Ford Transit Connect Forum

Exhaust manifold removal to fit block heater?

I recently relocated from western NC to far northern Maine, and asked the local dealer about having a block heater put on my 2014 TC 2.5L. They told me the exhaust manifold would have to be removed and the job would be from 3 to 5 hours labor. Has anyone else run into this?

Sorry can't answer as to the block heater installation, but just wanted to note (you may know already) that there are aftermarket coolant heaters (e.g. Zerostart) that typically splice into a cooling system hose and circulate coolant via thermosyphon (convection) effect.  I don't know if the TC's "plumbing" is suitable, probably someone here does... it depends on whether the thermostat has a bypass that's accessible.   It would certainly be something to investigate before going the block heater route, if installation is that involved.

Edited by Eddy Kilowatt

Sure you need a heater? Been here in Michigan for decades and never found a need for one on any of my vehicles, both cast iron and aluminum blocks. Just make sure you have fresh antifreeze, flush the system every now and then, and have the proper 50/50 mix. Keep the battery charged up as it may crank a little slow when it gets down to zero ...

PS ... does this look like a block heater? Not sure as it was there when I purchased the van. There's also an inverter installed and I was thinking it might have something to do with that.

battery-isolator.jpg

Edited by sKiZo

Since  I posted the parts picture I have not really looked to see how hard it would be to install the heater. Next time I have the Tc up on the lift I will take a look.  I am in northern Vt .  With synthetic oil and a good battery I have had no issues  At minus 25 degrees.

The plug in your picture is the block heater.

Edited by G B L

We always used an electric blanket.  Inexpensive, no worries about water, since you cover the engine and then close the hood.  Only used one if the temperatures were going to be below 0 degrees F.   Two minutes to tuck it in around the engine ... 30 seconds to remove it and fold it up. 

No engine modifications necessary.

On the farm (Michigan), we put a heat lamp under the tractor up against the oil pan. That and a little ether always got them started.

Other than the ease of starting, a block heater is nice as you don't have to wait for the car to warm up before the heat is available. You're electric bill will increase a little. The block heaters I've seen are around 1,000 watts or so.

The heater's that go in the water jacket are usually 400 watts , because they heat the engine water directly.  I put mine on a timer that comes on at 4:30 Am and runs for about  4 hours so the cost is minimized.

• 2 months later...

Living in Montreal,Canada I've had block heaters on all my cars and was very glad I did.

The suggestion for an inline-heater is very good.  These typically only need to be spliced into a coolant hose & circulate the coolant by thermal action - so entire engine is warmed, not just the upper (typically) block. They generally use same or less current than block-heaters, too.

Warmed-up engines are easier to start, get windows defrosted faster & heat interior faster.  3-4 hrs is all thats needed for block heaters.

Lucky that my 2016 TC LWB wagon came with factory block heater.  Now if I could just lift it an inch or so (inexpensivly) would be great.

PS: Having a "trickle-charger" available for really cold weather is good - especially if, as me, you mainly do short trips.

• 2 weeks later...