Bigfoot

Replacing tires 2016 TC

1 hour ago, windguy said:

I'd be willing to give up mileage life if I could have a quieter tire.

I replaced The Continentals with these.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=16VR6HTRASP02XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I went to 215/60/16.  Better ride Less noise and very acceptable handling .  They also are the proper load range and are priced very competitively.

When I mounted the set  they were round and required very little  weight to balance.

Maybe air pressure will help.  I try to fill tires to 51 PSI.  Although I don't check the air nearly as much as i should.  An old habit of mine has always been to fill up tires to whatever it says on the sidewall, not the sticker on the door jamb.

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Maybe air pressure will help.  I try to fill tires to 51 PSI.  Although I don't check the air nearly as much as i should.  An old habit of mine has always been to fill up tires to whatever it says on the sidewall, not the sticker on the door jamb.

51 psi seems pretty high compared to the recommended 44 front / 48 rear. You would think higher pressure would make the ride harsher with increased road noise.

I check the tire pressure monthly and the spare twice a year. The OEM tires hold pressure very well for my usage, but that's low mileage.

Edited by windguy

3 hours ago, G B L said:

I replaced The Continentals with these.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=16VR6HTRASP02XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I went to 215/60/16.  Better ride Less noise and very acceptable handling .  They also are the proper load range and are priced very competitively.

When I mounted the set  they were round and required very little  weight to balance.

thanks GBL

3 hours ago, windguy said:

51 psi seems pretty high compared to the recommended 44 front / 48 rear. You would think higher pressure would make the ride harsher with increased road noise.

I check the tire pressure monthly and the spare twice a year. The OEM tires hold pressure very well for my usage, but that's low mileage.

It says 51 on the sidewall of the tire.  A lot of people warn against airing up the tires to maximum PSI.  I've always air to maximum for on-road, decrease as needed off-road.  Most people will tell you that the OEM knows what they are doing with the door jam sticker.  That is suppose to be the best PSI for ride comfort, handling, and braking.  But Ford was wrong about that with the Explorer.  I had one of those Explorers.  The sticker said 26 PSI - which is about the same amount of air as I put into a volleyball.  Despite all the controversy, I never had a rollover or blowout.  

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

But Ford was wrong about that with the Explorer.  I had one of those Explorers.  The sticker said 26 PSI

The real problem with the explorer tires was Ford was too cheap to have Firestone design a tire for the vehicle. 

7 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

It says 51 on the sidewall of the tire.  A lot of people warn against airing up the tires to maximum PSI.  I've always air to maximum for on-road, decrease as needed off-road.  Most people will tell you that the OEM knows what they are doing with the door jam sticker.  That is suppose to be the best PSI for ride comfort, handling, and braking.  But Ford was wrong about that with the Explorer.  I had one of those Explorers.  The sticker said 26 PSI - which is about the same amount of air as I put into a volleyball.  Despite all the controversy, I never had a rollover or blowout.  

Here you go  -  #1 of the Ten . . . . Don't over inflate your tires!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/10-things-you-should-never-do-to-your-car/ss-BBLG50T?li=BBnb7Kz

You've got a VERY hard volleyball!!!

Don

Edited by Beta Don

4 hours ago, G B L said:

The real problem with the explorer tires was Ford was too cheap to have Firestone design a tire for the vehicle. 

More like “see if you have a discarded design laying around, the cheaper the better”.