Ford Transit Connect Forum

2015 TC transmission fluid change

LESD

I have 2105 TC and the transmission fluid needs to be changed. I can't find any videos or info on how to do this at home. I can find info for the 2014 but where they say the oil level plug is, mine isn't there. Can someone shed some light on this please?

. . . . and changing it 3 times actually only gets you to about 85% new fluid in the system.  I changed mine 4 times to get it closer to 100%, but theoretically you could change it 20 times and never actually get to 100%.  I used Castrol TransMax Full Synthetic Multi-vehicle which is Ford approved for Mercon LV applications.  Believe it or not, I found it on-line for just $5 per quart with FREE shipping from Advance Auto Parts.  I initially bought 16 quarts for my first change and later ordered 12 more so I can do a 4 quart change every 10,000 miles when I do my oil changes, so I've got enough for another 30,000 miles.  At $5 each, I shoulda bought more as I know I'll never find it for that price again.  I paid less than $5 more for 16 quarts, than you paid for 3!!

Don

Edited by Beta Don

The Castrol does not appear to come up online from Wal*Mart & Amazon.  Castrol has a whole bunch of ATF, all called Transmax.  But I don't want to buy the wrong fluid by mistake.

1984314226_castroltransmax.thumb.jpg.13e35495a78b3af00489ce794147431d.jpg

Pricing and availability factors in.  I did not order from Tasca.  I did not want to pay for shipping.  If I don't get free shipping, then I may as well buy local brick & mortar.  Instant gratification.  I am also looking at Valvoline.  Weird how they say that you can use it for Mercon V & LV.  But not Mercon V in California.

maxlife.thumb.jpg.1208afe5d090afcc0a12e78b12c11b78.jpg1958253811_maxlifewally.thumb.jpg.823ef35c9bee48e81443de7c66299fb7.jpg

Advance Auto still sells in online  -  Their regular price is $9.99, but I got a 25% discount coupon for all online orders when I clicked on it.  The $5 'super sale' I got still runs from time to time, I think.  What was amazing was . . . . free shipping for all orders of $50 or more, so I bought 16 and then later on, 12 more

Pepboys has it for about the same price , $7.81  -  No need to be paying Fords ridiculous price!!

https://www.pepboys.com/castrol-transmax-full-synthetic-multi-vehicle-transmission-fluid-1-qt-/product/832809

They call it 'multi-vehicle' because it goes in any Ford requiring LV and also in any GM trans made and any Toyota.  Don't confuse it with Trans-max Import multi-vehicle which is completely different stuff

Don

I used the  Valvoline  LV compatible fluid for the Second fluid change and it had the same dark color as the Mercon LV fluid. 

I am using this fluid    Triax Global Synthetic ATF - OEM Grade Compatible with Allison TES 295, BMW, Audi, Mercedes Benz, VW, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler +4, Ford Mercon V/LV,...

for the third change  I will let every one know how this fluid holds up.

The temp of this Transmission is above 175 F all the time and that may make the fluid work hard. The temp of the L480E in My 3500 Chev express is around 140-160 F . I Report in 22000 miles

Trans fluid.png

It looks like an interesting product.  I'm skeptical that they can blend an ATF to meet all of those specs from so many manufacturers.  Just for Ford, it says Mercon V, LV, & SP.  The bucket also says, "fill for life".  Almost too good to be true.  I get the feeling that this is about the same thing as what Jiffy Lube uses.  Looks like something that is sold to shops who don't want to carry 30 different fluids.  Let me know how it's working for you.  I worry about transmission slipping and shifting hard when you use "multi spec" ATF.  And if anyone is sending in their used transmission fluid for analysis, that data would be interesting also.  

81sFhcOzcJL._SL1500_.jpg81vJz6nRHiL._SL1500_.jpg

• 1 month later...

Our 2015 TC seems to stay in 2nd longer than it should, I was thinking that a fluid change may help.  Its almost to 99,000 miles.  Was talking to the dealer about the slow shift out of second and immediately got the "you've got a 150,000 mile full synthetic fluid..."  so I might have to kick and scream to get them to change it.  

