Ford Transit Connect Forum

OEM Seat Compatibility

mountainman

I'm on the hunt for an OEM 2nd row fold down bench for my 2014 TC XLT. I came across this ebay post for a bench that is supposedly compatible with 2016-18 models. But looking at the Ford parts website, it seems like any 2013+ bench should be compatible with my rig, although I've seen talk around here of seats being specific to certain model years. Can anyone provide some insight? The manufacture part number listed on the ebay post is F-TB3B, which I haven't been able to find anywhere... Thanks in advance for your help!

My 2014 SWB cane with the removable 60/40 split bench.  The seat backs fold flat to the bottoms and then the entire seat flips up 90 degrees and stows vertically, resting on the backs of the front buckets  -  The headrests don't need to be removed as they end up stowed in the footwell area when flipped up vertically.  Flip a pair of little levers and you can lift wither the 60 or the 40 portion (or both) out of the van and stow them at home when you need the extra room.  The seat belts are built into the seats (both halves of the center belt) so they come out with the seats.  Certainly the neatest seating design I've ever seen

But . . . .  I am 90% sure these would only fit a SWB van which was designed for them, as the mounting system is a part of the van floor, so I doubt you could install them in a LWB model.  I mention this only to warn you that if you were to buy a set of these used, I think you would have a very difficult time mounting them in your van

Don

Thanks for the insight, Don. I didn't realize Ford uses different back seats depending on the wheelbase. I think these seats actually fold flat and then slide into the footwell, rather than flipping up vertically. Here's a video of what appears to be the exact same seats in action in a 2014 TC Wagon:

On 8/8/2018 at 7:49 PM, Fifty150 said:

The 60/40 split 3 seater pulls out of the floor, anchors, then the seat backs flip up to vertical.  The anchor positions will be different on a model with 2 seats in the middle row.

Is the picture of a 60/40 in the "vertical" configuration? I removed the false floor from my van last night and found that the existing carpet is cut for a 60/40 seat, not 2 separate seats.

My question now is does it matter what year the seat was manufactured? It seems like as long as it's from a second generation LWB model then it should be compatible.

In my photo, the seats are in the flipped down for cargo position.

If you already have the cutouts in the right position, you are already ahead of the game.  No need to mark and cut yourself.  Are the anchor points also intact?  

From what I have seen, not being a body shop worker, 1st generation and 2nd generation are different.  I believe that all the 2nd generation, 2013 - present, would have the same parts. 

For your 2014 model, it was imported as a wagon with seats.  The seats were then removed so that the vehicle can be sold as a van.  This will explain why your floor kit already has the cutouts for the seats to anchor to.  

Find any 2nd row bench seat, and they should fit, as long as you also source all of the mounting hardware.  

Now what are you planning to do about seatbelts?  

On 8/11/2018 at 12:46 AM, Fifty150 said:

Are the anchor points also intact?

Yes. All the anchor points appear to be present and tapped.

Find any 2nd row bench seat, and they should fit, as long as you also source all of the mounting hardware.

Great! I've been able to find a handful of 2nd row benches, but the ones that are geographically closest are not from 2014. Regarding the mounting hardware, a lot of the seats I've found live in vehicles sitting in a scrapyard, so I should be able to pull all the necessary hardware when I get the seat.

Now what are you planning to do about seatbelts?

We'll see if the seat belts are in tact in the vehicle I pull the bench from. If not, or if their condition is at all questionable, I'm willing to order them straight from Ford. It'll be a bit spendy, but it won't break the bank. I'm certainly willing to take the gouge to ensure it's safe!

Bring an angle grinder with a cut off wheel.  Chop out everything that you want.  Worry about carefully backing out fasteners when you get home.  Really.  You will want to take the rear tim panels to work with those new seat belts.  Take the carpet kit.  And if your car does not have one, take the rear auxiliary junction box.  Maybe take the passenger van headliner too.  And while your're at it, you may as well take the 3rd row seats.  Just in case you want to add them at a future point in time.  If you have a junk yard find, take everything that is still in good condition.  Even the hubcaps. 

Send me a good condition set of those OEM wheels and hubcaps.  I'll trade you for coil springs from a 5th generation Ford Mustang, and a boba tea drink.

• 1 month later...

Here are my final notes:

I went to parts.ford.com and punched in my VIN. I found that a lot of seat related parts are compatible within the model generation, BUT the seats themselves are compatible only with certain years within a model generation and only with the corresponding wheelbase. For example, only seats from second generation long wheelbase models manufactured in 2013 and 2014 are compatible with my long wheelbase 2014 TC. Also, different cars have different seat configurations - 60/40, 80/20, two singles - so be sure to look at you vehicles mounting points to ensure you're getting the right configuration. Mine is 60/40.

