Ford Transit Connect Forum

Lost Membership Card.

BSUPC

On 8/9/2018 at 1:17 AM, BSUPC said:

I still have another 2012 TC. Well actually it is my Mommies. :) lol    But I do all the maint. work and so forth on it with Dad. Mom got hers in June of 2012 and I got mine in August.  I will be sticking around and I am fine. 

Glad to hear you'll be around at least until your mom tries to thin out the herd.

I've had a few close encounters with the common mule deer in my area darting across a canyon road at night right in front of me. Scares the bejesus out of you as they come from nowhere and you're at the mercy of which path they choose. I try to drive slower at night knowing they are waiting to play frogger with my van.

One of the worst collisions I've seen was a guy on a motorcycle hitting a deer on the freeway.

Luckily for me, wildlife in The City is usually limited to small animals.  But lately, coyote, mountain lion, wolf, fox, peregrine falcon have all been seen roaming the streets.  Hopefully, they will prey on the seagull, pigeon, raccoon, and skunk.  

In San Francisco, Animal Care & Control officers have a membership card.  I wonder if that is a Ford OEM Colt Automatic Rifle, or an aftermarket accessory.  

920x920.jpg

And no, that is not my address.  Just a coincidence that they are on 5150 whatever street.  Dog catchers are not coming to my house fully armed, with search warrants.  

• 1 month later...

BSUPC,  I have been driving a full size Transit with the high roof for work lately.  Not a big fan.  It drives like the old vans.  Nothing like the Connect.  It can haul a lot of stuff and pull a lot of weight, but you definitely know its a heavy duty vehicle.  The standard roof model may be a little bit better, but I suspect it will still feel more "commercial" than the Connect. It uses a lot of gas too.  I think a good test drive will help you decide.

You didn't mention looking at trucks, but I test drove the Tacoma and the Nissan Frontier before I got my Connect.  The Tacoma was way too expensive and the dealers wouldn't even talk pricing.  It was pretty much, here it is, take it or leave.  The Frontier was ok, but just ok.  If a small truck is a possibility you may want to give it a test drive.  

I thought about waiting for the new Ford Ranger, but I liked the Connect enough that it wasn't worth the wait to me.

As the others have said, I thought the Metris was too pricey to even look at.  I didn't want the NV200 with the CVT, primarily because I wanted the ability to tow a small trailer.  I read on the NV200 forum that in addition to the "No warranty" when used for towing, they actually have a problem with a proper supporting structure for a hitch.  On the other hand, it gets good reviews so that may be an option for you if you don't need to tow.

I considered the Ram Promaster City.  But the Chrysler/Renault history concerned me enough that I just couldn't  bring myself to test drive it.  Even though I think things have improved with them and I see quite a few of them on the road.

So in the end, the Connect was the best option for me.  Good luck with your search and let us know what you get.  :thumbsup:

I am actually considering all options. I am looking at anything I can put cargo in the back of. I am not above the old school station wagons either. I am looking at new, used, and abused vehicles. But the more that I dig, the more I am leaning towards a used 4WD vehicle. And the more that I look at them the more I am leaning towards a used SUV. I have my eye on a used 05' Ford Explorer right now that was owned by the county next to me. But I am still looking and not 100% set one a single vehicle yet. I also have not ruled out going new or a van either. 

I have also looked at all of those vehicles as well. But the one van that I would pounce on in a heart beat if I could find one in decent shape and the right price would be an old school VW Micro Bus. But good look in finding that combo.  :(       But maybe 2022 will bring me some joy on this one.  :)

https://www.businessinsider.com/vw-microbus-launching-in-2022-will-have-big-updates-2018-1

That is way cool! Not a fan of the touchscreen. interested to see the size of the charger.

If you are looking for a station wagon, check out the Flex it looks old school and it is AWD.

My Tc has been the right size and has enough doors.

Looks like I will be replacing the TC with a used SUV. Just purchased a 2000 Lincoln Navigator with 4 wheel drive. This takes care of almost all of my concerns for a new work vehicle. Maybe one day I cam find another TC that s priced right, but for now this one will fit the bill. 

22 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

You will spend a lot more on fuel.  Parking will not be as easy.

Luckily all of my stops make sure I have a nice wide open area to park in. They have to wait on me to get there and unload before they can start their jobs. So they keep the area clear so I can get in and out fast. Now the fuel is going to be higher  and a downside. Now I will have to drive the Charger a little easier to save money for the work vehicle. LOL

23 hours ago, davidparker said:

Congrats on your purchase.  I hope you will still hangout on the forum.  Maybe we should start a thread for previous owners... :idea:

I still have one more 2012 TC that my Mom drives for work and I do the maint. on. So I will still be sticking around. Plus do not count me out just yet, I may sneak out and snag me another TC one day. ;)    

19 minutes ago, BSUPC said:

Now the fuel is going to be higher  and a downside.

The difference between a V8 getting 11 - 15 MPH & an inline 4 cylinder..........your fuel cost could increase by 50%.  At least in case.  With my weekly fuel consumption in the Transit Connect being about 12 gallons (weekly fillup) - same driving in the F-150, weekly fillup is always at least 20 gallons.  No science there, since every day is a little different.  And my driving is a little more "spirited" in the truck - wide open throttle on freeway onramps, revving the engine at red lights, heavy pedal take-offs......maybe you won't do any of that.  And cost of fuel in your part of the country is probably a lot lower than cost of fuel where I live.  

fuel cost map aaa.jpg

fuel cost map gasbuddy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2018 at 9:16 PM, zalienz said:

I considered the Metris before buying the TC. The Metris was larger, more capable in a cargo sense, but it was $10,000 more than my TC. And, I liked the styling of the TC better.  For what I needed it for (hauling drums) the TC had enough space. Factor in the price of Mercedes replacement parts vs Ford down the road, fuel economy, the TC made more sense. I love this van.

Off topic, but thanks to Fifty150 for the window deflector recommendation, the Weathertech deflectors work and look great.

Sounds familiar.  I would have liked a Metris, but a TC does what I need it to do at a much lower price.  Drums, bass, upright bass, and PA equipment.  Sometimes all at the same time.  Occasionally a motorcycle.  It's not heavy so much as bulky.

My dad and I saw a Mercedes van on the street not too long ago.  He commented that any contractor who pulls up to your house in a Mercedes, will charge you more to pay for his Mercedes.  

I think that the Mercedes is simply a better product in terms of engineering and build quality.  A mercedes sedan, is nicer than a Taurus.  A Mercedes UniMog, is much better than an Explorer.......oops, that was not a fair comparison.  

But I'm not paying the extra $10,000 for a Mercedes anything.  I don't date girls with expensive handbags & shoes with red bottoms.  Same way I would rather eat the $5 burger, than pay $$$XXX for organic, free range, grass fed, prime grade.  I know it's better.  I also know it's more expensive.  The only organic, free range, grass fed any animal that I will eat is one that I shot.  The only Mercedes I will drive, is one that I stole.  No money out of my pocket for luxury items I can't afford.