Ford Transit Connect Forum

2013 adding sliding door glass right and left side

Hi, has anyone replaced the composite panels on a 2013 Transit connect and installed glass windows? any advice and photos would be appreciated. I've located the glass panels primer and adhesive but little on the actual procedure. Thanks! 

Edited by Bills

• 3 months later...

On 6/24/2018 at 11:00 AM, Bills said:

Hi, has anyone replaced the composite panels on a 2013 Transit connect and installed glass windows? any advice and photos would be appreciated. I've located the glass panels primer and adhesive but little on the actual procedure. Thanks! 

Remembering discussions from prior years: the panels are glued in and the usual ways (heat, solvents) are used to release the glue. Clean up the surface and glue the glass in. Basically.  ;)

Where did you source the glass and adhesive?  Safelite wants $500 to replace 1.  

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where he got glass, but Speedy Auto Glass out here will do one for about $325.  That includes the glass and labor.  This lazy man thinks it's just fine to pay somebody else to do the work.  Besides, I usually screw it up a couple times, so it's money well spent.

Edited by WillMartin

I find that on a lot of little jobs like that, the guys at the shop have just the right tools, supplies, knowledge, experience, and know a few short cuts.......where they slap a windshield up in 10 minutes, then you just have to wait for the product to cure & set before they let you drive it off.  You ever try grabbing a windshield by yourself, and setting it in straight, and hoping that the seal is good even though you had no idea what you were doing with it?  Not that you can't do it.  You could.  But it might be better to spend the extra $35 or whatever so that a shop tech gets it right.  You could make your own sushi too.  It would taste fine after you dip it in soy sauce and wasabi.  But you might die from handling the raw fish the wrong way.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, WillMartin said:

I don't know where he got glass, but Speedy Auto Glass out here will do one for about $325.  That includes the glass and labor.  This lazy man thinks it's just fine to pay somebody else to do the work.  Besides, I usually screw it up a couple times, so it's money well spent.

I'd have done it for $325.  $500 is just enough to make he say "eh".