Ford Transit Connect Forum

Drain plug washer reusable 2016 gen2 ?

Willygee

The idea is to change the washer with every oil change.  That being said, you could get away with using it again.  Eventually, it will start to leak.  With the "skid plate" on the bottom of the van, you won't see the oil on your driveway......you won't even know it's leaking......until the next time you do an oil change.  

I know some guys who swear that you can reuse those washers if you flip it everytime.  

I saw a Honda where the drain plug was stripped and rounded off, there was blue Loctite everywhere around the drain hole,. and the washer was smashed and deformed.  Oil change every 3,000 miles since it was new.....always by the same shop.  A shop!!!   The owner of the shop actually told me that they started using Loctite because it was leaking, the drain plug was all beat up from them using air tools to try to get the plug on tighter to stop the leaking.  Every time they used an air tool to tighten the drain plug, it smashed & deformed the washer even more.  Of course, they had to use more torque to remove the drain plug at every oil change.  This guy actually told me that they were applying 50 ft lbs of torque on the drain plug.  Dude swears that they did everything so that the engine wouldn't leak oil.  I believed him.  Then I asked him why he didn't use a new washer at every oil change.  He couldn't answer that.  I got a new drain plug and washer.  That car doesn't leak oil anymore.  

Buy a new washer with every oil change.  They are $0.50.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/13/2021 at 2:10 AM, Fifty150 said:

Point taken

PSX_20200905_143125.thumb.jpg.bac7378d8792903966a352381019a484.jpgPSX_20200905_143034.thumb.jpg.c920caf30ee23ede1dfde076ee0c46bf.jpg

\

Anything that sticks down lower than the bottom of the drain pan like that is subject to getting whacked by an object on the road or a high railroad track kind of situation.

If that happens, you may or may not realize that all of your oil just got dumped.  Couldn't get passed that.  That DOES look about as protected as you get by that frame rail(?), but on the other cars i've owned  it stuck down further than anything else around on the bottom. 

Went this way:  https://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7201-Fluid-Evacuator-Plus/dp/B0002SR7TC/ref=asc_df_B0002SR7TC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312104220456&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11786479864811216725&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016355&hvtargid=pla-569065623780&psc=1

Your stock drain gasket will NEVER wear out.  ;) 

Every other oil change takes less than 5 minutes of my time. Removing the dipstick and inserting the tube, pumping 10 times to get vacuum.  I come back in 15 minutes and its' sucked all the oil out.  I get my funnel and dump in the new oil.  They I reverse the valve on the pump and use it to send the old oil into the 5 qt jug I just emptied.   :)

Edited by MLB

• 2 years later...
On 5/12/2021 at 11:41 AM, tworock said:

Install a fumoto valve.

Fumoto is not the only seller.  EZ-107(12mm-1.75) EZ Oil Drain Valve with EZ Oil Drain Valve Adapter A-107 works just as well.  My truck, which also has the 12mm-1.75 thread pitch as the Transit Connect, has this combination installed.  Works exactly the same.  A simple ball valve.  It makes oil changes so much easier.  Drain directly into the disposal container.  Zero mess.  No oil gushing out and splashing everywhere when you first pull the drain plug.  No pouring oil from the drain pan back into those little bottles.  If anything is big enough to be 20+ inches off the ground, and can fit between the crossmember and the sway bar...... it gets knocked off and I lose my oil.

612nutP8+eL._AC_SL1327_.jpg510fZq8jP2L._AC_SL1280_.jpg240137968_IMG_20240115_1108395742.thumb.jpg.6fc7694fc009a404f2f14b24ff9666f8.jpg   

Edited by Fifty150

• 2 months later...