Ford Transit Connect Forum

Replaced PCM twice in 500 miles? What kills PCMs?

Dogbert62

Yep....  That is the concept...  The grand daughter has shown much progress and has fairly good upper body ability so I am hoping that she will be able to "swing" her way into a normal seat or booster...  Time will tell... 

I agree that normal car seats would be much safer than a strapped down wheelchair.  With that said, lifting a child or teen into a normal seat would likely be tough..  

For reference... these type conversions run $30k ballpark

Regards

Dogbert62

Hopefully you will have better results with the TC now that problem is fixed and you have a reasonable proficient dealer.

the TC is a great people hauler, my 90 year old mother-in-law like it.  She has difficulty walking due to arthritis, the TC is not low or highland she gets in easily.  Today I had my 4 1/2 year old twins, the girl said my roof was very high and demonstrated how she couldn’t jump up and touch it.  My daughter has a Honda Odessey.  

Other day day at Home Depot I saw a fella with a Chevy pickup.  He rolled his wheelchair up and the drivers door slid outwards, he rolled into position and it picked him up and slid closed.  First one of those I’ve seen.  Really cool.

Somehow, the engineers got it right.  With the Transit Connect parked curbside, someone standing on the sidewalk just has to step in and sit down.  No climbing up.  No falling into the car.  Which makes it easier to exit.  The middle seat passenger just steps out and stands.  No climbing up or down.  No side steps needed.  Works just right for seniors.  My 93 year old grandmother does just fine getting in & out of it.  

3 hours ago, Dogbert62 said:

For reference... these type conversions run $30k ballpark

Is that $30K for the entire van with the ramp installed?  Or do you have first buy the van from the dealership, then pay an additional $30K to modify it?  I can't see spending $30,000 on a $22,000 van.That will bring you up to $52,000.  

• 2 weeks later...

"Is that $30K for the entire van with the ramp installed"  >> I contacted a mobility retrofit company which told me that the conversion was ballpark $20-30k if I brought them a new van for the conversion.  Since I only wanted a ballpark, i took it no further...  With that said, I have seen a used TC that have been converted for ~$35k if i remember correctly..

The Honda seems to be the swagger wagon of choice...  Their options list screams soccer mom which would be a good fit as well for me.  A couple downsides as I see it...   First, they can get very pricey...  I generally worry about spending bucks on depreciating assets.  Second, I *think* it is rear wheel drive.  So a wheelchair retrofit would have to come in from the side and not into the back.  I always envisioned opening up my cargo doors and rolling the wheelchair in..  lastly, the TC seems a better fit for camping.  I get the impression that the cargo height with the seat laid flat is better on the TC.  It would be much better if I stripped the seat system out completely.... I think..

Dogbert62

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could press the issue by asking Ford how they intend to compensate you for your loss.  After all, you had to make finance payments on a car you were not sable to drive.  Maybe they can offer something.  Maybe they can extend your warranty....which cost them nothing out of pocket on the front end.  Or ask for some free floor mats, a leather shift knob, and an air freshener.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:24 AM, Fifty150 said:

Any idea what the name of the law is, or what code section it's under? I would like to read it.

It's in the Song-Beverly warranty act of 1970.  There is required verbiage that all work orders for warranty work have to have, which says that the warranty is extended, that faults that arrise during the warranty period need to be fixed even after the end of the warranty, and some other stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of the day, the van is working as intended; picking up my granddaughter from preschool everyday, and hauling all of my grandkids on Grandpa days.  No need for compensation for lost time or money...  it wouldn’t change anything...

With that said, Ford has badly failed to earn my future business...

regards

Patrick

Ford transmissions are usually what fails.  PCM is extremely rare.

I don't blame you.  Chevy lost me decades ago with a Chevy S10 Tahoe Blazer, and I went to the Ford Explorer.  The brand I like for service is Honda.  But Honda does not offer a 1/2 ton truck. And I am not paying that much for a minivan.