Ford Transit Connect Forum

2019 TC Alarm System control

Just picked up my new LWB Transit Connect Wagon. 

It has the anti theft alarm with interior motion sensors.

The owners manual gives some advice on deactivating the motion sensors. They can be on, off or set to ask each time whether I want them on or off.
Apparently that's how it works on other Ford models, possibly on earlier TCs, but there are no controls to do that either on the sync screen settings or the dashboard settings.

Service department says there's no way to deactivate the motion sensors and they could possibly crawl in there and disconnect them if I want.

Well, I don't want them disconnected, I want to be able to use them if I lock the vehicle empty or deactivate them when I have the canine co-pilot along.

Apparently there's no way to lock the vehicle without activating the alarm either.

Thinking of trying  black tape over the sensors but there should be some intelligent way of disabling the sensors in the TC if it can be done on other models.
Anyone from Ford monitoring this forum?   Could this possibly get fixed with a software update? 

As you know the owner's manual mentions changing the settings with the information display.

My 2018 Cargo doesn't have the motion sensors so I can't help you.  I think it is a new feature in the 2019's.

My guess is it buried in a submenu under "the Settings/Vehicle" option in the Information display.  However, the menus are not the most intuitive.  I spent a week trying to find where to turn the "911 Assist" audio reminder off.  And as you have already found out, the dealer is not going to be much help.

Let us know if you find it (it will help the next person!) and also let us know how you like your new wagon.

.....and stops your VCR from flashing 12:00  12:00  12:00.

Since there seems to be no way to disable the sensors, wouldn't it be nice if arming the alarm could be made optional.  Like, lock the doors with the key fob to arm the alarm system or lock the doors from the door button to skip the alarm.

In the old days........car alarms were a joke, did nothing, and couldn't even autolock manual doors.  On my pickup truck, I never even press the alarm button.  Simply lock the manual doors and walk away from the vehicle.  

Today, the key fob does so much, that you are screwed if anything happens to it.  One day, the battery will fail in your remote.  And it will be in the middle of the night, in the middle of nowhere, and not even a tow truck will be able to help you......unless that AAA driver has a little remote key fob battery to sell to you for $100.  Now that there are no more Radio Shack stores, there is nowhere to buy a little battery like that over-the-counter.  

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem in my new 2019 wagon.  It really is driving me nuts.  The manual still says that it can be disabled, but the option still does not exist.  I suppose I will go with the black tape solution but it really is frustrating that the manual is inaccurate.  Dealers of course have no idea.  I assume you never got anywhere else on this?

Edited by mgordon

It doesn't look like anyone has this figured out yet.  I want to tell you that there may be a solution if the dealer has a tech guy who can get into the programming of the body control module. This is where the perimeter lights can be turned off, fog lights can be reprogrammed to work with the high beams, keys can be reprogrammed, et cetera.   Allegedly FORScan is a program that has been able to do a lot with different models of Ford cars.  One of the forum members installed a different steering wheel, and was able to activate cruise control, on a Transit Connect which did not come from the factory with cruise control.  I just downloaded FORScan, but really haven't had time to play with it, figure it out, figure out what can or can't be done with the free version, et cetera.  But for you, it may be worth your time to download it and try it.  Worst case scenario is that you only use it for turning off your check engine light.

On my 2016 TC Forscan will allow the perimeter alarm to be active or not. But an interior alarm was not available in 2016. Forscan may have menu selection for "with" or "without" interior alarm. But this may be a semi permanent selection. Your only hope is there may be an option that activates the menu selection in the steering wheel display (IPC).

Here is an example from a post on the Forscan forum. This 2018 TC has 5 options for the daytime running lights. My 2016 does not have the last option that appears to active the DRL configuration from the user menu. 

You can see there is an alarm configuration and this TC has"no alarm". Maybe the menu for the alarm in your 2018 will have something that allows the interior alarm configuration from the user menu. The only way to know is to run Forscan on your vehicle. BUT, some menu selections don't work so overall Forscan has a low probability of working for this issue. But it only costs $75 for the adapter to try.

0.png

9 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

. But it only costs $75 for the adapter to try.

0.png

Or less.  You could always search on Amazon.  A lot of OBD II devices cost less, and will work.  I'm using a simple cable with USB on one end, and USB II on the other end.  I bought it 12 years ago, and spent about $12.  I suspect a lot of the lower priced cables won't work.  But you could get lucky.  I found 1 that worked.  Good thing about amazon.com is the easy returns.

On 2/4/2019 at 9:16 PM, mgordon said:

........... Dealers of course have no idea.  I assume you never got anywhere else on this?

Just took our Focus in for recall service and brought up the TC problem with the service advisor.   Got the same run-around. 
Not sure if they can program the 'puter to take care of this or not. 

Just hoping there will be a software upgrade in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Crazy as this may sound, in my 2019 XLT Transit Cargo Van if you want the interior alarm sensors to be disabled when you lock your vehicle, you need to turn the ignition on and off twice with the door open then remove the keys from the ignition. Lock the door manually with the lock button before shutting the door.  This tells the vehicle that you are in it and it temporarily disables all the annoying exterior lights that normally turn on when you open the door and it also disables the alarm and makes it possible to use the radio without the key being in the ignition. 

It all goes back to normal the next time the door is opened so you have to do this each time you exit your vehicle if you don't want the alarm and lights.

I tested it out by putting an electric fan inside the vehicle and locking the door. The movement of the fan set the alarm off. Then I followed the instructions mentioned above and the fan didn't set off the alarm. I have a dog and now I can leave him in the vehicle( on cool days) without him setting off the alarm. Also, I can go camping without lighting up the entire campground by opening the door of my vehicle.

Edited by Rookaponz

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After 3 months, 5 appointments between two different dealerships I was finally able to have Ford down load a fix for my alarm on my 2019 Connect. I now have the choice to turn off the interior motion sensors if I want to just like the owners manual and dealership said I could! What a dance but it was worth it. 

sensor a.jpg

sensor b.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 3:16 PM, eliminatethis said:

After 3 months, 5 appointments between two different dealerships I was finally able to have Ford down load a fix for my alarm on my 2019 Connect. I now have the choice to turn off the interior motion sensors if I want to just like the owners manual and dealership said I could! What a dance but it was worth it. 

sensor a.jpg

sensor b.jpg

How / What did they do?  Any advice for the rest of us who don't have much confidence (or patience) with their dealers?