Ford Transit Connect Forum

Yet Another 2011 Connect Conversion

Interesting that you wanted to do all of this work to a 2011.  I would have chosen a current model just to have the long wheel base.  The last time that I was at the dealership, I noticed that the commercial vans were stripped down in different configurations.  Some versions even had all of the auto glass.  For anyone else looking to build a camper, that may be an option.  A long wheel base, with windows.  

8 hours ago, sKiZo said:

Hospital parking lot tops out at 7 feet, and I guess they're not kidding. They're nice enough to have a plastic bumper hanging down before you hit the concrete, so I backed out as soon as I heard the thonk. Bit of a scratch is all.

I once entered a parking structure in a Russian ghetto in our town. It had no height beacon so I entered. Every beam was of different height which got me worried a bit until one moment I head a loud screech and came to a dead stop. I had pinned myself under one. Can't recall precisely but I think i lowered the tire pressure and asked the dumbass that took me there to stand on the rear bumper to lower the car to get it out of there.

Edited by mrtn

• 3 months later...

Thank god I havet posted up in years... y'all are breakin this poor guys Balls over HUBCAPS. REALLY?! That's kinda petty. Just be happy anyone still has the 11' model that's not totally destroyed or Delivers Flowers and Oxygen to dying people in hospice. Triggered? Na. Just hate bullies. Can't wait to post up my lifted mountain camper so you can pick it death for all its impurities. Laters y'all 

On 7/13/2018 at 8:53 PM, sKiZo said:

Speaking of which ... playing around in photoshop again. I took the original shelving unit out as that's just too bulky and didn't lay out right for my liking. This one would fit between the side and rear doors.

camper-kitchen2.jpg

Hi SKiZo,  Just a thought here.  With your mobility issues, you may want to put the kitchen IN one of the doors for loading ice and propane.   I think this guys kitchen is pretty slick.   Just a thought. 

This is the first time I noticed you post.  You conversion is really nice!  Good job!  Let us know how the A/C turns out.  :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, davidparker said:

Hi SKiZo,  Just a thought here.  With your mobility issues, you may want to put the kitchen IN one of the doors for loading ice and propane.   I think this guys kitchen is pretty slick.   Just a thought. 

Thanx for the video - I downloaded that one some time back and kinda forgot about it, but in review, it's got some killer features to it. I do like the kitchen in the door, and I've seen some that are made to swing out for outdoor cooking and such.

cvl-update-kitchen-outside.jpg

Also playing with the idea of the bed extension. I'm thinking the setup shown in the video you posted would be kinda complicated with one leg. Instead, just have the extension slide out to seat length, then have another section that would fold down from the front to fill the gap after I'm on the partially assembled bed. That front section wouldn't need a lot of strength as it would only be supporting my feet, so I could even go with some sort of lattice or web type arrangement to hold the mattress section. Fold that down when it's time to sleep, move the cushion(s) there, remove and stash my custom body parts ? and nighty night.

**  Project did get derailed this summer as I ended up having some followup surgery, but I'm back at it, slowly but surly. So far, mostly still thinking and collecting parts, but I did make templates for the storage area that fit into the contours of the van nicely. Transfer those to plywood shortly and get a good idea where I'm going here. I DO want to keep an open shelf even with the height of the new windows for visibilty - be nice for stuff I want handy while camping that would be otherwise stored when rolling.

Keep forgetting there's a time limit on editing posts here ... (mutter mumble) ...

Rainy day, so playing with photoshop. Here's the "short bed" I was talking about. Back wall is the kitchenette in the passenger side door with one side rail for the slider built in, and not shown is the fold down section for the foot area of the bed once I'm more or less settled in. The slide out with the handles is the seating area, and the front rail would slide all the way to the front and lock in place with two legs for support.

short-bed2.jpg

Edited by sKiZo

If I can dream for anything, that is to convert my van into a rolling bathroom.  A toilet wherever I go.  I could sleep outdoors under the stars. I can cook over an open fire. That's what camping is about right?  But the luxury of a rolling toilet on road trips would be out of sight.  I could make my girlfriend drive it, and follow me as I ride my Harley.  I would be the envy of every MC.  

Related image

I think it's completely possible to add the plumbing in the back of a Transit Connect.  Nothing's perfect......but what a lifesaver.  Especially since most Harley guys are not young men.  I pity the old lady who has to drive the mobile toilet at the back of the pack.  Better than hauling Honey Buckets with a pickup truck.

Image result for motorcycle rally port a potty

I've got a small chemical toilet that works in a pinch ... set it on top of the cooler, and it's even a good working height.

PS ... if you go to grab a beer from the cooler and come back with a handful of brown, chances are good it's not ice cream ...  ;-}