Ford Transit Connect Forum

2.5L Spark plug torque specs

Avnut

Some pass along information. My '14 SWB with the 2.5L has around 55,000 miles now and I want to check the condition of the plugs and just break them free. I don't want to wait till a 100,000 miles before doing so. I went to one of the local Ford dealers and asked for the spark plug torque specs.

For a 2.5L the spark plugs should be torqued to 106 inch pounds or 8.83 foot pounds.

• 2 months later...
On 10/7/2018 at 7:00 PM, Avnut said:

For a 2.5L the spark plugs should be torqued to 106 inch pounds or 8.83 foot pounds.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:43 AM, G B L said:

1/16 of a turn after tight will be good.  

Sounds about right.  I've heard 9 ft lbs.  I've heard "just a little past tight".  

Which plugs are you guys using?  

Common wisdom was that with Ford engines, you are suppose to use OEM Ford MotorCraft parts only.  For whatever reason, most people insist that any other brand of parts, and you will have problems.  Coils, wires, plugs.....

Then you get the guys who insist on using only "performance part" brands. 

I just exchanged the plugs, wires, and ignition coil on my truck after owning it for 12 years.  I went with economy.  $0.88 spark plugs from E3.  $16 Autolite wires.  $75 MSD ignition coil.  In theory, the E3 is a performance part.  OEM Ford MotorCraft spark plug wires are 7mm, and the Autolite wires are 8mm.  The OEM ignition coil was about $50 more than the MSD.  I don't believe much in superstition.  Truck fires right up and runs fine.  No issues.  All parts are supposedly "upgrade" parts, even though I got them for less money.  

So now I'm wondering about Transit Connect tune-up parts.  I guess the wires and coils do not need to be replaced unless there is visible, unacceptable wear, or you're experiencing misfires.  Has anyone tried other brands of spark plugs, coils,  in their Transit Connect?  NGK, Denso, MSD, Bosch, Champion?

With coil on plug  there is not much that goes .  Just check for corrosion in the coil socket when you change them, i must be getting old but now I think I did use Motorcraft  with the best Electrode, but I am not 100 percent sure.

From my recollection, MotorCraft plugs are not platinum or iridium.  What I also recall is that Denso is OEM for MotorCraft. 

So far, the E3 work.  I can't say that there's any gain in performance or mileage, which is claimed in advertising.  And E3 spends quite a bit on promotion.  But they work.  I would buy it again for the right price.  I would not spend more for them.