Ford Transit Connect Forum

Fuelling the Air conditioning

Jiquay

I have a regular ride I do on country roads & I thought it would be a good test for my new FTC Wagon. 51 km ride @ 70 - 90 km/h.

Windows open - 7.4 litres per 100 km

Windows closed - 7.3 litres per 100 km

Air conditioned - 8.3 litres per 100 km

Not nearly as bad as my old pickup, which went from 12 to 17.5 with the a.c..

GK

In every modern vehicle, the most fuel efficient use is with windows up for full aerodynamics, and Air Conditioning off to conserve fuel.  

Now try driving at freeway speeds with all the windows open.  You will hear an unbearable noise.

Vent wings help a lot ... cuts down on the wind dramatically and also nice visors for low sun. Also handy for venting the vehicle when parked and keeping the weather out as well. They just press fit into the window channels. I put em on all my vehicles.

vent-wings.jpg

There are 2 versions.  One that simply sticks on.  The better version fits into the window assembly's channel between the glass and the weather seal.  The stick on version uses double sided adhesive.  I have seen people replace the 3M adhesive with Gorilla adhesive.  I reinforced my stick on vent visors with silicone.

This is the one that I installed on my 2016.  It fits perfectly.  You should have no problem installing onto your 2017.

https://www.weathertech.com/ford/2014/transit-connect/side-window-deflectors/

• WeatherTech 80751 Side Window Deflector
Click image to open expanded view

WeatherTech 80751 Side Window Deflector

Price: $68.55 & FREE Shipping

Ford 2014 Transit Connect Side Window DeflectorsIn-Window Channel Rain Guards

FORD TRANSIT CONNECT SHOWN

FORD_Transit_15_80751.jpgdrag or hover to zoom

Representative Photo Gallery

Side Window Deflectors BY WEATHERTECH

Dirt_Truck_SWD_Dark BY WEATHERTECH

Side Window Deflector Rain Guard BY WEATHERTECH

side_window_deflector_snow BY WEATHERTECH

More_Rain_Rd BY WEATHERTECH

Clark_SWD3 BY WEATHERTECH
Side Window Deflector Rain Deflector BY WEATHERTECH

Inside out Side Window Deflector BY WEATHERTECH

Side Window Deflector on a BMW X3 BY WEATHERTECH

Side Window Deflector on a Cadillac Escalade BY WEATHERTECH
Side Window Deflector on a Audi Q7 BY WEATHERTECH

CADI_Escalade_ESV_17_84750 BY WEATHERTECH
+ More Images

Vehicle: 
2014 Ford Transit Connect
Part Number: 80751
Step 1 - Select your set

Step 2 - Select your tint

Step 3 - Select your Quantity- 1 +
                             1                             2                             3                             4                             5                             6                             7                             8                             9                             10                             11                             12                             13                             14                             15                             16                             17                             18                             19                             20                         

$59.95

On 7/13/2018 at 1:21 PM, Fifty150 said:

You will hear an unbearable noise.

This is called wind buffeting. Makes your ears feel like they going to explode. 

Edited by BSUPC
I cant spell. But at least I am pretty. :)

• 1 month later...

I don't get this buffeting with only one window open as I have a couple of roof vents which I keep open about an inch. The vents are located on the rear of the van and are low profile so they don't create any wind noise themselves unless I open them up all the way.  They are also bi-directional so I can open one to force air into the van and the other opened the other way to create a draft to pull air out. When closed they are maybe an inch above the roof surface, so are sort of low profile. I'm kind of thinking about putting another pair of them right behind the driver's area where I can reach while driving.......

I'm hoping to finally begin working on my build out once the temperatures cool down and am working on an idea where I'll have one fan that will pull air in one vent while another fan will push air out to camping. 

Oh, the vents have screens to keep the bugs out. And if you remember to close them when you wash the van, they won't  leak!

I also have a scan guage on my van (left over from my previous full sized van), which gives me real time info on fuel use, amoung other things. At idle, with a/c off and in park, the van burns about a quarter gallon of fuel an hour. Put the van in gear and the drag from the tranny being engaged increases the fuel us to 1/3 gallon per hour. Turn on the a/c at idle, tranny in gear, and the fuel use goes up slightly, from .33 gph to .38 maybe.

Driving down the interstate at 70 mph and I'll average 28 mph, put the a/c on and I'll get 26, at least initially. 

16 hours ago, Booner said:

Driving down the interstate at 70 mph and I'll average 28 mph, put the a/c on and I'll get 26, at least initially.  

If it is humid and over 75  I will pay for the AC.  My two Cats in the back seat are very demanding ( in the summer they are on board 400 miles a week!)

28 minutes ago, G B L said:

If it is humid and over 75  I will pay for the AC.  My two Cats in the back seat are very demanding ( in the summer they are on board 400 miles a week!)

I rarely use the AC, not because of cost but I just like the windows down. Gas mileage is what it is and I don't really pay that much attention to it. I do get the wind buffeting but it helps to open the passenger window. Its very understandable running the AC for the animals and I would too regardless of cost.