Ford Transit Connect Forum

Replacing tires 2016 TC

Bigfoot

2 hours ago, G B L said:

Last Year I got a great deal on a Tire machine .  Between the cars and trucks and Trailers in my fleet I have already paid for the machine.  The Internet and free shipping has really made the tire experience much better.

I am so jealous.  I would love to have the room in my apartment for that.  

Most of the equipment is not expensive.  The problem for me, is that I have no place to install all of the equipment.  I would also love to have a lift, a transmission fluid exchanger, and the list goes on.  Tools are not cost prohibitive.  Real estate is what sets me back.  I can buy all this stuff, but have no place to put it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Real estate is what sets me back.  I can buy all this stuff, but have no place to put it.

That's because you live in California  -  For the cost of enough ground for you to put up a carport, I can buy 5 acres here  ?

Don

I put some internet "el cheapos" on the old pickup last week. Seem to drive and ride ok but as far as real quality, who knows. They sure are pretty though. I only drive it short distance local, back and forth to work. Grocery-getter. The local tire shop will mount and balance anything I bring them (and I bring them a lot) for $15 each. It's been ten years or more since I bought a set of tires from their shop but they don't seem to mind.

image.png.ab02fa3491b5382a5f66db0a0d163e2e.png

In case it helps anyone here, I have used the same set of tires on my pickup truck for the last 10 years.  Approximately 60,000 miles.

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10

Overall, I am satisfied that my set of Hankooks did everything that I wanted them to do, and lasted as long as they did.  DynaPro ATM style is not offered in 215/55R16.  But if another Hankook style looks like a good fit for Transit Connect, I would consider buying it.  Hankook is now OEM on several makes and models.  Pricing has gone up since they now have a track record.  Maybe not the best tire for performance.  But good enough for an economy tire.

When I purchased the Hankook tires, this was a new tire on the market.  Most of the Jeep & pickup truck owners I knew used BFGoodrich & Goodyear.  But a few guys like me, always bought the cheapest tire on the market, because when you deflate tires to drive offroad, tires cut and puncture easily.  If I spend the extra $100 on a tire, it would still get cut or punctured when offroading.  No retailer will pro-rate or replace a tire that you damaged rock hopping.

The tires rode for as comfortable as can be expected in a truck.  It's a truck, so road noise was not a factor and did not bother me.  Traction was better than i thought.  With full air @ 50 PSI, it held up to every load of bricks, and towed whatever I hitched behind it - boats, motorcycle trailers, race kart, and a few small subcompacts.  Traction was sure & solid on soft soil, in snow, rocky terrain, and every off-road condition I encountered on camping, hunting, and fishing trips.  Never lost control or hydroplaned in heavy rain and standing water.  Tread always grabbed onto pavement when braking, and truck never went into a skid.  

Recently developed a slow leak in 1 tire.  The sidewall was damaged.  Most likely from rubber aging and deteriorating.  But then again, offroad use with lower PSI, bouncing off and rubbing against rocks, city parking "curb rash", could all be factors in tire damage.  A quick look revealed that tread depth was still acceptable, and the lugs still had sipes.  If the rubber were not splitting, cracking, and falling apart after 10 years of constant abuse, and parking outdoors with UV rays from the sun, I would keep the tires and drive them until bald.  Maybe I can convince a cobbler to re-sole my boots or make campfire sandals with my old tires.

Hankooks have been replaced by GreenBall Kanati Mud Hogs.  If these do not suffer catastrophic failure, I could have them for the next 10 years.  Probably will not keep the truck longer than that.

KIMG2108.thumb.JPG.bced9976ab5a00164b5294d464e7b0d7.JPG

KIMG2106.thumb.JPG.0b23b52e7b73368579ad5e3e473df2d3.JPGKIMG2113.thumb.JPG.a172d14b1add94aaf0dd5bcbb657a6ab.JPG

2 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

I put some internet "el cheapos" on the old pickup last week. Seem to drive and ride ok but as far as real quality, who knows.

Without telling everyone what you spent, since it's nobody's business what your financial standing is, where the tires cheap enough that you saved a significant amount of money?  That factors in with "are they worth it"?  

