Ford Transit Connect Forum

the OH CRAP tote

On 6/19/2018 at 1:38 AM, BSUPC said:

. And that is another topic right there, the OH CRAP tote. Something everyone should have tucked away in the vehicle. Might have to inventory mine one day on here. Unless someone else wants to start that topic off. Never know when you going to need tools and common parts. 

I just realized this is a brand new topic that you started and quoted me in. Just as soon as I am able I will get my totes out of the van and start taking a inventory. This will also let me remember what all is in them myself lol. 

On 6/24/2018 at 8:32 AM, Mike Chell said:

I don't wear boots.

I giggle every time I hear someone say boot for the trunk and bonnet for the hood. 

I'm on The Left Coast.  I still don't know half the time what people from different parts of the USA are saying.  Huge cultural divide.  Sort of like being a fast cook, and making grits faster than the rest of the grit eating world.

I can honestly say, that in all of the restaurants I've  dined in, in Northern & Southern California, I have never seen a grit on the menu.  Come to think of it, I don't even remember the last time that I saw a grit for sale in the market.  Must be a Left Coast thing.  Grits just aren't a part of California Cuisine.  We're too busy eating granola.

• 7 months later...

Sufficient time has gone by.  I have added to the Transit Connect:

A plug kit.

DP-XT-AL.1.jpg

Release the spare tire, lowers the winch cable.

• OEMTOOLS 22841 13mm Metric Drive Hex Bit Socket

13mm Metric Drive Hex Bit Socket

A 3/4" deep impact socket, 1/2" drive, for the wheel lug nuts.

Image result for craftsman deep impact socket 1/2 inch drive

A long handle breaker bar.

Image result for breaker bar

A torque wrench for remounting the wheel & tire.

Image result for sears craftsman torque wrench

A little floor jack in a case.  

Image result for torin floor jack with case

A little box of tools that someone gave me years ago.  It has sat in storage for over decade, because I already have better tools at home.  But this will give me a handful of tools in the event of an emergency.

Image result for craftsman evolv mechanic tool set

A Multi-Tool for little things.

Related image

Edited by Fifty150

Wow I completely forgot about this. I never did do the inventory. We must change this. I am writing it down on the big board for later today when I wake up. So with that said I will probably take me till June 24, 2019 to get it done. lol

The reality is you will most likely need a PC and specialized software to fix a problem. The days of raising the hood to troubleshoot car problems on the side of the road are gone. But tools can help if you stop to help someone driving a vehicle from last century ?

I carry a few wrenches that are left-over from my 1973 Chevy Oh, Crap kit, a booster cable, a first aid kit, and my cell phone.  And a card for the AMA, who are about motorcycles, but also have a towing deal like AAA.  I try not to know very much about the van's mechanical parts.  What I need to know is how often to take it in for maintenance, and what I want maintained that isn't necessarily on the official list (transmission fluid).

6 hours ago, Don Ridley said:

The reality is you will most likely need a PC and specialized software to fix a problem. The days of raising the hood to troubleshoot car problems on the side of the road are gone. But tools can help if you stop to help someone driving a vehicle from last century ?

You can still change a tire, jump start, change a broken fan belt, repair and/or change a leaking hose, change a light bulb, change the wiper blades, change a fuse..........all sorts of little things like that on the side of the road.  You can still change the oil, change the transmission fluid, change the spark plugs and coils, add washer fluid,  install a backup camera,  and perform minor service in your driveway.  Even with a sophisticated computer, bolt on parts are still bolt on parts.  Don't let the sensors intimidate you.  It's not like making roast beef in a microwave.

18 hours ago, davidparker said:

I keep a roll of TP in a waterproof bag in my tote.  I guess that makes mine a true Oh Crap tote! ;)

2019-02-17 08.19.25.jpg

Some people never leave the house without a handful of wipes in a sandwich bag.  Hygiene is important.  You don't want to be that guy in the stall, with nothing to clean with.

Related imageImage result for wipes in a ziplock

Toilet paper is overrated ,  videos out there confirm that many newbies to the USA just squat and drop no wiping or clean up required .  Something that saves a ton of time , you don't even have to seek out a place to do it ,  video's confirm any public place is fine including sidewalks , office building hallways etc...

13 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

My dad said that if a contractor shows up at your house in a Mercedes, don't even let him in.  He has to charge more, for the same job, in order to make those Mercedes payments.  

There's a warehouse construction next to my "home" gas station 5 minutes from my house. All the guys there are hauling their gear around in the latest model Denalis, Laramies and Raptors. If I was the client I would think that I might be overpaying for the job.

Note that these trucks cost A LOT more over here, Denali and RAM Laramie are €70K, Raptor is €86K.

Edited by mrtn

Those are "bling bling" pickups.  Work trucks are typically XL & XLT models at best.  Those guys might as well be doing construction work in designer jeans, and wearing Rolex watches.

My dad also told me that you could wear a Rolex for the cost difference between a work truck & a show off truck.