Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help me decide

16 hours ago, Sgsf12 said:

Update: I had to return the car to the dealership. Transmission started sliding badly on the highway for a few minutes and they didn't want to fix the problem and they coudn't guarantee they would fix it if it reappers.

So, I'm on the hunt again!

Good that you could return the car.  No "ALL SALES ARE FINAL" policy.  Glad that you did not get stuck with a bad car.  

Update #2

I went to see another Tc, 5 passenger version, 160kms, white, very clean.

I took it for a test drive, but couldn't even leave the parking lot from the dealership. Check engine light appeared and all power was gone, like it went into security limp mode. Dealer promised to fix the issue before my next visit.

Bad luck atrikes again!

2 hours ago, Sgsf12 said:

Update #2

I went to see another Tc, 5 passenger version, 160kms, white, very clean.

I took it for a test drive, but couldn't even leave the parking lot from the dealership. Check engine light appeared and all power was gone, like it went into security limp mode. Dealer promised to fix the issue before my next visit.

Bad luck atrikes again!

How embarrassing for the dealer lol.

LOL, agree that is a bad day for the salesperson but they need to get it right.  Depending on the problem I would not automatically write it off but certainly a bad sign.  My son looked at a Ford Focus ST which had a check engine light on and it was at the Ford dealership.  Car had some mods on it, price was way to high in my opinion.  For about the same price he bought a new one two days ago - at a different dealership.  Kind of like a shrunken flattened Transit Connect with some real horsepower.  Cabin is very familiar as to be expected and I finally get my car back :-)  

• 2 weeks later...

Update again:

I finnaly got my Transit Connect after a few weeks of patience and headaches. The car wasn't moving because of a faulty gas pedal module. Car was sent to the Ford dealership where they found a corroded wire going to the pedal and causing the malfunction.

I can finnaly say I have a 5 passenger, 4-window TC with no issues (so far) !

I will upload some pictures soon.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:29 AM, davidparker said:

@Sgsf12 - Congrats!  I am sure you will love it.  :thumbsup:

Thank you!

Now for the fun part:

1- License plate screws are completely jammed in their metal fixings. There is no way to unscrew them without destroying them. I tried penetrating oil, heat and hand power. Do you think I should simply grind them off and install new ones ?

2- I want to get rid of the factory radio and install an aftermaket double din unit with bluetooth and rear view camera also. Do you guys have any experience with wireless rear view camera kits? Are they reliable ?

3- My third rear brake light that's located on the roof is a bit cracked and I thought of swapping it with a euro brake light instead. Is this a hard job? Where should I order the parts from ?

Thanks again for the help

By the way, I'm really surprised by the way this thing drives, apart from the slow and outdated transmission, the rest feels very nice!

4 hours ago, Sgsf12 said:

1- License plate screws are completely jammed in their metal fixings. There is no way to unscrew them without destroying them. I tried penetrating oil, heat and hand power. Do you think I should simply grind them off and install new ones ?

Common hassle.  Several post on this forum.  It's human error.  Someone used the wrong bolts.  

4 hours ago, Sgsf12 said:

2- I want to get rid of the factory radio and install an aftermaket double din unit with bluetooth and rear view camera also. Do you guys have any experience with wireless rear view camera kits? Are they reliable ?

A dash kit is available for aftermarket stereo installation.  You will run into issues with aftermarket stereos being compatible with your OEM equipment....i.e. steering wheel controls.  

fd6211ddb_ford_transit_connect_dash_kit_

Most aftermarket backup cameras have a ground wire, a power wire which taps into the reverse lamps, and a video cable.  The video cable easily plugs into any aftermarket stereo unit with a video feed.  From what I've seen, any simple unit will do.  I installed a $12 backup camera sourced from Amazon.  Simple.  Cheap.  Works perfectly.  Do a search, and you will see that there are already forum threads on how to install the cameras.  

@Fifty150

Thanks for the help! I figured out the way to get the license plate screws out. I had to cut one of them and the other came out with some wd40.

For the aftermarket radio, I found a Pioneer avh-280bt for sale in my local used classified website. I will be getting it along with a wireless rear view camera ordered from China.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, Sgsf12 said:

Update again:

I finnaly got my Transit Connect after a few weeks of patience and headaches. The car wasn't moving because of a faulty gas pedal module. Car was sent to the Ford dealership where they found a corroded wire going to the pedal and causing the malfunction.

I can finnaly say I have a 5 passenger, 4-window TC with no issues (so far) !

I will upload some pictures soon.

Congrats on your new to you TC. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Congrats on your TC, it does drive very nicely.  

Glad you got the license plat screws out, on one of mine I actually pulled the nut part out of the body.  I then had a hole in the rear door of my brand new TC!!!!  They have metric threaded bolt holes which are an insert into the sheet metal and then crimped from the back side.  I couldn't figure out how to easily put a replacement in (part is very expensive for what it is) so I went with a license plate frame and sed two other bolt holes - carefully checking to make sure what size bolt was needed.  Got bolts at Home Depot and also cut down the license plate mounting bolts for the new frame to make sure they didn't go thru the new frame and rub against the paint.  2 hours of my time to fix something that would have taken a few minutes for the dealer to do correctly.

It's a really bad design from the engineers. After a few years and temperature changes, everything gets corroded in there and you're stuck with a pain job just to get a license plate on.

For the euro brake light, I found one on ebay with all the necessary parts. My question is: taking out the original one on top of the roof will leave holes, is there a simple way to cover them without risking water leaks ?

Well, I started getting electrical issues (no headlights -low and high beams, no front fogs, no left turn signals, airbag light is on)...

I hope it's only an open circuit short somewhere. I'm bringing the car back to dealership so he can fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update! (again)

Dealership finally found what was causing all the problems: wires that were passing inside the left front wheel well were rubbing against a metal piece which caused a few of them to get cut open and causing electrical shorts. Now, my headlights, flashers and airbags are working properly.

But, my front fog lights still aren't working... And, a new problem appeared, my left sliding door does not respond to my key fob anymore. I cannot lock or unlock it with my key. On the right side, everything works fine.

Let the adventure continue!

WOW, good you got some of it fixed.  Dealer should be on top of the other issues  After hearing about the cut wires I'd be suspicious about something similar with the other problems.  Seems like a lot of electrical issues for a vehicle that's not that old.