Ford Transit Connect Forum

Side Cameras

WillMartin

I have.  My results were mixed.  It works, but the wide angle lens of the camera distorts the distance.  For me, it's fine.  I just needed to check for oncoming vehicles while I backed out of parking spaces.  So the distance is not really an issue.  It there is a car in the picture I wait.  I would not use it to check for traffic at a "V" intersection, to much distortion to verify the speed of the oncoming traffic..  I mounted the camera next to the passenger window which allows me to quickly switch my view to the window after I get partially out.  I really like that location for this purpose.  In fact, I like it better than the center mounted backup camera which requires moving my view from the mirrors to the center and back when I'm backing.  I used a 5 inch camera.  If I were to do it over, I think I would try to find a 7" that would fit. But, I definitely would not be happy with a 3.5".

Here is a link to my post.

If you want a better picture of the image.  I can take another.  I just grabbed on real quick one before posting and its not very good,

I added detail installation pics in my gallery:

I meant 5 inch monitor not camera.  I mounted the camera in the trim above the taillight.  The 2010 doesn't have that trim piece so you will have to find a different location for the camera.  I would probably stay away from the bumper area, since the location would probably be too low to get an effective picture.  You may be able to make a clip/bracket to mount it to the lip of the door.

6 hours ago, davidparker said:

I mounted the camera in the trim above the taillight.

6 hours ago, davidparker said:

I would probably stay away from the bumper area, since the location would probably be too low to get an effective picture.  

You used the upper trim, which on Titanium trim level has a reflector?  If it's the same location, that is where I installed an LED strobe light.  I'd like to see the installation and how you aimed the camera.  

Another good reason not to use the bumper is that someone will hit it.  People tend to tap bumpers when they park.  My aftermarket camera is on the trim piece above the license plate.  From that location, the aftermarket camera offers a great view.  Much better than I expected for a $10 or $20 camera from Amazon.  Amazon has a lot of cameras, really low pricing, and free shipping.

KIMG0162.JPG.b5100aa4f549a5baa16481ddf4f9a8da.JPG

KIMG0154.JPG.8201ead5bdaa3a610229fd2023ac46ee.JPG

On a 2010, this is very similar to the OEM camera which you can mount on the trim piece above the license plate.

61RXR7FGIvL._SL1200_.jpg

Chuanganzhuo Front/Side/Rear View Camera, Universal Normal Image Car Reverse Front/Side/Rear View Bakcup Camera For All Car,Black

Amazon'sChoicefor "front camera"

Price: $15.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

I have a camera like this on my 2016, which you could also use on a 2010.

Car Rear View Camera With LED Night Vision 140° Viewing Angle Waterproof 

by SINOVCLE

• Car Rear View Camera With LED Night Vision 140° Viewing Angle Waterproof
Price: $10.49 Free Shipping for Prime Members

FREE Delivery by Monday 
if you order within 8 hrs 22 mins. Details

My pickup has this camera, which you can install on a 2010.

• Car Rear View Camera, GerTong License Plate Backup Camera Color HD Waterproof Night Vision 170° Wide Angle Viewing Reverse Camera
Click image to open expanded view

Car Rear View Camera, GerTong License Plate Backup Camera Color HD Waterproof Night Vision 170° Wide Angle Viewing Reverse Camera

by GerTong

Amazon'sChoicefor "rear camera for car"

Price: $13.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Edited by Fifty150

Yep Fifty, that's the trim panel.  I used a flush mount "ball" camera that I could rotate in the mount to get the proper angle and orientation.  If I have to replace it, I think I will go with a "bullet" camera next time.  The "bullet" style would be much easier to mount and aim.  I have loaded pics of the install in my gallery.  Here are links to the flush mount camera i used and the one I would probably choose now.

https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/safesight-top-ss-442m-rotating-ball-type-cmos-camera.html

https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/top-ss-211m-313m.html

That is an interesting camera.  Any trouble with it bouncing around then needing to be aimed again?

With the wiring under the door hinge, was that your final installation?  Any issues with it running under the hinge that way?  I can't really see from the photo; did you use a grommet and silicone to seal the hole for the wire run?  I ran my camera wiring through the rubber grommet harness for the taillights.  I just made a little cut with a pocket knife, pushed the wire through, then resealed it with silicone.  The LED strobe lamp wire goes under the trim panel, under the tail lamp assembly to run along the OEM taillight wires, and down through the bumper, to run over the wheel well and along the body sill trim.  Did not drill through the body.  But now that I see where you drilled, it looks good.  I would consider it if I install anything else.  

