Ford Transit Connect Forum

elusive "upper rear tail light" where to get?

Hi all,

Anyone know where to get the "upper real tail light assembly" (maybe it is just a reflector assembly) instead of the dumb "black insert that makes no sense why it's there" assembly?

I saw one pass by on the highway in Chicago yesterday and hell if I can't  find any info on google or Ford on it . My dealer is clueless too. Has no idea told me "maybe an after market thing."

Why such a mystery I do not know.

frisky 

IMG_2164.JPG

2017-ford-transit-connect-titanium-mini-mpv-taillight.png

800px-Ford_Tourneo_Connect_-_Mondial_de_l'Automobile_de_Paris_2012_-_004.jpg

I think they are on the upper level trip packages.  Mine is a Titanium and it has something other than black plastic up there, not sure if it has lights or not.  Your Ford dealer might need to just look at the parts diagrams for the lights - I just looked at the parts diagrams I have and didn't see them but the diagrams are not that good.

Edited by PhotoAl

On 6/22/2018 at 1:51 AM, Fifty150 said:

Those are just reflectors.

Valeo 45255

OEM part number  DT11 13A602 AB 1846222

Valeo 45254

OEM part number DT11 13A603 AB 1846223

Thanks for those part numbers. I decided I'll go ahead and be the forum guinea pig on these. With the Valeo info I found both for $131 total on eBay so it won't kill me if it doesn't work. It may take a while for shipping from Latvia (eBay estimates a month), but I'll post results once I get them and try to do the swap on my 2015 XLT Wagon.

6 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Latvia?  There weren't any parts closer?  No parts in all of North America?  

Next cheapest found were $115 per side IIRC, from British and US suppliers. Might have found them a little cheaper and with quicker shipping with a lot more searching. And of course salvage yards would be even cheaper. But last time I tried searching the salvage sites I've seen mentioned on the forum, back when this swap was first suggested, I had no luck. Not surprising since Titanium Wagons are probably the smallest section of TC sales so spares from wrecks would be few and far between.

Once I found some at a price I was willing to risk, I hit the buy button.

7 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I've still got parts to cars I no longer own.  

I have a chain and a head gasket for my first car (from 1990), still. I think I can find a pair of lower control arm joints but I might have thrown them away.

14 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

I've still got parts to cars I no longer own.  

I've still got a NIB armrest from my 2012 Toyata RAV4. I had planned to take it to an upholstery shop and get it padded out higher since it was a bit too low for my tastes. Never got around to it and traded in the RAV4 for the TC. 3 years later and I also haven't gotten around to listing it on eBay either.

Thanks guys for the in depth research. I called my dealer again today (7-2-18) and got a more knowledgable person this time. Yes, they are reflectors and for my 2016 Transit Connect XLT Platinum I can have them for 86.00 each plus 50.00 each for the core charge. With tax that would run me 292.40 for two small plastic pieces about 4 inches long. So I will take advice, review what has been searched,  and do some more deep google searching like you all have done. This is cool!  As a group we can break through the status quo and make things desired a bit more affordable!

I'm confused, like Fifty150 above.

Generally, you pay a core charge when you buy a component, then get it back when you return the old part.

If they're charging you a core charge ... then you should get that back when you give them your standard pieces.

In other words, if you have the old pieces in hand when you buy the reflectors, you should not have to pay any core charge.

But if you try to give them a black plastic piece of trim, they may not accept that as the core for reflectors.  You end up paying the core charge, and not getting a refund for return, since you don't have a reflector to give back.  Kind of like buying a battery, without a battery to return.  unless you hold onto that receipt, wait 15 years until you no longer own the vehicle, then return the two little reflectors and ask for a return on your core deposit.  They will probably laugh at you.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:04 AM, Fifty150 said:

Core charge?  Are you kidding me with that?  It's not an alternator that they will rebuild.  It's not a transmission.  

They can keep them. I would never pay a "core charge" on a piece of plastic. Nucking futz.

• 4 weeks later...

About a month with no update on my order of these reflectors. Long waits are not all that unusual for some overseas orders but I usually see something within that time frame, so I sent a follow up message to the seller. Although he stated there was an error in the eBay systems ship date, I suspect they just dropped the ball on getting it out because just a few days later a tracking number finally shows on eBay. The sellers delivery estimate was "within 14 days usually", and just yesterday the tracking number started showing it within the Latvian end of the postal system. So hopefully it will be here soon. The bigger question may be if my TC will be fixed and out of the shop before it arrives.

Edited by DonShockley

Actually, the fact that there is a core charge suggests that the reflectors are just modifications to the original piece.  Now I am interested in seeing if it's possible to get replacement reflectors and add them to my black plastic pieces.

9 hours ago, DonShockley said:

and just yesterday the tracking number started showing it within the Latvian end of the postal system.

Makes me wonder........I sent that Nigerian Prince $10,000, and any day now, I am suppose to receive a wire transfer for $1,000,000 from a Swiss Bank.  I better e-mail him again.

Really?  Latvia?  What does e-Bay do when the product never arrives?  I had that happen a few times with purchases on Amazon.  The seller gives you a tracking number, which may or may not be real, and then nothing.  All of these were less than $5 items, and Amazon refunded me.  

3 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Really?  Latvia?  What does e-Bay do when the product never arrives?

Latvia is only half bad. You would certainly be scammed dealing with Lithuanians. I have, several times over the years, lost huge piles of cash.