Ford Transit Connect Forum

Harbor Freight

Fifty150

10 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

image.png.5efbe5d9b69002b89884410a116683dd.pngattachment.php?s=7bab9e74702d6c312fdf2c145e56acbb&attachmentid=7057107&d=1529880025

Hehe. A post about a tool store has broken. I dont remember posting that( I have slept since then ), but I like talking about stuff from Harbor Freight. 

Has anyone bought one of those low priced air compressors from Harbor Freight?  How well does it work?  Is it good enough for automotive: inflate tires, air ratchet, air hydraulic bottle jack, impact guns?

Central Pneumatic® 61615 3 gal. 1/3 HP 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor

Double click on above image to view full picture

3 gal. 1/3 HP 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor

CentralPnuematic.gif

Central Pneumatic®- Item#61615

This oilless air compressor is ideal for inflation, stapling, brad nailing and air brushing 

Only: $54.99

Compare to $98.62, Porter-Cable PCFP02003

Sale $44.99 with coupon 17656746
Add item to cart to redeem coupon

I had a 3 gallon (hot dog shaped) compressor from there ... bought it about 6 or so years ago.

It worked for everything from tire inflation to a small air nail gun.  It wasn't good for my die grinder or impact gun, though.  Ran out of pressure too quickly.

The regulator/control unit started leaking air.  I took a look at it, and decided to buy another one, rather than trying to fix it. 

I haven't decided which one, but I'm veering towards the 21 gallon size.

Went to harbor freight today. Got me some more rubber gloves for the shop. Love those 7 mil gloves. Walked around for about 30 minutes looking at what I wanted, then grabbed the 4 boxes of gloves I needed and left. My wish list grew yet again this trip. 

I've hear of California Air Tool.  They are also sold on amazon.com.

I think that the attraction to Harbor Freight is the pricing.  It lets you buy a lot of things that you may not otherwise buy.  The Harbor Freight vs California Air Tools may or may not be a fair comparison.  Pricing is double.  Will you get your money's worth?  That depends on who you ask.  Some Harbor Freight items are complete junk.  Some Harbor Freight items are just as good as the rest of the stuff out there.  

One of my favorite Harbor Freight items is the $5 socket set.  I've done so much with this item, that it is completely worth $5.  I can recall breaking 1 socket.  The store gave me a new one.  

Pittsburgh® 62843 40 Pc 3/8 in. Drive SAE & Metric Socket Set

40 Pc 3/8 in. Drive SAE & Metric Socket Set

Pittsburgh.gif

Pittsburgh®- Item#62843

A high quality, low price socket set that fits under your car seat 

Only: $4.99

Compare to $19.97, Kobalt 89809

The breaker bars and torque wrenches have always been attractive deals.  Controversy over whether Harbor Freight torque wrenches are accurate.  A lot of people worry about Harbor Freight breaker bars failing.  But I'm not using these tools to make a living.

So tempting for $40

Central Pneumatic® 61615 3 gal. 1/3 HP 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor

3 gal. 1/3 HP 100 PSI Oilless Pancake Air Compressor

CentralPnuematic.gif

Central Pneumatic®- Item#61615

This oilless air compressor is ideal for inflation, stapling, brad nailing and air brushing 

Only: $54.99

Compare to $98.62, Porter-Cable PCFP02003

Sale $39.99 with coupon 59413379
Add item to cart to redeem coupon

I don't doubt it.  Noise level can drive you crazy.  

I'm just wondering if the more expensive air compressors will outperform and outlast the Harbor Freight compressor.  Because even at half price, it's a waste of money when it doesn't work.

Big fan of harbor freight here ... they got some real decent stuff at great prices. One of my favorite go to cleanup tools is their 3hp bullet vac - thing's pretty much indestructible. Only fair after maybe 20 years is I broke one of the clips that hold the bag cover in place, but nothing a little duct tape couldn't cure.

According to my research ... the California Air Compressor, in the same gallon size that I want, is 3 times more expensive than the Harbor Freight equivalent.

