPG

Edited by windguy

Some vans were delivered from the factory without the screws and bolts for the license plate. 

Somebody goes to the parts area, grabs a little plastic packet of 2 screw marked "license bracket screw" and it's not the correct thread pitch.  Ford sells more than 1 part, little plastic packet with 2 screws, for mounting license plates.  Common mistake is that whomever does the new car prep at the dealership, used the wrong screws.    They all look the same.

ford-plate-screws.jpgRelated imageImage result for ford license plate screwsKIMG0041.JPGRelated image

The van door has a hexagon shaped hole, and a special 6 sided rivet nut is installed at the factory in Turkey.  

Luckily, this can be corrected.  The parts are available.  It's the same part as HN1 with the red arrow in the below drawing.

T010203707.gif?s=7591&k=4c998a8010ad8d2f04dde71c45642893

Plug - Special

Plug - Special - Ford (-W702222-S300)

• List Price:$3.50
  • You Save:$1.31 (37% off)
  • Sale Price:$2.19
 ADD TO CART   
 Provide your VIN at checkout and we will verify this part fits before shipping
Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Parts 
Lincoln Parts Mercury Parts
  • Manufacturer:Ford
  • Part Number:-W702222-S300
  • Part:Plug - Special

tc tsb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Yep.  My plate is screwed to the back of the van using self-drilling sheet metal screws for exactly this reason.  The front plate is screwed on with the wrong screws forced into the plastic mounting bracket.  Neither is going anywhere, and fortunately, neither has to go anywhere until the van is sold sometime in the distant, I hope, future.