Ford Transit Connect Forum

Backup camera recommendations

donuts

Can anyone recommend a specific backup camera system for the Transit Connect cargo van?

I've been poking around Amazon and there are some cheap systems with decent reviews.

I have the bare bones stereo which is fine for my use, but no backup camera.

My van ('17 XL) came with the backup sensors/beeper system which is helpful,  and I like the mirrors that came on the van, but there are times I wish I had the camera.

I've had backup cameras before and they can be very useful.

Thanks

My stock system had issues, and I'd been wanting to upgrade the factory radio, and I'd been thinking of a GPS ... so I got all three. Replaced the stock radio with an integrated double din head that has it all. Camera is a Metra unit that just mounts to the license plate holder. Works nice!

gps-radio.jpg

The head also does the thumb drive thing so I can just load up a few hundred favorite tunes for trips. My only complaint is going with a somewhat cheaper head (Boss Audio) that could use a bit more contrast for better visibility in daylight. I found a shield that clips into the CD slot that helps a lot there, but still looking for an anti glare screen cover that actually works. The one I got is useless shite.

PS ... stock backup camera is still in the TC. The mirror has a light on it to show it's powered, but nothing there. I hope to eventually get it working again, and just make it active all the time for a rear view mirror kinda thang. I did install windows in the back doors that help a LOT, but I still wouldn't mind the camera for extra visibility. Just picked up a replacement camera (the stock type that is also the license plate light) but haven't got around to swapping it in yet.

Edited by sKiZo

I have an XL also. 

My first inclination was to replace the AM/FM XL radio with something nice.  I figured a double din deck, with a touch screen, bluetooth, WiFi, Android, GPS, and USB ports.     I backed off the idea once I started sourcing parts.  The dash trim replacement, and adapters needed for the harness & antenna would have added an additional Franklin to the cost.  It was just less expensive to install a camera & monitor, and use the Garmin GPS that I already have.  Not to mention that there is Google Maps on my phone, and the Waze APP.  I couldn't justify the 5 Franklin expense to play movies on my dashboard.  

I bought an inexpensive camera, along with an inexpensive monitor, from amazon.com.  Wired it the old fashion way, by tapping into the reverse lamp for power.  Somewhere in this forum, I have some photos.  In today's market, you could get everything that you need for about $20, if you are willing to do a little creative wiring.  

•  
  •  
    • 41YolvLUScL._SS40_.jpg
    • 4115RL3WFtL._SS40_.jpg
    • 51vXW6X5weL._SS40_.jpg
    • 41QcrP9gRsL._SS40_.jpg
    • 6183yf8ydbL._SS40_.jpg
    • 41y2DoAiT%2BL._SS40_.jpg
    • 51l34GXFm-L._SS40_.jpg

• RAAYOO High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 4.3" TFT Color LCD Monitor (L013+S4-005)
    Roll over image to zoom in

RAAYOO High Definition Color Wide Viewing Angle License Plate Car Rear View Camera with 4.3" TFT Color LCD Monitor (L013+S4-005)

Price: $26.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • 41qxiBolD0L._SS40_.jpg
  • 41d2FrxWx7L._SS40_.jpg
  • 51z5rzt9CbL._SS40_.jpg
  • 515uyYRe-DL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51KPl1X17xL._SS40_.jpg
  • 518k79SCghL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51DzOfi4DIL._SS40_.jpg

• NOAUKA Waterproof IP68 Night Vision 170 Degree Car Rear view/Reversing/Reverse Camera Universal Color CMOS Imaging Chip Backup Parking HD Front View Camera
Roll over image to zoom in

NOAUKA Waterproof IP68 Night Vision 170 Degree Car Rear view/Reversing/Reverse Camera Universal Color CMOS Imaging Chip Backup Parking HD Front View Camera

Price:

$12.99 | FREE One-Day | FREE One-Day

$16.08
| FREE One-Day | FREE One-Day

Get FREE delivery Tomorrow if you order $35 of qualifying items within 18 hrs and 15 mins and choose this date at checkout.Details

In Stock.

Sold by EPATHDEALS and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.

Qty:                                                                                                                                                             1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                4                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                5                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                6                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                7                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                8                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                9                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                10                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                11                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                12                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                13                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                14                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                15                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                16                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                17                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                18                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                19                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                20                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                21                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                22                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                23                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                24                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                25                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                26                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                27                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                28                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                29                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                30                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Add to Cart

1-Click ordering is not available for this item.

