Ford Transit Connect Forum

Top 5 Things About Your Transit Connect

OLDSCHOOLFOOL

When I went to Yellowstone on my motorcycle I found ethanol free gas easy to find in Nebraska and westward.  It was great, with a small tank I had to be very mindful of fuel mileage and really like the additional mileage from E0!  In the TC and other cars I put whatever is in available in it but will buy E0 if available.  Not going to use E15 if at all possible.  Found this gas station in Kansas (which has the fewest gas stations of anywhere Iv'e ever been).  I run E10 in my scooters and even though they sit for sometimes a couple of months Ive never had a problem with them.  Seems like the blend and additives are pretty good from my experience.  Not sure about other brands or cheaper gas.  Scooters and motorcycle use so little gas I never look at the price, I'll even use premium in the scooters from time to time although it not necessary but at 80 or 100 MPG the cost is very small.

Second photo is Wyoming - since I only got 2.12 gallons wonder how much ethanol was in the hose before the good stuff started flowing into my tank.

IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6383.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get a pic of it, but I saw a gas station in Oklahoma (I think? Or maybe it was Missouri) that already has an E15 option, lol. 

Here's a pic of my MPG from the trip up north & back. Note that the mileage is corrected because I'm running 215/65R16 tires, GPS shows that the dash is off by 5.9%; total trip just under 2135 miles.

MPG_Thanksgiving2018.JPG.ac960afb964103e41aa61aaaf8cbf48d.JPG

• 4 months later...

1. I love how it drives and handles.

2. The seats and position. On ling drives, I can get out without lots of pain.

3. Fuel economy. 30+mpg at 65mph 24mpg in mixed driving

4. I love the storage shelf above my head.

5. The low load floor. 

Bonus. Twice, I rented an 8 foot trailer from Uhaul. My van towed it very well.

Did I ever give the other four?  Probably not.  So here's all five.

1.  Fuel economy.  Same as bikinchris

2.  The roof is high enough and doors are tall enough that I can get the DRZ in and out without taking all kinds of things apart.

3.  It's a whole lot more fun to drive than the full sized van it replaced.  It's like a puppy.

4.  It has cruise control.  I haven't had that before.  That and good seats mean my hamstrings last a whole lot longer before they need to be stretched back out.

5.  It fits in urban parking spaces.

7 hours ago, WillMartin said:

5.  It fits in urban parking spaces.

I've driven Chevy Express & Ford Econoline vans.  Transit Connect's parking is superior.  But it's smaller, and holds less stuff.  I think of it like comparing an F-150, to a Ranger.  But not the new Ranger, which is larger than the old Ranger.

It's very rare for me to need a full sized Chevy Express capacity any more.  The TC is plenty big enough.  If it wasn't, I never would have made the change.  The funny thing is that the TC seems taller inside.

Edited by WillMartin

• 2 months later...

1. MPG - I can afford to drive TC Gen 1 as a daily driver and still do my camping or hauling furniture, lumber etc.

2. Very easy to maneuver and park. Drives and handles more like a car than a truck.

3. Doors on both sides of van and rear doors that will fold all the way up against the side of the van. I can load anything with ease with the low load floor and wide open access.

4. Drivers seats are study, comfortable and infinitely adjustable like a professional vehicle. I can drive several hundreds of miles without needing to stop for cramped legs, arms, back.

5. This van has a forum where conversion, maintenance, ?racing?, mods, tech and mechanical issues are active discussion topics with some smart/innovative solutions.

I've had more fun with this little van than any other vehicle I have owned and it still saves me $ every day I get in it and turn the key.

I put almost 500 miles on my van yesterday.  It got 27+ mpg, and went the speed limit.  I suppose it's possible to get a performance award while driving a TC, but it would be more likely in a school zone than on a highway.  I don't think I'll be taking it through mountain passes fully loaded and expect to go very fast.  It's amazing how completely it disappears.  People see it, because it is white.  They don't hit it like they hit the dark green Chevy it replaced.  But, they just flat don't remember it.  I can put it anywhere and nobody notices it.

If you commit a crime, the police will only have a description of a white minivan.  Do you know how many white Transit Connects are out there waiting to be pulled over by the cops?  I recall a bank robbery, in downtown San Francisco.  They didn't actually rob the bank.  They robbed the armored courier making a cash delivery to the bank.  The bandits were dressed as bicycle messengers, and made their getaway on bicycles.  They blended right into the the downtown traffic with bicycle messengers darting in & out of traffic.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can think of at least three white TCs and one blue one that park within a five block radius.  One is mine.  They are all Gen 1.  There are even more that just pass through. There is a school in that radius, and the school district must own 50 of them, both Gen 1 and Gen 2.  Some say they belong to the school district on the side, some don't.  Maybe the blank ones are private contractors.  There's not much way to know.  Add the lack of windows for anybody to see what's inside, and it really is a stealth vehicle.  Not quite as clever as being a bicycle messenger in San Francisco, but close enough.