Ford Transit Connect Forum

2012 TC trans fluid capacity?

I Googled '2012 Transit Connect Transmission Fluid Capacity' and got an answer from the pdf of the 2013 owners manual  -   Should be the same transmission

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/servicemanuals/ford/2013-transitconnect.pdf

Page 245 says it holds 7.1 quarts.  I'm pretty sure this is the 'total capacity' which would include the fluid trapped in the torque converter and that's usually half or more of the total.  If you're just draining the trans itself and not the torque converter, I suspect you'll get less than 4 quarts out of it . . . . but it that's all you're changing, you will lave less than 50% new fluid in the trans after one drain and refill

There's a chart online somewhere which shows how many quarts you would have to drain and refill to get a 80% or 90% or 95% fill of new fluid  -  Close to a complete change.  I used 18 quarts of synthetic ATF in my 2014 when I did the first change.  I plan to drain and refill 4 quarts every 10,000 miles from here on in

Don

If you drain into a paint mix bucket with measurement lines, you will know exactly how much came out.  Then when you go to refill, you can refill with the exact amount.  You will also note those weird measurements, like 3.2 quarts, and 4.2 quarts.  Your fluid will come out of a quart container.  If you wan an exact measurement, 0.2 quarts is equal to 6.4 ounces.  A trick for that measurement, as learned from Honda guys who are obsessed over exact amount of motor oil, is to use a specimen cup.  The cup which the doctor tells you to pee into.  It is marked for measurements.  You don't even want to know what I had to do, to acquire a pee cup from a doctor's office.  But I managed to add one to my tool collection.  If you really can't find a good measurement container, "borrow" your girlfriend's bakeware.  Clean it out afterwards, and she won't know that she is baking automotive fluid cakes.

CameraZOOM-20181022153739877.thumb.jpg.e2af953154f70c41b96ec52faa570251.jpgRelated imageRelated imageRelated image