Ford Transit Connect Forum

Jacks

Fifty150

16 hours ago, G B L said:

You never know when you will be on the side of the road with a flat.  Having one of these gets me home fast.

image.png

Have to admit that I have furtively bought my share of Harbor Freight items.  But usually with a coupon, nothing expensive, and nothing that I would have to trust my life with (like a Harbor Freight survival knife).  Can you imagine Bear Grylls cursing as his Harbor Freight knife suffers catastrophic failure?  

I have to admit that I am one of those guys who likes bargains.  So along with the Snap-On tools in the garage, and Craftsman tools that I keep in the cars, I can't resist having Harbor Freight socket sets, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, gloves, et cetera.  Harbor Freight sockets are the only ones I've ever seen shatter, and Harbor Freight ratchet handles are the only ones I've ever seen fail.  I know other people who say they've broken better tools, and I believe them .  But with a lifetime warranty, I don't care.  I've returned a few things at Harbor Freight, and they have always replaced them with a new item, no hassle.  

I am still skeptical when it comes to Harbor Freight air compressors and floor jacks.  Being a tool whore, I've got jacks.  Bottle jacks.  Floor jacks.  Jack stands.  Motorcycle lift.  I've always like bottle jacks because they could hold so weight, are so small, are inexpensive, and I can own one forever because you can always find the parts to  maintain and refurbish them.  In the Transit Connect, I carry a Craftsman Low Profile.  Minimum height of 3.5" just in case I get a flat.  In my garage, my "go to" jack is a Torin Hybrid.

009050165000 Craftsman 2-1/2 Ton Floor Jack, Low Profile

On 6/17/2018 at 8:48 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Out of curiosity, does the handle disconnect? At some point storage becomes an issue.

To answer your question, yes the handle is removable. There's a thumbscrew that holds it in place, just loosen it & pull the handle out. The handle is two pieces that have a set-screw holding them together, so you'd need tools if you wanted to completely break it down. The jack fits great under the false floor in my 2015 cargo van, no need to disassemble the handle itself since it's only like a few feet long. 

18 hours ago, Fifty150 said:

Have to admit that I have furtively bought my share of Harbor Freight items.  But usually with a coupon, nothing expensive, and nothing that I would have to trust my life with (like a Harbor Freight survival knife).  Can you imagine Bear Grylls cursing as his Harbor Freight knife suffers catastrophic failure?  

I have to admit that I am one of those guys who likes bargains.  So along with the Snap-On tools in the garage, and Craftsman tools that I keep in the cars, I can't resist having Harbor Freight socket sets, wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers, gloves, et cetera.  Harbor Freight sockets are the only ones I've ever seen shatter, and Harbor Freight ratchet handles are the only ones I've ever seen fail.  I know other people who say they've broken better tools, and I believe them .  But with a lifetime warranty, I don't care.  I've returned a few things at Harbor Freight, and they have always replaced them with a new item, no hassle.  

Here is some good advice on tools that was given to me by my Dad and is so very true. If you are going to use a tool to make a living then spend the money to get the best and you well get your money back in profits. If you are going to use the tool for personal use only then get the cheap stuff because you will break it and lose it. Better to have the best on the job when it has to work, and the cheapest at the house when you cant find it or its broken. (I liked to take his tools outside and leave them when I was younger)

But one thing to remember is to never compromise on safety for savings. 

Now back to putting my harbor freight tools back into my harbor freight toolbox. I like saving money also. :)

1 hour ago, BSUPC said:

Now back to putting my harbor freight tools back into my harbor freight toolbox. I like saving money also. :)

KIMG1961.thumb.JPG.f19eea46823e0abaf681a87f9da1e523.JPG

I am a sucker for their coupons.

Just got a new jack handle in the mail from Torin today.  Assembling it gave me a chance to use my new toy/tool.  Not Harbor Freight.  But less than $5 off amazon.com.  

