Ford Transit Connect Forum

Engine Swap

Doc Hoy

I originally put this is the wrong topic.

I have a 1TC which was giving me fits which finally wound up as a top end problem. I opted for an engine swap from a wrecked Focus. When I got the truck back, it had substantially more power than the original motor (when it worked properly) and substantially more power than my 2012 1TC. In doing some reading, I have learned that the 2.0 Duratec motor came in two versions. 1 produced 136 HP and the other produced 140 HP. But the improvement in performance of this 1TC can't be explained by a mere four HP.

So are there other versions of the 2.0 or the later 2.3 that fit in this truck that are hotter engines?

I can break the tires loose on this truck from a standing start. I am having to be careful not to twist an axle or hose up the transmission.

GBL....Don't know. The engine seems to interface with the computer properly. No odd alerts and such.

150.... Agree and that would have to be true of the other 1TC I own and operate daily. The two trucks had essentially identical performance before the 2012 began to act up.

BTW, I got them mixed up in my lead in post. The 2012 is the one with the engine swapped out. The 2011 will less miles on it runs fine. Sorry for the confusion.

• 2 weeks later...

Update......

Performance of my 1TC with the replaced engine has changed. It now runs exactly (to my ability to compare) the same as the 2011 1TC. I don't have to be careful not to break the tires loose any more. It doesn't drop into a lower gear so quickly when accelerating at speed anymore. It doesn't seem to have substantially more power than the 2011 any more. There are still no alerts on the dash. Sounds right. Seems to be fine.

I only have one potential explanation:

When I was reading the articles on the internet about swapping the injectors, I read several times about removing the battery cables from the battery and shorting them together to discharge capacitors in the computer allowing the computer to "relearn the shift points for the transmission." When I did this after the injector change, I did note the process of the computer learning the shift points. Seemed to be a little off for the first coupla dozen miles, then settled down to good even performance.

So I am wondering if there are other things the computer has to "learn" about a new engine. Maybe mixture, or timing advance.

Anyone smart on the computer?

Guys,

I am thinking that is what happened. It makes sense given the performance chips marketed to improve the performance of engines through no other means than changing how the computer operates the engine.

I had a 2003 BMW Z3M with a Dinan performance chip that added about 60 horse power. The downside is that it was too much power for the frame. It pulled the weldments for the differential carrier away from the frame. $3,000.00 repair.

For what it's worth, my 2010 will spin its front wheels at times.  I think the tires may be old and hard, and it generally happens on a wet road.  It sometimes happens on a dry road, which makes me wonder if maybe it is relearning.  It had a mostly flat battery right before I got it.  I don't mind slow, so I hope it's learning to make less power.

If you're worried about tires slipping off the line, I don't think you'll ever want a TC2, haha. Mine has constantly spun the tires since the day I bought it brand new - and I don't do it on purpose. The 2.5L & 6 speed has more than enough torque off the line to spin brand new tires on dry pavement. 

You can feel the torque steer on the Gen2 also.  I just did not think the little engine had enough power to do that.  I discovered that on my test drive.  Dealership salesgirl was wide eyed, and speechless, as I chirped the tires and the steering pulled hard on take off.  I looked at her with bewilderment, and said, "first time in a minivan, do they all do that?"

So does anyone know what things the computer is programmed to "learn" about a new performance feature such as a replaced engine or performance impacting work done to an engine or to  "relearn" perhaps even on a continuing basis?

I have two data points about shift points:

1. I read several time (or listened to a video) that the computer relearns shift points

2. I know that the patterns in shifting of my 2012 1TC changed over a period of about four days after the motor was replaced.

So in addition to shift points, what other things does the computer monitor and adjust for?