That bullet style camera looks like what Doc Hoy mounted on top of his door mirrors.  Not a bad idea.  I would consider that installation also.  Only thing that I would do different is to mount the camera on the bottom side of the mirror.  I like the location of the monitors on the dashboard where the A-Pillar is.  Very natural to look at the mirror, and see the monitor.  Which is why my backup cam monitor is mounted onto the rearview mirror.  

Hi. here is my set up to deal with the blind spots.

i have a 2016 xlt. van came with back up sensors and no factory back up camera

i added to first cameras above the license plate.

second camera to right rear trim. pictured below.

IMG_7809.thumb.jpg.8216265b0f3e9cc306ded2aa8ed66280.jpgIMG_7810.thumb.jpg.57b3d9ee77cc602495ad0d802518a55a.jpg

I added a 7" monitor with 2 av channels. av1 is the rear view, which i leave on all the time.

the picture is better than that. camera not focusing.

IMG_8221.thumb.jpeg.a7f0d32790e8c3a435a2e68bd247e365.jpeg

when I want to check my blind spot, right rear I switch to channel av2

IMG_8220.jpeg.336be109499ff566ddba3464240ea8de.jpeg

it really helps when backing out on parking lots. i really don't miss having rear or side windows now.

Edited by BobbyP
spelling

I haven't had any trouble with the camera moving, but if you push on it hard, it will move.  But then, I did not tighten the friction ring in the mount really hard, since I knew I would have to "fine tune" the angle and did not want to have to remove the trim piece again.  In hindsight, I would have preferred a set screw type mount rather than the friction ring.

I have not had any issues with the wiring.  I was going clean it up with some stick-on clips, but just haven't done it yet.  Yep I used a grommet and then siliconed after.  No leaks (I checked).  However, I had the find the "right" grommet.  It is a flat heavy duty grommet, not the typical smooth edge grommet.

1 hour ago, BobbyP said:

IMG_7810.thumb.jpg.57b3d9ee77cc602495ad0d802518a55a.jpg

That is a very nice looking installation.  Clean.  How did you install the other camera angle?  What does the wiring look like?  Did you run wiring into the cabin, or on the outside, under the van?

thanks for the positive feedback on the install. i wired the side camera to a hot near the aux 12 volt in back. ran the wires behind the tail light. fished the lines thru where the light wires power the tai light.  video line i ran along the inside and under the door moldings then all the way up under the roof liner. don't remember where i grounded it. must be in the back. came out clean, all wires hidden. my van didn't have a rear view mirror so had to modify the supplied mount to to factory mount or stub for the mirror.  

IMG_8223.JPG

The best of my recollection is that I used the power and ground from the reverse lamp, so that the camera activated when shifted into REVERSE.  I have a lift gate, so I removed the rear panel and trim piece to install where I wanted.  My wiring was similar to yours.  Instead of down, I went up.  From the rear of the vehicle, I tucked the wire run up into the headliner, and straight to the mirror.  My install was on the driver side.  One of the photos shows the passenger side, but it's the same idea.  Only in reverse.  Those are not photos of my van.  Just images found online.  But you can tell from the photos, how easy it was to push the wire into the headliner.  I have trim tools, but I could have done it all with my fingers.

wire run 2.jpg

wire run 1.jpg

30 minutes ago, BobbyP said:

IMG_8223.JPG

Very nice DIY install.  Not easy to do when you have to improvise parts and mounting brackets.  That is one of the most creative and clean installations of aftermarket equipment I've seen on this forum.  Looks like it could have been factory installed.  

On my one backup camera, which I installed aftermarket, I believe that the view is sufficient.  

Sorry about the poor quality photography.

You can see in the photos that the entire street behind me, with oncoming traffic, is visible.  On the right side, you can actually see the corner of the bumper of the car parked next to me.  And the mirror part does work, despite the fact that my windows have limo tint.  

It could be that the camera I bought was "wide angle".  It could be the installation location.  But it is sufficient for backing out of parking spaces.  I don't think that I will need an additional camera in my upper trim piece.

CameraZOOM-20181022151008248.jpg

cam van.jpg

CameraZOOM-20181022124816456.jpg

CameraZOOM-20181022125751318.jpg

CameraZOOM-20181022150939463.jpg