Ford Transit Connect Forum

Top 5 Things About Your Transit Connect

OLDSCHOOLFOOL

I am curious about what people like most about their TCs so I thought I would start this thread as a place for people to list the things they like most about their vans. Figured a list from 5 to 1, with 1 being the one thing you like most about your van. Just a brief description of why could be helpful too. It could be factory feature but it could also be something do did to enhance it like a paint job or something or most anything really. Just whatever it is that you LIKE about it. It could also be a TC that you used to own but don't anymore, but make it about your van not one you wished you owned. Please state the year and the type and if possible post a pic of the van so we can all see what it is. Not all posters may know what a 2011 SWB cargo TC may look like. Not necessarily asking to post a pic of the particular feature just a look at the van itself. You can if you like cause I like pics. It could be a pic you have posted in some other thread. Mine is.

My top five list:

5. Power.

For a 2.5l 4 cylinder it has a lot of pep. Sometimes I even find myself  spinning tires a little when taking off.

4. Cargo bay.

Floor is relatively low to the ground and with the sliding doors on both sides and the swinging doors on the back, I can load most things into the van unassisted. And do it easy.

3. Handling.

With the stock factory tires on it handled pretty good for a van, not the typical top-heavy feeling. With wider tires that I put on it the van now seems to drive more like a sport sedan than a truck.

2. Size.

I can put this van ANYWHERE. Tight spots no problem. But big enough to haul things when I need to.

1. Looks.

The TC just doesn't look like every other vehicle on the road. I like the general uniqueness of the van.

2016 XLT LWB Cargo

image.png.692a0dd536c09094db308db0009af6c8.png

I though the XLT had white bumpers.

I have a '17 LWB XL I bought new early May 2018, 1500 miles so far.

Here's my list:

1. Doesn't look like every other vehicle out there.

2. Cost - I got a great deal, sticker $26090 ($27.5k w/dealer add-on BS) I paid $19800.

3. Holds a TON of stuff, I'm a handyman so I've got mine loaded with with a wide variety of tools.

4. Easily fits in my smallish 2 car garage along with my wife's car.

5. Drives like a car.

Edited by donuts

2 hours ago, Dandytc said:

White bumpers on my 15 LWB XLT wagon... Does that count, or are you strictly looking for white bumpers on cargo vans?

Not looking for white bumpers or bumpers of any kind really. That was just a random sort of comment.

Just would like to know top 5 things you like about YOUR van. Not what someone else may like about it, just you. And it is not a contest to see who has the best van either. Not a survey either, I'm not going to tally anything up. I'm just a curious sort of fellow.

Started out as a 2011 TLC Cargo.  Came with a trade package with shelves and cargo area screen. I stripped all that out, then had the top popped up and added the windows. Plan is to add either a fan or AC on the roof, and I'll be building some custom cabinets and convertible couch/bed to turn it into an overnite camper. 

Also gotta figure out how to pull the cargo floor - I understand there's a recess between the side doors where the stock seats mount up, and I wouldn't mind the extra headroom. Looks to be a simple bolt in, but of course, the first bolt I tried was just spinning in the recess ...

Top five? Mostly stuff I changed ...

- rear windows actually give me a lot more vision than you might think.

- WeatherTech front window deflectors

- Upgraded sound system w/GPS and media playback, four speakers and boomer

Add a nice ride and plenty of pep to cover the bases. Oh. And it came with a one year drive train warranty.

It’s new, quiet, big on inside, small outside

easy to get in and out of - 90 yo mother-in-law with arthritis can get in and out easily

hauls my scooter to the track

can haul lots of stuff and still get people inside

can put mattress in back and go camping

can haul a small trailer

easy to drive (my wife complains about it being so big but she drives a Smart car)

navigation and hands free phone

mirrors fold back when I lock it - I look cool ? seriously not why I got it but does help when parking in my garage with too much stuff 

12 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

can put mattress in back and go camping

Here's one that is likely to move up on my list in a year or two. Perhaps not so much traditional camping per se, but road tripping I guess.

What year and style is your van? Sure would like to see what it looks like.