KIMG1960.thumb.JPG.27d27e5a6fed4ac57cd027735b446b5f.JPG

KIMG1957.thumb.JPG.cc306b5befcc77fafd95d72fbec0f0d7.JPG

KIMG1953.JPG

I love getting an email on my phone and opening up the gmail app to see the Harbor Freight email with the coupons.  :) 

But jacks are a great tool that we all have to have and use at some point. I am looking for a good floor jack to put in my OH CRAP tote in the van and move the scissor jack to a only if I have to role. And that is another topic right there, the OH CRAP tote. Something everyone should have tucked away in the vehicle. Might have to inventory mine one day on here. Unless someone else wants to start that topic off. Never know when you going to need tools and common parts. 

My Transit Connect jack point is 8" in the front.  It looks like the rear is higher to compensate for load.  With OEM tires, it looks like a flat tire will lower the jack point by about 2".  Anyu jack you buy should be able to go under the vehicle even with a flat tire.  Your van may be different than mine, depending on if you have modified suspension, different tire size, or it's under load.  The jack should raise the vehicle high enough for your tire to lift off the ground.  

91f4jgZ4DWL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a Pro-Lift F-2315PE .  Min. Height: 4.92", Max. Height: 11.81"  This did not work out.  This jack was just fine for subcompacts like Honda CVCC, VW Beetle, Yugo, Renault LeCar, Ford Pinto, Ford Mustang II, Datsun B210, and other cars I am too ashamed to mention.,   Nothing like jacking up the car, only to find out that the jack doesn't go high enough. 

81a5iBxkqBL._SL1500_.jpg

torin T82001 is a good set.  Lifting Range: Trolley Jack: 5.25" - 13".   I used it on my last oil change.  Everything was fine.  I did have a jack pad for the unibody pinch weld, so that added an extra inch to the lift height.  Based on that, I want to say that my stock Transit Connect XL needs to rise up to 14" in order to be able to take the tire off.  

31qCWvQLFGL.jpg81KU7mg9-2L._SL1500_.jpg

Ford FMCF0012  and Torin T90203B are nearly identical.  Minimum height: 7.13", Maximum height: 13.58"  With the ram at full travel, the lift is about 5".  The van lifts 12".  Just not quite enough to raise the tire off the floor.  But good enough for oil changes.  I can raise the van 1', set it onto a jack stand, raise the jack saddle about 2" with the extension screw, then jack the van up just a little bit more.  

$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Ford 9C2Z-17080-A.  This part fits specific Ford E-150, E-250, E-350/E-350 Super Duty models. .  Over $100 retail.  For that kind of money, you can buy anything else

spin_prod_871978712?hei=1000&wid=1000&op_sharpen=1Craftsman Craftsman 2-1/4 ton Jack Stands, 2 pk.Craftsman 

Craftsman Model # 50165  

Minimum Height :
3.5 (in.)
Maximum Height :
14 (in.)

Craftsman Model # 50182

Minimum Height :
10.625 (in.)
Maximum Height :
17.125 (in.)

The jack I'm currently carrying in the Transit Connect.  Mainly because of pricing and availability.  I love being cheap.  Sears had a big sale, there were additional promotions involving Cash Back points and a statement credit for using my Sears credit card.  So you're laughing at me for having a Sears Credit Card?  Yes.  That, and a Discover Card, which once upon a time, was also part of Sears.  Sears may not be around much longer.  But Craftsman will survive as a part of Stanley, Black&Decker, DeWalt, Craftsman.   The specs work for the Transit Connect, and it is low enough for Fast & Furious cars in the caravan when I road trip.  No, I am not using these all day in a shop, so I'm not concerned about how they will last.  I opened the box and checked them to make sure that they worked.  As an emergency item, it will be brand new & used for the first time if I ever need to change that tire on the side of the road.  

15 hours ago, BSUPC said:

the OH CRAP tote. Something everyone should have tucked away in the vehicle.

Tote?  Ha!  The whole back of my van is for "OH CRAP" moments.  

But to stay close to the topic, Jacks, I am prepared for the tire change with a 12V impact wrench, a 2' breaker bar, and a 3/4" deep impact socket.  My fingers are crossed that I will never have to find out if the Harbor Freight $20 impact wrench works.

