Jump to content
  • Custom Search


LESD

2015 TC transmission fluid change

Recommended Posts

If the transmission is not up to temp you still need it to be running.  You can take a small tie wrap and make a 90degree bend 3/4 of an inch from the end with the level plug  out you can put the tie wrap in the hole and if the oil is on the end of the tie wrap then the level is ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

 

There's a filter.

 

You will not be changing it. It's inside the transmission case. The transmission has to be removed, and split open in half, in order to change it. 

 

No worries.  The filter is just a screen.  You will be fine as long as you are changing the fluid.

 

 

That's insane what Nazi designed that one where you have to remove the trans and split the case to get to a filter?🤒 Then to add insult to injury the manual says replace fluid at 150k miles.. All this gives new meaning to the words maintenance free when in reality most transmissions which are very expensive to begin with need the most preventative maintenance,,ha...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember the basic warranty is 3 years 36000 miles and the power train warranty is 5 years or 60000 so if they could get away with it the Tc would have explosive bolts that were set to go  off some time after that when the car was unoccupied !!

With all the transmission filters that i have changed  if the filter was full of debris then the transmission was already cooked.

If the fluid was changed at the right time and never run low and there was not too much abuse an oil drain and flush would be enough to insure good service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 3:40 PM, '14 Connect said:

Then to add insult to injury the manual says replace fluid at 150k miles..

That's because Ford advertises it as 'Lifetime Fluid' which lasts the lifetime of the transmission . . . . . unfortunately, sometimes the transmission lifetime is only 75,000 miles

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Beta Don said:

That's because Ford advertises it as 'Lifetime Fluid' which lasts the lifetime of the transmission . . . . . unfortunately, sometimes the transmission lifetime is only 75,000 miles

 

Don

Exactly!!...On a different note, I just bought this '14 so am just getting used to it but I noticed when ice cold then driving for maybe 60 seconds the coolant needle goes from cold to halfway up where it should be when operating in normal temperature range hot in like 60 seconds have you noticed that on yours??.. Most other cars takes like 5-10 minutes when driving to get halfway, its crazy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, '14 Connect said:

Exactly!!...On a different note, I just bought this '14 so am just getting used to it but I noticed when ice cold then driving for maybe 60 seconds the coolant needle goes from cold to halfway up where it should be when operating in normal temperature range hot in like 60 seconds have you noticed that on yours??.. Most other cars takes like 5-10 minutes when driving to get halfway, its crazy...

I've noticed that too. My guess is a more efficient cooling system with a smaller capacity. Which is great when it's cold out. let it idle for 5 minutes and I have warm air. My dodge diesel takes 20 miles before I get heat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An idling diesel engine does not make much heat. Large trucks have shudders on the Radiator to to keep the temp up in the cold weather. Idling Gasoline engines are much better heaters in the cold weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diesel has more BTUs than gasoline. The reason for the shudders and longer warm up time is the cooling system capacity. The transit 2.5 engine takes approximately 6 quarts of coolant. A cummins 6.7 takes 8 gallons! A Cummins ISX15 (that is 15 liters) that comes in many series 8 trucks takes 15 gallons of coolant. It's impressive that the design of the ford engine and cooling system can keep the engine cool enough with only a gallon and a half of coolant.

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, G B L said:

An idling diesel engine does not make much heat. Large trucks have shudders on the Radiator to to keep the temp up in the cold weather. Idling Gasoline engines are much better heaters in the cold weather.

You are correct, GBL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes diesel fuel has more btu's per gal.

It also wastes less energy as waste heat ,which is why a diesel gets 30 percent higher mileage.  In the cold climates the  medium duty trucks and busses with out shudders use covers to keep the operating temp within range .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×