Since I bought tires on Amazon, it's not a secret what the pricing is, and I don't care if someone knows how much I spent, save, whatever......The GreenBall Kanati in size 35X12.5R17 was priced at $160 per tire, with Sears installing for $19.99.  A BFGoodrich in that same size is about $300 depending on the retailer, plus mounting, balancing, valve stem, TPMS service, road hazard coverage, rotations, disposal, shop supplies, et cetera.  

I'm with you.  It's a pickup truck, so the ride quality isn't going to be great with any tire.  And you're right.  As far as real quality, who knows.  When I buy the tires for half the price of something that is known to be good, I don't expect much.  When the tire holds air, it's "worth it" until it stops being round.  

9 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Without telling everyone what you spent, since it's nobody's business what your financial standing is, where the tires cheap enough that you saved a significant amount of money?  That factors in with "are they worth it"?  

It was right at $100 each give or take a dollar or two. Two different sizes but that was the average. Most people put the same size all around. A very similar looking tire, same sizes, BF Goodrich Radial T/A go for over $700. I stumbled across these on EBAY with the actual distributor being some little hole in the wall kind of place in Sparta, NC. Who the actual manufacturer is, I have no idea.

I don't really know if "worth it" was the driving factor here anyway. I wanted what I wanted. There was absolutely no reason other than that to change what was on the truck in the first place. I took those and gave them to someone who needed a set of tires but couldn't afford to buy them.

7 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

gave them to someone who needed a set of tires but couldn't afford to buy them.

Good for you.  Whomever receives them is getting a lot of help from you.  A set of tires is so expensive, that it could equal someone's grocery budget for a month.  

Actually, any vehicle maintenance can be out of reach for a lot of people who are low income.  If you're barely getting by, an oil change or brake job can impact your food budget.  Tough choice.  

Nobody ever listens to me, because I am Nucking Futs.  For years, I have been trying to interest people in a non-profit garage.  Provide job training for automotive maintenance skills, and poor people get work done fro reduced or no cost, based on a sliding scale.  Ask dealerships for sponsorships with training material, shop supplies, tools, parts.....all which they can write off.  Train unskilled workers and provide job placement.  And the most important part of all is providing vehicle maintenance to people who cannot afford expensive repairs.  So that a single mother has a safe vehicle, with working brakes, to drive her children around in.  

But again, I am Nucking Futs.

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

And the most important part of all is providing vehicle maintenance to people who cannot afford expensive repairs.  So that a single mother has a safe vehicle, with working brakes, to drive her children around in.  

But again, I am Nucking Futs.

I don't think so (at least not on this subject)?

Fifty, there used to be places like that all over.  Almost every town I lived in, back in the 70s/80s and a little into the 90s, had one or more community colleges that offered free or low cost repairs to the general public.

But then lawyers, as always, screwed everything up for everyone.  A place like you describe, a "a non-profit garage" is almost impossible today.  The insurance required for liability would be astronomical.  Actually, surprises me that FOR profit garages still exist, based on the litigious environment we live in.

We used to have shop classes in high schools.  Wood, metal, auto, electrical, drafting, horticulture, printing.....those kids did repairs for the actual school building, and other nearby city facilities.  Auto shop used to do service work on city vehicles.  Print shop made year books, produced business cards, letterhead, et cetera.   If a kid took shop in high school, he/she learned everything needed to graduate into a trade.  

The Shop Program was eliminated for several reasons.  Unions did not want high school kids taking union members jobs.  Parents wanted the money allocated for college prep, sports, and arts.  Then came talk of money for computers, and basic supplies like paper and pencils.  Kids were not signing up to take shop.  And believe it or not, kids don't want to take science classes (too hard).

Budget cuts, plus lack of interest, eliminated Drivers Ed, JROTC, Arts, Science, and Shop.  

To satisfy all the thespians, musicians, pole dancers, fashion designers, FBI sketch artist, chefs, broadcasters, mimes........The City opened a School of Arts (SOFA). More cost effective to put them under one roof, and protect them from all the other kids who beat them up.  There is now a technology program which may turn to a Technology School.  A School of Science was developed for biology, physics, chemistry, MythBusters geeks, meth labs, and bomb builders.  School of Business also absorbed the foreign languages.  No interest whatsoever in a School for Trades, or a War School of Political Science to ready teenagers for military service.   

