Ford Transit Connect Forum

Blower Fan Access

zman6945

I have a 2016 Ford Transit Connect XLT and I need help figuring out how to get at my blower motor - no, it's not burned out but it will be soon if I cannot get at it to clear it out!  This past Sunday I started up my van and the blower motor was very loud and vibrating the entire dash.  I was like, wtf! So I was trying to find where my blower motor is so I can find out why it's vibrating and shaking my dash -- all the google searches said it was behind the glove box and accessible from underneath the dash, so I pop the plastic rivets and lower the useless felt piece to find only ducts.  I lower my glove box and look behind it and find just my fuse panel.  I look over behind the center of the dash - there it was - smack against the firewall and full of leaves, so I try to access it from outside from the vents, nope, just more plastic duct work!  SO now I feel I must take my center dash apart to get at the blower motor to clean out the leaves and ensure nothing else is causing the noise - I want to find out if anyone here has had to do this job before I go removing my dash - it isn't going to be easy - I don't want to have to remove my radio as I believe it will need a code to work again if unplugged since it has satellite radio equipped. Anyone who can help me with how to best access the blower motor is greatly appreciated since Google results aren't showing my van repair instructions from you tubers.

What I cannot understand is how leaves got in there in the first place - the outside venting inlets are covered by mesh. So how did leaves get in there???  My auto repair man wants about $200 to do the job.  I just don't have money to waste on just cleaning out the fan!

Since you can see it, and see the leaves, can you get a vacuum hose with a crevice tool in there to suck it out?  Try taking off that top dash trim above the radio, and the center console trim along the floor under the radio..  That may allow more access.  

Image result for transit connect radio upgrade

I lifted my hood today.  Take a look at where the hood hinges are.  No trees on my block to park under.  Those leaves don't look familiar at all.  My best guess is from leaves just blowing in the air.  Now I've got to get a vacuum with a crevice tool, a very long extension cord, or just find someone who can suck & blow hard.

IMG_20181114_151802442.jpg

IMG_20181114_151850195.jpg

• 4 months later...
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, zman6945 said:

I have a 2016 Ford Transit Connect XLT and I need help figuring out how to get at my blower motor - no, it's not burned out but it will be soon if I cannot get at it to clear it out!  This past Sunday I started up my van and the blower motor was very loud and vibrating the entire dash.  I was like, wtf! So I was trying to find where my blower motor is so I can find out why it's vibrating and shaking my dash -- all the google searches said it was behind the glove box and accessible from underneath the dash, so I pop the plastic rivets and lower the useless felt piece to find only ducts.  I lower my glove box and look behind it and find just my fuse panel.  I look over behind the center of the dash - there it was - smack against the firewall and full of leaves, so I try to access it from outside from the vents, nope, just more plastic duct work!  SO now I feel I must take my center dash apart to get at the blower motor to clean out the leaves and ensure nothing else is causing the noise - I want to find out if anyone here has had to do this job before I go removing my dash - it isn't going to be easy - I don't want to have to remove my radio as I believe it will need a code to work again if unplugged since it has satellite radio equipped. Anyone who can help me with how to best access the blower motor is greatly appreciated since Google results aren't showing my van repair instructions from you tubers.

What I cannot understand is how leaves got in there in the first place - the outside venting inlets are covered by mesh. So how did leaves get in there???  My auto repair man wants about $200 to do the job.  I just don't have money to waste on just cleaning out the fan!

I now have this problem too but I can see obvious signs of little rat bastard mice under the hood. Probably going to have to put it in the shop to get the mouse habitat out. Somehow.

I hate those guys.?

• 8 months later...

Since this is up came for me, for replacing the blower fan. Tools need, 10mm socket, t20 torx, ratchet. I high recommend an inspection camera for putting eyes on the blend door screws. The above PDF is correct, though it doesn't seem correct. The socket and extension is for removing the blend door cage. There are 3 t20 toxs screws. Royal pain in the ass. pull the cage out through the glove box, it takes some finessing. The 2 pictures attached show the location.  To remove the blower motor, there is a tab near the plugin. Push and turn, then the blower come out the glove box. Then it goes back together fairly quickly compared to getting it out. 

20191225_141610.jpg

20191225_141605.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 12/25/2019 at 2:24 PM, Rokku said:

Since this is up came for me, for replacing the blower fan. Tools need, 10mm socket, t20 torx, ratchet. I high recommend an inspection camera for putting eyes on the blend door screws. The above PDF is correct, though it doesn't seem correct. The socket and extension is for removing the blend door cage. There are 3 t20 toxs screws. Royal pain in the ass. pull the cage out through the glove box, it takes some finessing. The 2 pictures attached show the location.  To remove the blower motor, there is a tab near the plugin. Push and turn, then the blower come out the glove box. Then it goes back together fairly quickly compared to getting it out. 

20191225_141610.jpg

20191225_141605.jpg

Tried this yesterday and could only find 2 screws.. ended up damaging the cage.. . Used the PDF link but it definitely seems to to be wrong..  where is the 3rd screw?