Hopefully this helps someone down the line.

On 9/25/2018 at 4:41 PM, davidparker said:

mountainman, I would be interested in a picture of your TC after the install.  Let us know how it goes!

I already installed the seats and belts. Was just too lazy to upload the pictures... Here ya go! I guess it's worth noting that there are holes for mounting other seats but only the ones seats were actually installed in were tapped, at least in my vehicle. I believe the bolts required for both the seats and belts were flange M10-1.25 length 20.

IMG_20180809_211827 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20180925_115352 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20180925_115442 - Copy.jpg

Who is going to sit back there?  No insulation.  No climate control.  No sound system.  No power outlet to charge your mobile device.  No windows.

Just kidding.  Looks great.  You've done it!  you have done what others have wanted to do.  Now, thanks to you, everyone can learn something.

More interesting would be how hard it was to pull everything out of the junkyard, what tools you needed to bring, and which parts & part numbers did you have to order.

10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

More interesting would be how hard it was to pull everything out of the junkyard, what tools you needed to bring, and which parts & part numbers did you have to order.

The scrapyard I purchased the parts from was far enough away that it was cheaper to pay them to pull the parts and ship them to me than for me to drive out and pull the parts myself. I don't know the actual part numbers; I just called the scrapyard and told them what I wanted: both the 60 and 40 parts of the seat (some scrapyards will sell them separate), including the metal anchors that go behind them on the floor; the right and left seat belts that go with the seats (the center belt is built into the 60 part of the seat); and the plastic steps that go between the seats and the doors, which are shaped differently than the ones that go with the false floor.

Based on how easy it was to install everything (just bolted right in), I suspect it was pretty easy to pull the parts. I'm guessing the crux of removing them was pulling the paneling off the walls to get at the seat belts or ripping up the floor to get at the anchors behind the seats. After that, it's just a matter of having the right size socket wrench. Speaking of which, the bolts that came with the seat belt pillar loops were T40 torx - same as the bolts in the false floor I had to remove to install the seat (see Mike Chell's post for details).

9 hours ago, mountainman said:

the bolts that came with the seat belt pillar loops were T40 torx - same as the bolts in the false floor

That is the important information that people need.  Now that someone knows a T40 is required, he can bring just that size......as opposed to lugging a 140 piece tool set, and still not having the T40 which did not come with the set.

@mountainman - nice job adding that row of seats to your cargo van. Thanks for sharing your mod.

I would love to have the option of a 'jump seat' for my cargo van in case I need to carry a 3rd passenger.

I would only need it for short trips a few times a year and I end up just working around not having that capability but it's a cool add-on.

What you want can be accomplished.  You are only limited by your imagination.  Products are on the market for what you want.  There is a company making seats for anyone who wants to turn their pickup truck into a Subaru Brat.  You can strip a flight attendant jump seat from an airplane graveyard.  Or steal a jump seat from a UPS truck.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7SPmtKAv-VLcbL_CQi4yERWIVVDy2QF1uEwNmNAI6Ol_kYiSjPJ-AY466_JUMPER_G_20101221200748.jpg

1 hour ago, windguy said:

I would love to have the option of a 'jump seat' for my cargo van in case I need to carry a 3rd passenger.

BI221253.jpg1ebdcf64a8d82e34ffd71b2ac488abd9?AccessKeyId=F430985F651E8B658B4E&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

On 10/5/2018 at 6:44 PM, windguy said:

I would only need it for short trips a few times a year and I end up just working around not having that capability but it's a cool add-on.

I don't think there are jump seats specifically made for the Transit Connect, but, as @Fifty150 said, I think there are a lot of options. For example, it looks like it's pretty common for people to install jump seats in vans to make them wheelchair friendly, so it should be pretty easy to find a seat. Installing it will probably be the crux. I suspect you'll need to fabricate an adapter.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:04 AM, mountainman said:

@Fifty150 I suspect you'll need to fabricate an adapter.

Nah.....just don't be afraid to drill holes, cut away pieces, weld, and don't look back.  You will alter your van, and it will never be factory condition again.  I know that some guys want to find ways to keep their vehicles as close to stock as possible.  In which case, you will enjoy your vehicle as it came from the factory.  

Presently, I'm trying to decide which part of the dash to cut into for more USB outlets.  I want install a 4 port USB outlet with a decora wallplate.    It just messes with people's minds when they see an interior building outlet in a car. 

71JavGdn3dL._SL1280_.jpg