Add to List

Other Sellers on Amazon
Add to Cart
$14.85 
Sold by: Wandou Trade Co. Ltd.
Add to Cart
$16.29 
Sold by: GoodWill Sky
Have one to sell?Sell on Amazon

• 41qtbKk9UvL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg
  • 41eXQJa3otL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg
  • 41m6Fvh-55L._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg
  • 419ky4Gx1%2BL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg
  • 4155CMvQnmL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg
  • 41NYI2nFIHL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg
  • 418y5v4FjtL._SX38_SY50_CR,0,0,38,50_.jpg

• BW 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile
Click image to open expanded view

BW

BW 3.5 Inch TFT LCD Monitor for Car / Automobile

Price: $16.08 | FREE One-Day | FREE One-Day

4.3 Inch Color TFT LCD Color Car Rear View Display Screen Monitor Auto Parking Rearview Reverse Backup Monitor 

• 51Obitv%2BjHL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41jfa%2BrKObL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51jsqNvj48L._SS40_.jpg
  • 41JVWAlYBUL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51E6eaBz4RL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51RIeqzM0fL._SS40_.jpg

• 4.3 Inch Color TFT LCD Color Car Rear View Display Screen Monitor Auto Parking Rearview Reverse Backup Monitor

About the product
  • This monitor will show you the blind spots where your eyes and mirror cannot reach even during dark environment,really advoid a lot of trouble when reverse,driving more safe!
  • Eliminate Blind Spots -- This monitor will show you the blind spots where your eyes and mirror cannot reach even during dark environment,really advoid a lot of trouble when reverse,driving more safe
  • 4.3 inch--Contrast:350:1--NTSC/PAL TV system--480 x 272 Pixes--12V/24V Power System
  • 2 Way AV input, Yellow connector:AV1 input,White connector: AV2 input,Support AV2 reversing 

I had one, gifted to me, that had the camera on the license plate cover.  It was so far off center that it was almost useless for backing up.  The angle of the view put me on the right line and crooked.  Fortunately,  it failed.

I just bought a "no-name" system off E-Bay for $20.00 ... free shipping.

I'll post some reviews when I get it.

The Metra camera I used has a bendable stalk that's easy enough to adjust for center. Not much, as the camera location is only a few inches away from the stock setup. About $30 with excellent night vision.

51LClcMsevL._SX425_.jpg

On the truck, I have one of those cameras that mounts on the license plate screws.  No problem with it.  

Just be careful that if you mount it on the top screws, it could block the license plate state of issue and the registration stickers.  I mounted mine on the bottom of the license plate.  Most license plates have holes on the top & bottom.

I tried one of the cheap under $50 systems for my Mom's F250 and it broke almost immediately. I replaced it with this $200 unit and it's been doing fine ever since. It even survived an accident that required replacing the entire bed of the truck and the camera was uninstalled and reinstalled during the repair with no issues. It was installed in Feb 2013, so 5-1/2 years survival in the Texas heat is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GM5GKO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks everyone, excellent information. More than enough to get a plan together.

I'll post about what I end up doing, though it might be a little while - I've got a lot going on, plus I'm in Tucson so it's kinda hot here right now.

Working on the van doesn't get much priority right now.

Worked my butt off today and now I'm re-hydrating.... with beer of course :-)

The TC made a nice dump run today, something I couldn't do with my prior vehicle (Scion iM).

Had to tear out a bunch of garage cabinets for old lady. They were particle board.

She's 91 and somehow managed to hit the cabinets pulling the car in the garage.

She sure did a job on them. Pretty sure she shouldn't be driving any more...

At least it was the first job of the day so it was only 90 degrees.

The Scion iM was decent. I had it for 2 years, trouble free.

It was a 6sp manual. Fun to drive, quiet, decent fuel economy, very comfortable.

It was a bit lacking in the power department.

Plus space wasn't great for me, especially as my handyman business has grown.

I call the TC my toolbox, and my wife calls it the nerd van.

I don't care she says that because it serves it's purpose well, it drives fine, AC is cold, and carries tons of stuff.

And it easily fits in my garage which is a huge plus living in the desert.