Ongoing joke is that they are starting a 4H Program and teaching indoor marijuana production.  San Francisco does not have 4H.  Our boys don't get to know sheep up close and personal.

Edited by Fifty150

1 hour ago, Fifty150 said:

Budget cuts, plus lack of interest, eliminated Drivers Ed, JROTC, Arts, Science, and Shop. 

Only in big cities, Fifty.  Small town America still has schools that teach the way we were ... which is actually a large percentage of the kids who "make it" in this world.

But, no work on "customers" vehicles, etc. ... for teh reason I stated above.

3 minutes ago, Mike Chell said:

Only in big cities, Fifty.  Small town America still has schools that teach the way we were ... which is actually a large percentage of the kids who "make it" in this world.

But, no work on "customers" vehicles, etc. ... for teh reason I stated above.

As they say, "life in the big city".  Another one of the things that divides us.  People in big cities, like me, are so far removed from the day to day realities of the rest of the country.  Big cities tend politically influence the nation's policies and economy without consideration for everyone else who is not in the big city.  

In New York, the “low income” threshold for a family of four is $83,450 per year. In Los Angeles, it's$77,500. Making ends meet for a family of four in San Francisco requires a household income of $92,139, according to MIT's living wage calculator.Jun 28, 2018

San Francisco families earning $117,000 qualify as 'low income'

We have people earning 6 figure incomes for work which in some parts of the nation, is paid at a federal minimum wage.  Cost of living and standards of living are different.  As I look around me, nobody except for me has an old car.  My truck is over 10 years old.  Every bartender, store clerk, coffee shop barista, et al are driving new cars.  A waiter in SF can bring in hundreds of dollars in cash tips every night, over a thousand in unreported income a week.  He can buy a Transit Connect in cash.  A waiter in another part of the country making the federal minimum wage, may not even qualify for credit to buy a $22,000 car when he only makes $14,500 a year.  

9 hours ago, G B L said:

In Vermont we call this the Good News Garage!

Sounds like a decent program, but it seems maybe they stopped the garage part?

"We have made the difficult decision to close our automotive repair garage effective July 31."

I have trouble with non-profits when the "profit" starts creeping back in.

Thanks for the input guys.

I would agree that having Road Hazard insurance is worth the added expense, especially since tires for me are like magnets for screws. So far the TC has been good to me for that but I've run into some bad luck over the years. In some cases the tire can be plugged, but in others it has to be replaced if the hole is near the sidewall.

After reading the warranty guide I got the feeling that there are two warranties, one from Ford and one from Continental. I need to stop by a local tire shop and discuss my options with them. We have every major chain tire store on the west coast in town but through years of elimination from bad experiences I've found America's Tire (in CA and Discount Tire in other states) to provide the best service and competitive pricing.

Attached are snaps of each tire. The tire wear seems to be fairly even across each tire and among the set of tires. My crude measurement shows about 1/16" of tread left at best. Tough to tell who is going balder faster, my tires or my head ?

I've been inflating tires per the spec at 44 fronts and 48 rears. Tires hold air very well on monthly checks but with low mileage between checks.

right rear.JPG

right front.JPG

left front.JPG

left rear.JPG

Edited by windguy

Those tires look alright to me.  I would still drive on them.  

Some of the tire shops are franchised, and they could work with you.  Costco & Wal*Mart  may have lower "out the door" pricing.  As I drive around here in Norte Califas, I see Firestone, Big O, Bridgestone, WheelWorks, Goodyear, Manny, Moe, & Jack,.  In my area, there has to be about 15 independent shops for 1 corporate chain shop.  They all want your business.  Make sure that you compare "out the door" pricing.  Some places quote a price, say that you get free installation, then still charge you for everything as an itemized fee.  "Free Installation" only means that they put on your lug nuts free of charge.  You still have to pay for disposal of old tires, TPMS service, valve stems, mounting, balancing, weights, "compressed air fee", "torque application",   "shop time",  "the donut you ate while staring at the receptionist", and "anything else that we can make up to get another $5 per tire".  