I'm not paying that much more just to have a quieter compressor.  Especially considering the tools I'm using are more louder than my last compressor.

If you're using a compressor everyday, for commercial use where you're getting paid for your work, then spending the extra money might be worth it.  But for the hobbyist ... Harbor Freight tools are MORE than adequate.

3 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Big fan of harbor freight here ... they got some real decent stuff at great prices.

I hate to admit it that they just got another $100 out of me today.......even though I had their super coupons.  A couple of breaker bars, torque wrenches, and extendable ratchets in different drive sizes.....ninety nine cents for a couple of picks, throw in the free tarp........and now I hate myself for giving them another $100.  Amazing that I can buy a breaker bar for less than $20, when a similar breaker bar from Snap On is literally about $200.  

I sure wish that Harbor Freight has a sliding handle.  I couldn't find it on their website.  The Snap On version is almost $100, once I pay for the tax plus shipping, or call the local tool truck guy and pay his mark up for coming to my door.

S12L.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mike Chell said:

If you're using a compressor everyday, for commercial use where you're getting paid for your work, then spending the extra money might be worth it.  But for the hobbyist ... Harbor Freight tools are MORE than adequate.

I agree.  You are absolutely correct.  A guy like me who does an oil change every few months, and may change a flat tire if the occasion arises, will never truly "need" to buy a compressor like that.  My real concern with buying a cheap compressor, is that it becomes a waste of money when I run out of air in the middle of a job, does not supply enough for what I'm doing, or it simply stops working when I need it. 

The compressor that I have now is the "cheap" Porter Cable 6 gallon  Model no. C2002. 

61TUMj8XYNL._SL1000_.jpg

$99 @ Lowes & $89 on amazon.com.  Pretty good for topping off the tires on my motorcycle, or blowing compressed air when I want to clean something.  I have an air ratchet that I used with it a few times, and it's fine for a couple of bolts here & there.  But I really don't do anything that I couldn't do by hand with a wrench.  

I remember once using a cheap compressor a buddy had:  we were trying to put together a couple of 2X4s to build a long pallet.  Easy job.  Build a 2X4 ladder, then attach a couple of regular pallets onto it.  In theory, you could load something the size of a coffin on top, then build a crate around it to protect what you are shipping.  The compressor kept running out of air (and we had to wait 20 minutes while it refilled).  Some of the nails only drove into the wood halfway (which we had to follow and finish with a regular hammer).  Even though that compressor did not just quit and stop working, it was not ideal.  My buddy offered to give me that one for free, since he was so frustrated that he went out and bought a larger, more expensive brand compressor that day.  

If you're using air hungry power tools, you do need a larger tank.  It's not the size of the compressor motor, as much as the size of the tank.  Air tools like nailers, grinders and hammers need larger tanks.

I'm waiting for space in my garage ... but my next compressor will be at least 20 gallons.  And it will be from H.F.

Luckily for me, I'm not fabricating shipping containers for caskets all that often.  It's not like I have bodies in my basement that I need to get rid of before the cops come with a warrant.  

Unless I have a job that I really need an air tool for, I am lazy.  I don't want to fire up the compressor, then only to have to let all the air out of the tank and bleed it later,  for turning just a few bolts.  I can see if I'm in a shop, then air tools are the way to go.  But at home, who is firing up a compressor for an oil change?  

I found an Auto-Hammer at Sears that works so well, I haven't used a pneumatic nail gun at home since I bought it.

If anyone sees one of these at a Harbor Freight store, please let me know, and post the part no. if you can.  That way I can try to pull up the part no. on their website.  The closest Harbor Freight, with traffic, is almost an hour away from me.  In addition to what we pay for bridge toll, I may as well order online and pay for the shipping.  

Craftsman 15 in. Slide Bar, 1/2 in. Drive

Item: 44151 | Model: 44151
Craftsman 15 in. Slide Bar, 1/2 in. Drive

$99.99  

Item Is Sold Out 

• 2 weeks later...