Ford Transit Connect Forum

2014 Factory Radio Head Unit Intermittent Issue

doitdub

Hey everyone, I'm curious if anyone has had this issue... Occasionally my factory radio will have a 10-15 sec delay/lag when trying to change stations/volume from the steering wheel controls and the touch screen, but if I adjust the volume from the knob it will work fine even during the lag from the other controls.

Along with this, have also noticed sometimes when I turn off the car and the radio continues to play for sometime even if I get out of the car. Normally it will turn off once I open the car door. If I'm going in for the night or parking, I'll just hit the power on the radio button but the light stays on like it's still got power temporarily. By the time I get back, it's off so I can only assume there's a lag going on there as well.

This doesn't happen very often, but enough for me to ask about it. Anyone any ideas here? System update? Head unit on it's way out? Not sure what to check and would rather avoid the dealership especially with an intermittent issue like this... 

Thanks!

Edited by doitdub

The head unit is called the Audio Control Module (ACM). It communicates with the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM controls when it turns on/off when opening doors etc. If you have a scanner or Forscan you could check for a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) related to the ACM. A DTC would likely show any comm errors. If the ACM is faulty it should be straightforward to replace it with a used unit from a salvage yard if you can find one.

If the dome lights and other items turn on/off when you open the doors then the door switches and BCM are probably OK. So many items are connected and controlled by other modules that old school troubleshooting wires and switches may not be helpful.

On 10/28/2018 at 6:08 PM, Don Ridley said:

The head unit is called the Audio Control Module (ACM). It communicates with the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM controls when it turns on/off when opening doors etc. If you have a scanner or Forscan you could check for a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) related to the ACM. A DTC would likely show any comm errors. If the ACM is faulty it should be straightforward to replace it with a used unit from a salvage yard if you can find one.

If the dome lights and other items turn on/off when you open the doors then the door switches and BCM are probably OK. So many items are connected and controlled by other modules that old school troubleshooting wires and switches may not be helpful.

Thanks Don, I appreciate the reply.