Ford Transit Connect Forum

cruise control fuse location?

Hi,

I just bought a 2010 XLT, and noticed that the cruise control doesn't work. It won't even turn on (no lights on the steering wheel). I read on another forum that it could be a fuse problem, and to check fuse 142 (15amp) under the dash and fuse 26 (10amp) under the hood by the battery. However, the owners manual (glove box edition) gives a different description for those fuses (and the fuses looked fine). And the fuse list in the owners manual doesn't list cruise control at all. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong with the cruise control?

Matt

I just joined the "Transit Connect Family" this year.  Don't know nothing 'bout the 2010.

BUT ... I've had a few vehicles with cruise controls that stopped working.

1)  Fuses are NEVER a problem.  Fuses show that you HAVE a problem.  If they are blown/burnt out, then you had a shorted circuit.  Replacing the fuse might work, until the short reveals itself again and pops the new fuse.  (If it's an intermittent short)

2)  In every case of failed cruise controls (my experience) was the result of switches going bad.  I use my cruise control a LOT.  Even on 35 mph local roads, I'm usually on cruise control. 

3)  I've had the control switches in the steering column fail. 

4)  I've also had the brake switch fail.  My Freestar did that.  There are two switches ... one for the brake light, and one for the cruise control.  However, they are redundant and the brake light switch kept both systems working.  The C.C. switch was stuck, indicating the brake was engaged all the time.  That caused the cruise control system to stay off.  Easy fix ... disconnect the plug for that switch and put a jumper wire in it.  Ran that van like that for a couple of years with no further problems.

Good luck with yours.

Hi Mike,

I'm trying to locate the fuse to see if it is blown, because as far as I can tell, I'm not even getting power to the controls. None of the cruise control buttons light up at night when the headlights are on, and there is no dash light saying it is on. What year is your TC? Do your C.C. buttons on your steering wheel light up when you turn the headlights on?

Matt

2017 ... and yes, mine light up.  But that's not an indicator of the switch working.  The light is just a "dash lamp", providing the illumination ... it's not an indicator of powerflow through the switch itself.

My Freestar was a 2007, and although the light on the controls worked, I did not get any indication the system was working until I selected a speed.  THEN I'd get a "cruise" light on the dash.  Sitting in the drive way, I'd have no idea whether the system was working or not.

On my T.C., I get a light on the dash saying the cruise system is on, then another saying I've set the speed.

From online ... Fuse location "E" on the engine box.

2006-ford-transit-fuse-box-diagram-inspi

And this one says it's number 35.

2010-ford-transit-connect-fuse-box-diagr

So, I see your problem.  Try to find an owner's manual for your van ... that will have the correct fuse locations.

Again, good luck.

May or may not be relevant. There were 2 owners manuals for my F-150.  Both have different fuse box diagrams.  Maybe there's another manual with different information. I had to use the VIN to get the right version of the manual from Ford.  The dealer gave me the wrong owners manual.

Mike,

That is a completely different fuse layout (US Gen 2) than mine (US Gen 1). But good news: I jiggled around all the fuses and at least one of them must have had a bad connection, because after that the cruise control started working.

Now it is time to dive into the door-ajar sensors and the noisy door-lock actuator. 

Fifty150, when I went to the Ford dealership and asked about a shop and wiring manual, they told me they did not exist (and never had). I just ordered one of each off of eBay. I'll have to take it to them to show them that the manuals do exist.  ?

As soon as I get my manuals I'll dig into the door latch problems and maybe resurrect a thread or two. 

Matt

45 minutes ago, Matt416 said:

when I went to the Ford dealership and asked about a shop and wiring manual, they told me they did not exist (and never had).

?

As far as the dealership is concerned, the manuals don't exist because they do not have any to sell to you.  

I went back to my dealer's service department, and only the techs working in the back knew that there was more than one fuse block diagram for trucks in the same model year.  Only the tech knew to use the VIN to find the correct information.  Not the salesman.  Not the service writers.  It turns out that for the same year, make, and model truck, there were a lot of differences.....and the only way to find the right part was the VIN.