Ford Transit Connect Forum

Overhead center console - what's it for?

gjoverto

If it's like the one in my 2017 ... it doesn't do ANYTHING.  I assume the two round holes are for tweeters in Hi-Def sound systems ... which we don't have.

All the rest of the relief/cut outs are for non-existent buttons higher paying customers have.  

I've been looking for ways to fill the space without buying actual Ford parts.

It's been a while, But I believe I pried it down near the front, and it hooks in the back.  So, pull down and pull forward and it comes right out.  Be careful, though, because my memory sucks.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, DonShockley said:

I put a 12v power port and a USB power port in mine which is why I had it apart to take the photos. And I keep emergency supplies under the cover for the non-existent sunglass holder.

Do you by chance have any photos of the entire thing removed? Of course I would like to do what no one else would do and that is to remove it completely. It serves no particular function to me except as storage for things I never want to find again. I'd like to get some kind of visual before taking it out and then have to put it right back because something unexpected is under there. I would have to remount the dome light and I'd lose the assist bars, grab bars if you will, but I don't see either of those as any big deal.

To me the thing is just a big ugly piece of plastic that I would like to get rid of.

By George I think I found it!. I will be going back to check out more of your photos to be sure.

Edited by OLDSCHOOLFOOL

40 minutes ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

By George I think I found it!. I will be going back to check out more of your photos to be sure.

If I didn't know any better (and I don't) I'd say this opening is just about a perfect match for the dome light. One of the things I have in mind is to move the existing cargo light fixture to the center just behind the seats and rewire in parallel with the dome light. What this will do is give me the option to turn it and the dome light completely off when I want and not have it come on every time you turn the engine off or open a door. Turn it back on when I want it to come on automatically.

Overhead USB power 1

Here's another photo of the side showing the holes in the headliner that will be left from the shelf mounting points.

And I don't know for sure, but it may be possible to remove the light fixture from the shelf and install it in the cutout in the headliner. They look to be about the same size and shape.

20150820_175218.jpg

20150820_191819 zoomed.jpg

Edited by DonShockley

43 minutes ago, DonShockley said:

Here's another photo of the side showing the holes in the headliner that will be left from the shelf mounting points.

And I don't know for sure, but it may be possible to remove the light fixture from the shelf and install it in the cutout in the headliner. They look to be about the same size and shape.

Thanks a million Don! This is PRECISELY the info I was looking for. ?

A custom bezel for the light fixture would solve that issue, but it really does look like it was made to fit in there. Concealing the other mounting holes doesn't look like it would be too terribly bad either.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Fifty150. From the photo is does look pretty shallow. Anybody out there who has tried it, or currently has the shelf unit removed? My TC is a 2018 but my impression so far is that at least the 2017 is very similar.

Edited by TC_Andy
Spelling

2017 & 2018 should be exactly the same.   

I like modifications just as much as the next guy.  You want to make it different.  Make it better.  I just don't see how that could possibly make your drive any better.  

One of the things that I do like to do with the interior lamps is change the color to red.  Preserves night vision.  

That does allow you to access the wiring harness, in case you feel the need to spice into it to add more interior lighting.  LED strip lights are inexpensive, easy to work with, and come in different colors.  You literally cut them to the length that you want, attach your positive & negative wires, and stick them where ever you want.  

Related image