Ford Transit Connect Forum

Pig in a cooler

davidparker

Hauled a 140 pound pig to a BBQ yesterday.  Of course, the food was great.  But I really liked having the A/C running and the pig "kicked back in the shade" versus sitting in the sun in the back of a pickup truck on a 95 degree day.  Just another reason why I like this vehicle!

1008115657_2018-09-2816_00_08.thumb.jpg.fa268958afb6f4603d2e7e9fecc65148.jpg

• 2 months later...

In a big 'ol pig smoker....   They are common in the south.  Cooking a pig (commonly referred to as a pig pickin') is an all night ritual involving copious amounts of beer, occasional shots of moonshine or whisky, and a lot of story telling.  Followed the next day with a really large meal of delicious pulled pork and side dishes like collard greens, mac and cheese, and cole slaw.  Banana pudding and pecan pie for dessert.  Then a really long nap.  Usually takes me a day to recover!

20180929_073516.jpg

Right down the block from me, is Lazzari Fuel.  We use Mesquite, Apple Wood, Cherry Wood......for different types of meat.  Here where I live, with so many different cultures, there are restaurants and caterers that offer whole roast pig....head, feet......tail to snout.  Nothing is wasted.  And every part taste so good.

@GBL If I did not need the capacity of an FEC 100, the Rec Tec would be on the top of my list!  (Probably  would already have one!)  They are an outstanding smoker.  I have had a ceramic smoker (A Primo, not a Green Egg) and a side draft smoker (wood).  I am current using a UDS (ugly drum smoker).  But I have cooked on a Traeger, a Rec Tec and an FEC 100 (as part of a BBQ competition team).  And I am convinced that pellet smokers are the best! :thumbsup:

@fifty Cooking a whole pig is an event, not something you do often.  I agree that stick burning (real wood) is the best flavor, but not something I want to do weekly.  Been there, with my side draft smoker.  

Those pellets are excellent for control of temperature. Since they are uniform in production, they are superior to uneven pieces of wood.  I know why people like them.  

Old guys like me tend to stay with old technology. Like an abacus vs a calculator.

• 1 year later...