Ford Transit Connect Forum

Hello everyone

herb

Signed up today , i'm a new Transit Connect owner .  I have been pleased with no complaints about the vehicle so far .  The only thing i have found out that i'm going to need is a sound system with a little more volume .

I am clueless however and i hope just upgrading the speakers will do the trick . 

This is where you discover that if it wasn't on the vehicle when it left the dealer, it's a challenge to add it later, because there are now few-to-no plug-in interfaces for add-ons, for example, satellite radio. Seems to be the wave of the future. I was very disappointed by the poor voice-activated system, and considered a touch-screen head unit replacement (I had been using them for years in previous vehicles). Then I was told by the dealer it would be very challenging (and pricey) to do so - certainly more than I would want to do myself as I age. It would also eliminate some of the stock steering wheel controls, which I was reluctant to do.

Factory radios in most cars are now much more complicated than simply a new radio and speakers.  They are tied into the car's computer to interface with the backup cameras, security systems, hands free voice activated features, and steering wheel controls.  Pretty soon, what we think of as a radio, will become the touchscreen for the vehicle's computer.  The entire car can be started, gears selected, lights activated, and features you cannot even imagine....all on the touchscreen of your radio.

Thanks for the comments guys , i was hoping that what Don said was possible as i do have the regular Sync system.

I never use it though as i'm not interested in that kind of stuff the van just happened to come with it.   I have seen peoples comments that claim the paper cone OEM speakers are poor and a speaker upgrade may make somewhat of a difference and thats all i want .

I'm not picky at all and even a minor increase in volume would make a huge difference for me.   So many brands and whether to get two way speakers or 3 way speakers and what sizes is baffling .

I believe the TC only offers 4 speakers total and i got that , some recommend better tweeters with the upgraded door speakers but when i search online for my specific vehicle , a 2018 TC model there's really nothing , everything seems to be for much earlier models .

Anyway thanks for the input.

Don't think the 2018 and previous couple of years had any big changes to the dash.  In 2016 they had the Ford MyTouch radio and in 2017 they went to the Sync3 which is a Sony system.  I have a 2016 Titanium with the Ford MyTouch and it's not bad.  Front seats sound is decent, I have a Volt with the Bose sound system and it sounds better but not by huge amounts.  When shopping I was open to getting a TC with the standard radio and my plan was to upgrade it with a 3rd party radio.  Spent some time looking at Crutchfields to see what was available.  Have not used it but there is a third party dash insert which will fit the double din receivers.  Most of the nicer units have plug ins for the backup camera and steering wheel controls.  I estimated $1,000 to $1,500 to get a nice head unit and some speakers.  Of course you can spend more.

Best sound system I had was on my 2013 ZX6R with a Two Brothers Shorty Exhaust.  :-)  Full throttle above 12,000RPM sounded incredible!  :-)  Problem was it was LOUD!  My wife almost banned me from riding it in our neighborhood - had to tiptoe out and not disturb the neighbors.   

The dash kit and harness are available.  But the real problem is that your aftermarket equipment may not support all the features of your car.  If you are an audiophile, OEM is never good enough.  But how much are you going to enjoy the better sound, in a vehicle with lackluster insulation and road noise?  If you want to do-it-yourself, start at Crutchfield.

51yw82Ukj2L._SL1000_.jpg61syc7aMyuL._SL1500_.jpg0000190058.jpgFactory radio removedFront speaker removedRear door speaker removed

•  YOUR CAR 2016 Transit Connect