Ford Transit Connect Forum

Replacing tires 2016 TC

Bigfoot

1 hour ago, windguy said:

I'd be willing to give up mileage life if I could have a quieter tire.

I replaced The Continentals with these.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=16VR6HTRASP02XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I went to 215/60/16.  Better ride Less noise and very acceptable handling .  They also are the proper load range and are priced very competitively.

When I mounted the set  they were round and required very little  weight to balance.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe air pressure will help.  I try to fill tires to 51 PSI.  Although I don't check the air nearly as much as i should.  An old habit of mine has always been to fill up tires to whatever it says on the sidewall, not the sticker on the door jamb.

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Maybe air pressure will help.  I try to fill tires to 51 PSI.  Although I don't check the air nearly as much as i should.  An old habit of mine has always been to fill up tires to whatever it says on the sidewall, not the sticker on the door jamb.

51 psi seems pretty high compared to the recommended 44 front / 48 rear. You would think higher pressure would make the ride harsher with increased road noise.

I check the tire pressure monthly and the spare twice a year. The OEM tires hold pressure very well for my usage, but that's low mileage.

Edited by windguy

3 hours ago, G B L said:

I replaced The Continentals with these.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+A%2FS+P02+(H-+or+V-Speed+Rated)&partnum=16VR6HTRASP02XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I went to 215/60/16.  Better ride Less noise and very acceptable handling .  They also are the proper load range and are priced very competitively.

When I mounted the set  they were round and required very little  weight to balance.

thanks GBL

3 hours ago, windguy said:

51 psi seems pretty high compared to the recommended 44 front / 48 rear. You would think higher pressure would make the ride harsher with increased road noise.

I check the tire pressure monthly and the spare twice a year. The OEM tires hold pressure very well for my usage, but that's low mileage.

It says 51 on the sidewall of the tire.  A lot of people warn against airing up the tires to maximum PSI.  I've always air to maximum for on-road, decrease as needed off-road.  Most people will tell you that the OEM knows what they are doing with the door jam sticker.  That is suppose to be the best PSI for ride comfort, handling, and braking.  But Ford was wrong about that with the Explorer.  I had one of those Explorers.  The sticker said 26 PSI - which is about the same amount of air as I put into a volleyball.  Despite all the controversy, I never had a rollover or blowout.  

But Ford was wrong about that with the Explorer.  I had one of those Explorers.  The sticker said 26 PSI

The real problem with the explorer tires was Ford was too cheap to have Firestone design a tire for the vehicle. 

7 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

It says 51 on the sidewall of the tire.  A lot of people warn against airing up the tires to maximum PSI.  I've always air to maximum for on-road, decrease as needed off-road.  Most people will tell you that the OEM knows what they are doing with the door jam sticker.  That is suppose to be the best PSI for ride comfort, handling, and braking.  But Ford was wrong about that with the Explorer.  I had one of those Explorers.  The sticker said 26 PSI - which is about the same amount of air as I put into a volleyball.  Despite all the controversy, I never had a rollover or blowout.  

Here you go  -  #1 of the Ten . . . . Don't over inflate your tires!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/10-things-you-should-never-do-to-your-car/ss-BBLG50T?li=BBnb7Kz

You've got a VERY hard volleyball!!!

Don

Edited by Beta Don

4 hours ago, G B L said:

The real problem with the explorer tires was Ford was too cheap to have Firestone design a tire for the vehicle. 

More like “see if you have a discarded design laying around, the cheaper the better”.

5 hours ago, Beta Don said:

You've got a VERY hard volleyball!!!

Hash Tag Me Too!

The only time I've ever heard of anyone advocating for inflating to maximum PSI is the hypermile fanatics.  MythBusters confirmed that different tire pressure will effect cost per mile.  

My science is junk science and faulty at best.  Since I did not park my car next the the air pump at the service station overnight, I never measure or adjust at cold PSI.  I won't get to a filling station until some time during the afternoon.  Any PSI I am measuring is hot, not cold.  If I then add more air to 51 PSI, it will not be cold 51 PSI in the morning. 

When I get up before the sun comes up to go to work, I never check the tire pressure because I'm already running late.  My whole life, I've never known what the cold PSI was in any vehicle in the morning.  

I hear that the difference between hot & cold PSI is about 4.  Of course, that is also hearsay, a fact not in evidence, junk science, and fake news all rolled into one myth.  Maybe with hot PSI at 51, I have cold PSI at 47.  

The sidewall rating ... say 51 PSI ... is the proper pressure for the also rated maximum weight.  Since your vehicle doesn't apply maximum weight to the tires, you shouldn't be running maximum pressure.

The fact that your Explorer never rolled over, etc. only puts you in the vast majority of people who never experienced the failures. 

Using an infrared temperature sensor, I can tell you that properly inflated tires will, indeed, only rise about 5 or so degrees after a few minutes.  But, under inflated tires can increase tire temperatures by more than 20 degrees.

30 minutes ago, Mike Chell said:

The fact that your Explorer never rolled over, etc. only puts you in the vast majority of people who never experienced the failures. 

Products are recalled every day, in the interest of public safety.  Overreacting?  In the case of the Explorer, you are correct.  A vast majority of people never rolled over or had a tire failure.  A lot of us, by the time that there was a recall, had already bought other tires.  Some people actually check their air pressure and keep tires inflated.  And some people did nothing, and still didn't have a blow out or rollover.  I eat vegetables every day, despite the recalls over salmonella. Every glass of milk puts me one step closer to mad cow disease.  

3 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

The only time I've ever heard of anyone advocating for inflating to maximum PSI is the hypermile fanatics. 

If you have a fully loaded Van or Truck you run Max Psi 100% 0f the time. At least I do.

Every glass of milk puts me one step closer to mad cow disease.   

Surprisingly Close!

Edited by G B L

4 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Every glass of milk puts me one step closer to mad cow disease.  

Not even close to the truth.  Bovine spongiform encephalopathy is only transmissible if under-cooked nerve tissue is ingested ... say, eating a rare steak.  Fully cooking the meat destroys the protein responsible.

Milk, even raw and straight from the udder, doesn't contain the protein.  Even if milk DID contain the protein, pasteurized milk is "cooked" and that protein would've been destroyed.