It a 2016 Titanium wagon.  6 passenger leather seats, would have gotten an XLT but got this one because of the deal I got.  I just did a 4,100 mile road trip to Yellowstone on my motorcycle and had a blast.  Was going to camp but wound up staying in KOA cabins except for three nights in Dubois Wyoming where I slept in my tent.  KOA cabins had AC and after riding all day in the heat and getting to the destination totally soaked from sweating, AC is very nice.  This trip has given me a renewed interest in taking the TC on a road trip.  Sleeping on a mattress in the back or a tent.  Photo of van with scooter in it.  Rear seats are out and scooter is on a 3x3 piece of MDF with the front wheel in the space between the middle seats.  For camping will have similar configuration but will take a foam mattress with something to level the rear with the top of the folded seats.  I routinely cary my twin grandchildren so don't want to remove middle seats.  Foam mattress will be the 3 section 6" one from Amazon.  

IMG_6384.JPG

IMG_5902.jpg

Ok, so that was you dealing with the "chip tar" and such? I like to call it "peanut butter paving". The wife and I are planning on a trip in the future to Yellowstone but don't really have any real details worked out quite yet. We sort of plan to cut across TN, maybe thru NM and hook right up thru UT in a general sort of path seeing what we see. The KOA cabin thing sounds like kind of a good thing to mix in. Hadn't really thought of those.

I was thinking Futon mattress instead of foam. Foam tends to be too soft for me and kills my old back. Air mattress tends to be the same way.

I probably should have put this in a new thread.

In the Tetons ran into a couple of Harley Davidson riders who ran into fresh tar!  One of them had a can of gas and was cleaning it off his front wheel with a rag - tossing the big pieces it it to the side.  It pretty much wrapped his front.  On the way out went thru Memphis to Jonesboro Arkansas and then to Springfield MO.  Spent the night there, KOA was nice.  Day 2 took 13 and 7 to I49 to Kansas City then I29 to just south of Omaha and picked up 2 over to I80 over the Grand Island.  KOA there was nice.  Day 3 took I80 the Cheyenne.  Day 4 I 80 to Rawlings, 287 Lander and then at a gas station in the middle of nowhere picked up 26 to Dubois.  In Dubois stayed at the Longhorn RV Park and camped in a tent.  It was very nice.  Day 5 and 6 were spent going to the Tetons and around Dubois.  Day 7 rode 26 to Morain Junction and picked up191 to Yellowstone where I picked up 14 and rode to Cody.  Day 8 rode 14 to 16 to I90 to16 to Custer.  A local at the Firefighter airplane museum told me of a bypass around Worley which was very pretty and saved a bit of time.  Woke up in cuter to a rainy forecast so changed my route.  Took 385 to 2 to Grand Island.  Got lost there and had to turn GPS on.  Lots or bad wind and rain that day!!!  From Grand Island Took I80 to 81 to I135 to 54 then 400 over to Springfield.  Not sure about the bit from the state line to Springfield, was using Waze at that point.  Hope to do again next year but stay longer out west.  Wyoming, Kansas and Nebraska have excellent secondary roads and they were much more fun than the interstates.  My bike only has a 4 gallon tank and the range was anywhere from 160 to 220 miles depending on speed and gas (no ethanol gives better mileage).  Only place I came close to running out was Kansas - they don't have gas stations around. 

Photos:  First is KOA in Springfield MO, 2nd is tent in Dubois WY, 3rd is a store in western Nebraska and last is the inside of one of the KOA cabins.  I have a SPOT device which uses GPS and satellite communications and can send I'm OK messages back with a location.  It can also send an SOS signal which they relay to emergency responders as well as a Help signal in case of a breakdown or flat tire.  They relay to responders.  Cost is about $150 per year for service but it is vey nice hen traveling alone on a motorcycle.  

Image-1-14.jpg

IMG_0105.jpeg

IMG_9888.jpeg

IMG_8228.jpeg

I just returned from a 7300+ mile trip from far northern Maine to Asheville NC, then Salt Lake City, then home to Maine. Took most of August. That helped me make the top 5 list for my '14 XLT LWB passenger model, bought used in February 2018:

#1 is comfort. Even the 800-mile push on the last day back wasn't physically demanding.

#2 is economy. Interstate speed limits as high as 75 and 80, elevations of 7000 feet, various cargoes - all of it returned 29 mpg.

#3 is capability. Even long mountain climbs at high speed and high elevation on I-80 were no problem. The cruise control could call up 5000 RPM in 4th if it needed to.

