Ford Transit Connect Forum

Help me decide

Hi guys,

I am currently looking for a 1st gen Transit connect and cannot find the correct version in the used market right now. I am looking to get the one with the side passenger windows as well as the passenger bench seat.

There is a lot of Transit connects with no side windows and only front seats available.

My question is: would it be easier to get one with the front seats only and buy a used set of passenger seats and install it myself ? 

Thank you

I was VERY lucky to find my 2016 LWB Wagon [at used car dealer in  Oka, Que.]. Passenger versions, 1st or 2nd gen, are quite hard to find.

Would have liked a Ist gen as they are 6-7inch taller  and simpler bodywork, but my family was very against anything that old.  2nd gen do have some more "goodies" though.

Passenger models do have better sound/thermal insulation, seatbelts, etc. Also check SAAQ rules !!!

On 11/19/2018 at 9:03 AM, Sgsf12 said:

My question is: would it be easier to get one with the front seats only and buy a used set of passenger seats and install it myself ? 

That still wouldn't get you the rear windows.  I hear you  -  I don't think I've ever run across a Gen 1 passenger model

What's the thinking that makes you want a Gen 1 over a Gen 2 true passenger van?  The Gen 2 is a superior vehicle all around with the 6 speed auto, better gas mileage, much better suspension (you won't be regularly replacing wheel bearings) disc brakes on all 4 wheels and used passenger models are fairly plentiful.  I wanted the short wheelbase passenger model and they are a bit harder to find  -  It seems most passenger models were long wheelbase with seating for 7, which I didn't need  -  But the SWB models ARE out there is you hunt long enough

After a few months of research and looking at what's out there, we confined our search to only 2014's and newer models

Don

I test drove a Gen 1 XLT Passenger  model a year and a half before I bought the Gen 2 .  Front bucket seats and rear 60-40 bench,  has glass in the sliding doors, and the rear doors had glass and wipers.  There was no glass in the rear body panels .

Living in the Vermont Hills it felt like you needed your foot in the corner all the time.

Just got home after a freight run

Thanks for the replies guys, I am still looking for a passenger version.

There is one for sale with only 150,000kms on the clock, but it's in neglected shape (damaged bumpers, missing passenger headrests, missing rear wiper arms, scratches inside). But, it's a passenger version, which makes me want to pull the trigger on it.

There are a few 1st gens with 4 windows in the front but without the rear seats. Were they passenger versions before ? Would it be easier to get one of these and install the seats and seatbelts on it ?

Thanks again for the help

Here is a link too one in Mass i know it is a hike but it is exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=498420808&zip=05660&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D05660%26startYear%3D1981%26sortBy%3Drelevance%26incremental%3Dall%26firstRecord%3D50%26marketExtension%3Don%26endYear%3D2019%26modelCodeList%3DTRANSCONN%26makeCodeList%3DFORD%26searchRadius%3D300&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&firstRecord=50&endYear=2019&modelCodeList=TRANSCONN&makeCodeList=FORD&searchRadius=300&clickType=spotlight

Sgsf12 Have you tried H.Gregoire in Quebec??  They can always transfer a vehicle from one location to another if needed.  When I was looking for mine, they had some interesting offers.     Buying from USA "can" be a hassle with customs!

Edited by Gideon

18 hours ago, Gideon said:

Sgsf12 Have you tried H.Gregoire in Quebec??  They can always transfer a vehicle from one location to another if needed.  When I was looking for mine, they had some interesting offers.     Buying from USA "can" be a hassle with customs!

No luck at H.Gregoire sadly

And GBL, I'd rather stay away from american cars as there resale value here in Quebec is pretty disastrous.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 4 window one with no 2nd row seats. I will try and install them myself along with the seat belts on the side. Is that a hard job ?

The install difficulty will depend on if the mounting reinforcement is already on the vehicle .  If not then it is more involved.

As for the resale it is less important to me as the end result of most of my vehicles is the scrap yard after long service!

mrtn;   NAFTA (or the new version of it) applies to commercial import/export.  Private individuals need to deal with Canada Customs, Federal AND Provincial tax depts., and provincial licensing rules.  A BIG "PITA" !!

Sgsf12:  to the best of my limited knowledge, all transit-connects were imported as 'passenger' models to avoid the US "chicken tax". They were/are then stripped at a US plant and the removed parts are reused.

If you plan on converting to a minicamper, then your final choice is probably the best idea.

Edited by Gideon
added information

12 hours ago, davidparker said:

Sgsf12:  Check out this post.  Good info on your search for rear seats and the effort to install.  Let us know what you get....

Whoa, thank you for that heads up, it sure sounded more simple in my head than it is in reality!

There is a 2010 passenger version that just appeared this morning on kijiji. Passenger bench, windows, black colour. Problem is: 240,000kms, a bit of rust and heating not working. But at 3,500$ it's cheap. 

What do you guys think?

Ford transit  connect,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/ville-de-montreal/ford-transit-connect/1399881536?utm_source=com.google.android.apps.docs&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Note that gen1 models are quite different in seat assembly than gen2 (2014 +). Gen1 rear seats are removeable but not gen2.

As for that 2010, IF it was well cared for - not so bad BUT GET IT PROPERLY INSPECTED !! Heater not working, in our climate, NOT a good sign!  If it will be a family daily-driver, I would pass on it.

Also, in Quebec a dealer must give 30 days warranty (I may be wrong), private sale no.

Edited by Gideon

3 hours ago, Gideon said:

Note that gen1 models are quite different in seat assembly than gen2 (2014 +). Gen1 rear seats are removeable but not gen2.

As for that 2010, IF it was well cared for - not so bad BUT GET IT PROPERLY INSPECTED !! Heater not working, in our climate, NOT a good sign!  If it will be a family daily-driver, I would pass on it.

If the seats are removable and the floors have the proper holes underneath the liner, I should be able to get away with a 4-window model and adding a used bench in it.

Yes, that 2010 needs a bit of love indeed, but the heater not working might just be a small resistor issue, nothing serious.

Always those tough decisions! Good luck in your search. 

BTW, I had found my 2016 on Autotrader & Cargurus.  Have you searched either of those? I think kijiji & Craigs List are more popular for private while Autotrader and Cargurus seem more popular with dealers.

1 hour ago, Gideon said:

Not true for the Gen 2's with short wheelbase  -  The rear 60/40 bench seats in my 2014 are quickly and easily removable without using any tools

Don

Edited by Beta Don

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the Transit home and noticed a few things that needed my attention.

First, the abs/tc light is on. 

Second, the tpms light is on.

Third, the sliding doors don't unlock with my key fob.

Any suggestions? 

TPMS - check tires for leaks, add correct PSI to all tires, reset sensors.

See of you have a switch to turn traction control on and off. Maybe it's just turned off.  There could be a stored code. Get a code reader which is capable of reading the brake light codes.  

Update: I had to return the car to the dealership. Transmission started sliding badly on the highway for a few minutes and they didn't want to fix the problem and they coudn't guarantee they would fix it if it reappers.

So, I'm on the hunt again!