Oh, and ask to see the tire before it goes on your car.  Don't assume that it will be fine.  I know more than 1 person who got tires "on sale", and they were old stock.  Check the production date.  My ex bought tires like that.  I brought the car right back, and the tire shop owner agreed to replace with new tires if the the tread started splitting or the rubber started rotting.  None of that "pro-rated pricing".  He also agreed to fix any flats she may get "on the house" - what other people call road hazard insurance.  I didn't call the Bureau of Automotive Repair, or the District Attorney's Office, and I didn't beat him up.  I was younger then.  With the office door closed, I could have given him a real hurting until his guys in the shop break down the door to save him.  As I am more mature, I've learned that is not how you do things.  Wait for him to go home for the night, and burn down his shop!

My ex was one of those independent "I don't need a man" types.  She had to prove to the world, or maybe prove to herself, that she was capable of getting through life without help from anyone.  Worked out well in my favor.  Less heavy lifting for me.  Except for when the car dealership service writer sells her the $100 fuel injection cleaning, and all that they did was add a bottle of Techron to the gas tank.  Or the tire shop installs tires with a date code from 5 years ago.  Or when the dry cleaner adds a "pressing fee" to her business clothes.  Or when she pays the extra charge for vegetarian pork fried rice (no pork).  No babe.  They don't make the fried rice, then pick out all the pork by hand.  They just make friend rice, and not add any pork.  

14 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

"We have made the difficult decision to close our automotive repair garage effective July 31

I did not see that story. I will have to see what happened .

9 hours ago, G B L said:

Windguy  what is the tread depth compared to your spare? Looks like they have at least a year left for you.  You do not see any Snow in your driving? 

Thanks for the replies GBL and Fifty150

Tread depth on the spare is 5/16 and on the other tires is 1/16". Crudely measured using a carpenter's combo t-square. Not very precise.

No snow in my parts and I avoid driving when it's raining. Biggest road hazard to the tires would be sharp rocks fallen onto the road when crossing the canyon roads.

I'll stop by a tire place and have them check it out and see what type of proration they can offer me. It might be more prorateable before the tires go to no tread. Will update.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:09 PM, windguy said:

my last oil change at 15,000 miles when tires were rotated (done very 5,000 miles), the service advisor told me the tread is down to 30%

Windguy, my van & your van have about the same amount of miles.  Here is what my OEM tire, driver's side front, looks like.  My tires have never been rotated.  There is a theory that you don't rotate your tires, because allowing them to wear evenly only hides your alignment faults.  Leave them in place, and you can see from the wear pattern, how your alignment is off.  Then fix the alignment.  

Your tires and mine look very similar as far as wear.  I think that you are fine, and that you won't need new tires immediately.  Look at the wear indicator.  You and I both have a few more miles to go before shopping for new tires.  

Each tire wear indicator on a tire provides a visual indication of whether the tread is worn to 2/32″. When you visually inspect one of your tires, find a tire wear bar and see if it is flush with the rest of the tire's tread. If so, your tire is worn to 2/32″, and you need to replace it as soon as possible.
Edited by Fifty150

On 8/10/2018 at 7:09 PM, windguy said:

Can anyone confirm the mileage rating on the OEM tires, Conti Pro Contact Extra Load?

My notes when I bought the van in 2015 are showing 80,000 miles, but I'm not seeing that online now.

I just got an estimate from a local dealership.  

OEM Continental tires have a 60,000 mile warranty.  From the best of my recollection:  no tire has an 80,000 mile warranty.  Typically 40,000 - 60,000.

image.thumb.png.78f343afef1e548e7691c6d9b5fb1aad.png

On 8/15/2018 at 7:30 PM, Fifty150 said:

I just got an estimate from a local dealership.  

OEM Continental tires have a 60,000 mile warranty.  From the best of my recollection:  no tire has an 80,000 mile warranty.  Typically 40,000 - 60,000.

Thanks Fifty150 for the info and pics of your tires. Your tires appear to have more tread than mine and you have 13% more mileage on them than mine.

I have seen Conti tires with an 80,000 mile rating. See screen shot below from America's Tire website (Discount Tire outside CA). Perhaps that's where I originally got the 80,000 mileage rating not noticing that this tire isn't the exactly the same as the OEM tire. The OEM tire with a similar name shows 60,000 on the same website. With a replacement tire I'd be willing to give up mileage life if I could have a quieter tire. That's most important for me with handling being a low priority. The reality might be that my driving habits will prematurely destroy any tire out there so might as well get the benefit of a quieter tire.

Control Contact Tour AS Plus.jpg