#4 is visibility. All that front, rear and side glass gives a really good view out.

#5 is overall thoughtfulness of design. The whole package seems really well thought out. Kudos to Ford Europe!

Edited by Dave Spicer

• 1 month later...

Although I've only had my 2016 LWB XLT for a 1 1/2 months, fully agree with all the comments. Versatility was main reason I looked at TC's when replcing old car. Manouverability was next on list. Always preferred small , versatile cars.

On 9/2/2018 at 3:33 PM, Dave Spicer said:

#2 is economy. Interstate speed limits as high as 75 and 80, elevations of 7000 feet, various cargoes - all of it returned 29 mpg.

Your Mileage May Vary

You guys would cry if you knew what kind of mileage I get.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 8:00 PM, Fifty150 said:

Your Mileage May Vary

You guys would cry if you knew what kind of mileage I get.  

Lower than my 23-24MPG average? ? I even drive like an old man and rarely go over speed limit (which is generally 70-75 on regular roads here in Texas). I used to get 26-28 in Illinois with their lower speed limits and about 45% highway commute. My 1K mile trips (2K round-trip) back to IL to visit family & friends gives me maybe 25-25.5MPG or so and these numbers are indeed adjusted/corrected for tire size.

My mileage with every fill-up is 16 - 17 MPG.  I use air conditioning, but most people do.  I have very bad stop and go driving.  Up to an hour of traffic to go 6 miles across town.  You have no idea what it is like to sit at a green light, because of gridlock.  

On that note, the same drive conditions in the F-150 gets about 10 - 12 MPG.  

Now you have to also factor in California fuel being E-10, and that we drive with California reformulated fuel.  Not only do we have 10% ethanol, there are also other additives to water down the energy content.  

Watch out.  E-15 fuel is right around the corner.  

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a11687/four-things-to-know-about-e15-15096134/

Four Things to Know About E15

E15 fuel has been certified for sale in the United States and is slowly beginning to show up at filling stations. Here's a quick rundown of what you need to know about this new fuel option.

BeMGojeh2Ka6mUlSdAkvrxpFgim7dGXoxBJqSwP2

Trump Will Loosen Ethanol Rules, Aiding Anxious Farmers Ahead of Midterm Elections

The new rules will allow ethanol-blend gasoline to be sold during the summer months, ending a ban designed to limit smog, and angering the oil industry and ...

7 days ago

bookmark_border

more_vert
_-5SKUM0cI9YdGjVT3tI1VJxi-R0PmU1m-b3L17Y  

Put Ethanol In People, Not Gasoline

At a campaign rally in Iowa, President Trump indicated that he intends to support requiring a blend of 15% ethanol in the U.S. gasoline supply. The location was ...

5 days ago

bookmark_border

more_vert
A customer fuels a vehicle at a Marathon Petroleum Corp. gas station in Peoria, Illinois, U.S., on Tuesday, July 24, 2018. Marathon Petroleum Corp. is scheduled to release earnings figures on July 26. Photographer: Daniel Acker/Bloomberg  

How Trump's Deregulation Push Could Change How You Fill Up Your Tank

Ethanol, the intoxicating alcohol found in beer, wine and liquor, has been powering automobiles in the U.S. since the era of the Model T more than a century ago ...

7 days ago

bookmark_border

more_vert

That's EXACTLY how my '17  looks - the computer is always showing ~270 miles per tank.

I'm driving 95% short trips under 5 miles and here and there a trip around 10 miles.

My van is always has a pretty good load of tools.

My tank is also 15.8 gal (59.8L). Gauge showed 1/4 left when I stopped to fill up.   30.2L and the pump stopped & wouldn't let me "top-up" any more.  I believe the gauge is deliberately adjusted like this as a 'safety' measure.  My last car [2005 Vibe] did the same.

Back to what I like about the T-C:  I plan on installing a small plastic storage cabinet behind 2nd row seat pass side together with my cat's [travel] litter box (both removeable). All seats behind driver folded down (sleep space).  Good-to-go as daily-driver and for quick overnights.

I do not want to remove seats nor do major mods as I need full seating capacity at times.

My 2016 LWB wagon is far more versatile than my old Vibe [which had served me well], but only about a foot longer & just as easy to manouvere.