1 hour ago, Appraiser249 said:

Our 2015 TC seems to stay in 2nd longer than it should, I was thinking that a fluid change may help.  Its almost to 99,000 miles.  Was talking to the dealer about the slow shift out of second and immediately got the "you've got a 150,000 mile full synthetic fluid..."  so I might have to kick and scream to get them to change it.  

maybe you've got a service writer who does not know what he is talking about.  You have a lot of miles on the car.  Have the fluid exchanged.  No reason for a dealership to refuse $300 of your money.

Thought there was a documented issue with slow shifts.  Id certainly be wanting a fluid change.  Only have 12,000 miles on mine but in another 12,000 going to change fluid.

As for the Triax fluid that is impressive but probably not so much difference between different automatic transmissions.  Basic operating principles are the same and don't think the differences are that great so maybe a single fluid will work as they claim.  Biggest issues with transmission fluid is high temperatures causing a breakdown of the fluid.  G B L I'm curious as to how you are measuring the temperature?  Is it thru the OBD port interface?  I have the module and the software and might be interesting to look into.

From personal experience, multi-vehicle ATF never really works as well as when you use the OEM spec fluid.  I've tried spending more money on fancy brands, and all with mixed results.  Amsoil, Lucas Oil, RedLine, Amalie, Royal Purple......  

With Honda, only Honda spec fluid works well.  With Ford, when the spec was Mercon & Mercon V, everybody I knew who used a multi-vehicle ATF from the auto parts chain store or chain lube shop, experienced hard shifting, slipping, and poor engagement.  I suspect that with the current spec for low viscosity fluid, it will be much the same.  I'm not particular with brand.  Some people swear that you must use Ford Motorcraft.  My feeling is that any brand will work, as long as it is actually LV fluid.  And there are several brands which sell fluid which is actually LV.  Not something that says "meets or exceeds", then goes on to list every vehicle on the road.  If 1 fluid could do it all, then all the manufacturers will just that 1 fluid.   

I know there are people who insist on their boutique oil brand, and how they have a great ATF.  My personal choice is not to use any ATF which is not specific to your vehicle.  I will stick to whichever bottle actually says "LV"

When a lube shop or garage will only use their multi-vehicle ATF, then I will not allow them to service my car.  Same way I do not get oil changes with a coupon, where the coupon staes "4 quarts of 10W-40".  Weird how those shops will argue with you about how they will only use their fluid, instead of using the right fluid.  Notice how a dealership will never use "multi-vehicle" anything?  

The Shift quality of my TC has been and remains very good .  I Think that the Oil companies that make the fluid are able to match the Oem speck very well.  I also suspect that they are already making the Oem fluid.

If the oil company wants to make a quality fluid they can.  The fill  for Life part is Crap.

The thermostat in this gear box holds the temp at about 175 for operational reasons.  This trans works the fluid hard and so do I. 6000 miles into the third flush, the vote is still out

will report back later.

Transit Connect  Cargo.png

On 12/14/2018 at 5:52 PM, Appraiser249 said:

Mine too (2015 w/ 60k)... holds 2nd longer than it ought to (close to 3k rpm even when accelerating slowly), then shifts to 3rd less smoothly than it ought to (less smoothly than all the other shifts).

Member "Project bike truck"  found this service bulletin relating to harsh/delayed shifts into 3rd or 5th, don't know if he was able to get any help from the dealer on it:

I haven't taken this issue up with a dealer yet.  That'll be step one, before changing fluid myself.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, PhotoAl said:

G B L I'm curious as to how you are measuring the temperature?  Is it thru the OBD port interface?  I have the module and the software and might be interesting to look into.

The Scan tool I use gives Real time data on the Fluid temp. I have checked the fluid temp on all the Vehicles in my fleet. The TC is at the top  for temp.  It does not seem to run much hotter even when I am towing a  1500 lb trailer.  10000 miles into the 3rd fluid change  .  It will be interesting to see how the Triax fluid holds up.  The shift quality remains good.