Ford Transit Connect Forum

Drivers seat side trim broken?

Spooner

A couple months ago I was noticing as I got out of the van that I was hearing a clicking sound coming from the trim.  Couple weeks of that and the front section broke and now hangs away from the seat a couple inches.  I'm pretty surprised this happened as I'm not a particularly big guy (165 lbs) and I'm really pretty easy on the van.  I do have a lot of miles on it but I can't imagine I'm the first person this has happened to.  I was just seeing if this has happened to others and what they did to fix it.  I've tried just zip tying it but they always break.  Maybe I should just look up and see how much a new one is but its something you don't see unless the drivers door is open, its just an annoyance to me.

I've got the same problem with the broken driver seat trim.

My '17 XL LWB Van has less than 3k miles and was purchased new in early May 2018 so it's still under warranty.

Just haven't had the time to take it to a dealer yet.

I do have a few things on my list:

- BCM update to turn off approach mode lighting

- Driver seat trim broken

- Sun visors don't stay tight to the headliner and bounce around all the time

21 hours ago, Spooner said:

A couple months ago I was noticing as I got out of the van that I was hearing a clicking sound coming from the trim.  Couple weeks of that and the front section broke and now hangs away from the seat a couple inches.  I'm pretty surprised this happened as I'm not a particularly big guy (165 lbs) and I'm really pretty easy on the van.  I do have a lot of miles on it but I can't imagine I'm the first person this has happened to.  I was just seeing if this has happened to others and what they did to fix it.  I've tried just zip tying it but they always break.  Maybe I should just look up and see how much a new one is but its something you don't see unless the drivers door is open, its just an annoyance to me.

Sorry to hear about that. It would be great to see a picture of the trim you're talking about.

Sounds like mine minus the power seat controls.

It's the side plastic piece that faces the door, basically the lowest trim piece on door side of the seat.

Same deal on mine - it broke away at the front, otherwise the trim is still attached.

If I weren't so tired I'd go take a photo...

Maybe tomorrow, or maybe not as I plan to hit the bourbon (and the FOOD) for Thanksgiving.

This has been a problem for other forum members since the Gen 2's introduction. At least one tried to have it repaired under warranty without success. 

A permanent fix would be to fab a metal bracket that goes behind the plastic trim. The trim takes much of your weight as you slide out of the van.

The seats come out easily. The trim piece comes off with a little work (releasing tabs etc). Who wants to be the first to engineer a fix?

Yeah what I think it is, is that when you get out the side bolster pushes down and hits the top of the trim and is able to put a lot of pressure on it.  Over time the flexing of the trim breaks the mounting point.  Just a bad design.  They are plastic in every car I've ever seen, they just need more clearance from the seat to the trim.

• 11 months later...

My 2015 transit has had this same issue not once, not twice, not three times.......but 3 times on each side - drivers and passengers side. Ford had "fixed" the issue several times before the warrantee ran out - the last time I paid some out of pocket and now within a year both sides have broken yet again...I weigh 150# and it was suggested by the dealer that I am getting in and out of the van "incorrectly" or that my clothing is catching on the panel - seriously! I would have to be a contourtionist to get anything "caught" on that panel. I have a disabled mother and daughter and am tired of taking the transit in to be fixed...for the same problem. So right now I have 2 broken panels - again. I do believe I have pictures of all the breaks. Unsure why they can't fix it once and for all! Design issue...

They're using the exact same plastic pieces to replace the broken pieces, so you shouldn't be surprised when they break again. The one in my '15 van took roughly 3-3.5 years and nearly 100K miles before it broke, but I'm not really even worried about it. Yea, it kind of looks like crap - especially since I still left the 100% broken-off piece sitting there (hitting 111K soon), but I'm not going to spend money & time on replacing some useless cosmetic crap that will break again, lol. If you're worried about it lowering trade-in value a few bucks, replace it immediately before trade-in rather than 2, 3, maybe 4 times before you finally do trade-in. I bet you'd end up spending more money on replacing it all the time than what the trade-in value would actually go down by with a broken one. 

• 1 year later...

I experienced the same problem with my 2017 Transit Connect LWB Wagon with the Titanium trim and 45,000 miles -- the plastic seat valance panel (that is Ford's description of this part) on the driver's seat cracked where a screw holds it to the seat frame. so it popped off and away from the front area of the seat. Fortunately it did not break on the back attachment to the seat frame. I have temporarily used a long zip tie to secure the front of the valance panel to the front edge of the driver's seat. I do have a Ford extended warranty, so I will see if they will cover the part and installation, which my dealer's online parts catalog lists at just under $100 (that is pricey for a cheapy made plastic part). Obviously the plastic is too flimsy to handle the flexing that occurs on this part from vehicle motion. I know it is not due to my putting my weight on this part when getting in and out of the vehicle. Because of issues with my back, when getting into the vehicle I stand next to the open door with my back toward the vehicle, then hold onto the grab handle above the door and llower myself to a sitting position facing the outside of the vehicle and, once I am seated with my legs still outside the door frame, I lift my legs up and rotate 90 degrees to the proper seated position. I repeat this in reverse order when getting out, using the handle to pull myself to a standing position. Hence I have not exerted my weight directly on this part, and I know there was never anything that caught on it that would have ripped it loose, like clothing.

• 1 year later...