Ford Transit Connect Forum

elusive "upper rear tail light" where to get?

On 8/3/2018 at 1:49 PM, DonShockley said:

..... So hopefully it will be here soon. The bigger question may be if my TC will be fixed and out of the shop before it arrives.

Well, the parts from Latvia got to the house just ahead of my TC making it home from the shop, so Latvian/USA post wins the race.

I'll do a longer post later on the install, but the short story is the parts fit and it's a simple swap with just a couple screws. Here's a few pix.

20180808_171723 (Large).jpg

20180808_171812 (Large).jpg

20180808_173752 (Large).jpg

20180808_175336 (Large).jpg

32 minutes ago, DonShockley said:

Well, the parts from Latvia got to the house just ahead of my TC making it home from the shop, so Latvian/USA post wins the race.

I'll do a longer post later on the install, but the short story is the parts fit and it's a simple swap with just a couple screws. Here's a few pix.

That looks very nice Don - great job, worth the long wait.

I think the reflectors look better on the wagon model with the painted bumpers, side molding, door handles. There isn't black molding to compliment the black trim piece.

On my XLT van, I have black in those areas and I'm on the fence towards my preference for changing that.

1641338884_tcback.jpg.79269458790a7fab407b49a0758b0971.jpg

As a safety feature, those reflectors are useful.  

Reminds me of how some kids put reflectors on their bikes, while kids like me took all the reflectors off the bike.  

I installed an LED light onto my plastic trim piece.  It is wired to turn on with my off-road lights, and strobe as an emergency beacon.  But not everyone will want to have a flashing red light on their car.

• 1 month later...

KIMG0125.thumb.JPG.483119f4ffb1edd84e9727f222c0237b.JPG

In case anyone really needs to see it, here is what the trim piece looks like once you take it off.  Two torx screws.  Two mounting plugs.  Remove the screws.  Then gently nudge away from vehicle body with a trim tool  Or just grab it, pull really hard, and hope that you don't break off the plastic mounting plugs.

2 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

In case anyone really needs to see it, here is what the trim piece looks like once you take it off.  Two torx screws.  Two mounting plugs.  Remove the screws.  Then gently nudge away from vehicle body with a trim tool  Or just grab it, pull really hard, and hope that you don't break off the plastic mounting plugs.

Thanks 5150. That's just what I needed to see. Been wanting to paint mine white but those plastic mounting plugs were still holding it on and I couldn't tell precisely what it was. Didn't want to just yank on it and break something. It's what I THOUGHT it was, now I KNOW.

17 hours ago, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Didn't want to just yank on it 

That's what I did the first time I took it off.  Grabbed, wiggled, and pulled.  The car was only a few days old, and I just had to see what it looked like under there.  I should have taken photos back then.  Now, we all know.  Just a couple of plastic plugs.

• 6 months later...
On 10/1/2018 at 4:44 AM, Fifty150 said:

Throw up a photo of the outside if you will. I’m going to mod my spare set with some rear warning lights as soon as I get an opportunity,

12 hours ago, ncranchero said:

Throw up a photo of the outside if you will. I’m going to mod my spare set with some rear warning lights as soon as I get an opportunity,

There are more photos on this thread:

KIMG0158.thumb.JPG.3c95c64157306c3e39d9cc91c0c67e3d.JPGKIMG0154.thumb.JPG.ea5a3195ff94f960b04fb4f4d3733cdd.JPG617A00gkAcL._SL1000_.jpg

On 8/8/2018 at 6:42 PM, DonShockley said:

Hi Don,

Thank you for this posting of photos on the new reflectors look fantastic!, I own the exact same  transit connects as yours, it is a rare bird on the road,  is there any way you could supply the link that you purchased these items from? Thank you for being "ginny pig" on this. America charges unacceptable prices on these 2 items. thank you! frisky

On 8/8/2018 at 6:42 PM, DonShockley said:

20180808_171723 (Large).jpg

20180808_171812 (Large).jpg

20180808_173752 (Large).jpg

20180808_175336 (Large).jpg

I swore I put links in earlier? Maybe they went dead once the eBay listing got old enough and were removed.

The Valeo aftermarket part numbers are:

Left #45254

Right #45255

Here's the current listings from the same seller, Start245:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upper-Tail-Light-Rear-Lamp-VALEO-Fits-Left-FORD-Tourneo-Transit-Wagon-2013-/173527049394?hash=item286704a4b2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upper-Tail-Light-Rear-Lamp-VALEO-Fits-Right-FORD-Tourneo-Transit-Wagon-2013-/153174924030?hash=item23a9efdafe

Edited by DonShockley

Thank you Don, I checked your links they are active and at 67.50/ unit that is definitely the best price by far on the market (plus no core charge!) I am going to contact the seller to see if they will fit my 2016. (they should) I will report back on this. I have searched for quite awhile, don't know how I missed this seller. They look very fine on yours and a huge safety boost to boot.

• 1 month later...

Hi Don,

Sorry for the late reply, yes, this company from Latvia turned out to be A FIRST CLASS!  I received the product as specified and it a perfect match at about half the cost verses the American alternative .Wow. Total thumbs up on this!!!  Attached are a few pics of my "RARE BIRD" 2016 Transit Connect XLT passenger van w/ hatchback seats removed. You will not find this configuration out there it is just too rare. Thule Cargo Box Pulse attached. INNO Fairing. Painting Contractor Vehicle. Factory rails installed. Hatchback. Work vehicle. RARE. Wish I had a bit more room, however more room means more "JUNK in the trunk". This vehicle forces me to think sharply about how to pack "essentials". Have modified storage as of these pics to better configurations . Still love my Transit even though still hate the low end rumbling from the tires.  If anyone is interested, I had to add factory rails to the vehicle through my local ford dealer, it was a tough pill to swallow, mega bucks. Please enquire I will detail results. Steven.

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 1.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 2.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 3.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 4.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 5.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 6.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 7.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 8.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 9.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 10.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 11.jpg

IMG_1850.MOV 480P - 12.jpg

• 5 months later...

Reviving a dead thread here.

I did some shopping at car-part dot com. Where you can search the world (literally) for a certain part down to the make and model. I found several TC Titanium's unfortunately in a totaled state. But there were a handful with the upper reflector still intact. I reached out to one of the junkyards for a set. $70 and two business days later, BOOM I'm part of the elusive club!

LHref.jpg

RHref.jpg

3 minutes ago, Beta Don said:

They do help (just a little) to draw your eye away from all the 'stuff' stuck all over the back of your van  ?

Hey, a van with this much white canvas, I had to add something to it! I got sick of people asking if it was my company van.