Pittsburgh Professional 60819 1/2 in. Drive 25 in. Breaker Bar61sWaGiVSQL._SL1500_.jpg

Pittsburgh® Automotive 92349 12 Volt 1/2 In. Emergency Impact Wrench

On 6/18/2018 at 6:41 PM, BSUPC said:

I like saving money also. :)

Not the best deal.  But okay.  Sears has all kinds of specials and coupons, which sometimes change daily.  At $30.31 + tax for both jacks, that is just about what you would pay for a 2 ton jack and a 6 ton jack, if they weren't branded as Ford.  Side by side, they look exactly like Torin Big Red jacks.  

image.thumb.png.77b271351dd0975de5acdf975f13e729.png

It looks like they all come from the same Chinese factory.

image.thumb.png.d0ee2158bda7763a74a810e7fcd94d9b.png

The 2 ton bottle jack is now in the rear jack compartment, alongside the OEM jack.  I've also got a jack pad in there.  5" of ram travel, along with an extra 1" from the jack pad, may be just enough.  Or not.  But it will raise the van enough to rest on a Craftsman jack stand.  Then I can raise the extension screw by 2", and jack the van up some more.  

KIMG1985.JPG

KIMG1986.JPG

On 6/17/2018 at 9:48 AM, OLDSCHOOLFOOL said:

Out of curiosity, does the handle disconnect? At some point storage becomes an issue.

Yes it is two piece and removable from the Jack. I have had good luck with the one I bought

The biggest advantage to that Harbor Freight jack has to be the weight.  At the listed spec of 31.68 lbs, it is a lot less to handle.

A lot of mixed reviews.  Either they fail, and the buyer is not satisfied, or they don't fail, and the buyer is ecstatic.  YouTube videos will show both.  

I would want something which is rated for a little more weight.    There are other low profile jacks rated for 2 to 3 tons. 

In the $80 price range, there are a lot of options.  I was just looking at this Powerbuilt from Pep Boys.  But it is a lot bulkier, and probably heavier.  Although I do like the idea that I can use it with my motorcycle.  It would sure be nice to have in the garage.  But for the purposes of being able to carry it in the back of the car, I don't think this will take the place of my little trolley jack.

image.thumb.png.52958c4d49875795c86c90d22c7b17fa.png

For small car, in the trunk, I still like the inexpensive trolley jacks.  I just did an oil change with a small trolley jack and 2 ton jack stands that came in a set.  Amazing that I've used and owned quite a few, and never had a problem with one.  They are inexpensive enough that I pick them up whenever I find one on sale.  Every one of them, no matter which label is stuck on there, comes from the same factory in China.  Torin, Ford, Harbor Freight, Sears, AC-Delco, Wal*Mart, Home Depot, whatever.  They are all exactly identical.  Exact same specs.  Even that plastic carry handle which comes loose in the box, that you have to snap on yourself.  And if I ever stop to read a product manual, on anything, I'll bet that even the manuals are the same. 

I've actually given trolley jacks away to friends or co-workers after helping them change a tire because all that they had was the OEM scissor jack.  A few of them I left in the trunks of used cars, for the benefit of the guy buying the car from me.  A lot of my ex-girlfriends are still driving around with the trolley jack I put into their trunk.  One ex, who I am still on good terms with, asked her husband to call and thank me because they had to change a flat.  Actually, I just bought an AC-Delco brand from Sears, and it was priced at $13.  The same jack at Harbor Freight is $30.  Pep Boys is currently selling a Torin brand trolley jack for $20.    Wal*Mart has a trolley jack at $18.  With some of these stores, if you have a coupon or some other promotion, you could walk away with a cheap little jack for less than the cost of going to lunch.

The 1.5 Ton is  enough for a road Jack.  The TC even at full load is 1500 lbs a wheel .  The size and weight of the Aluminum jack is very good.  I will keep the forum up dated on the service i get from the Jack.

GBL, I hope you never have to find out how well your jack works on the side of the road in the middle of a dark & stormy night.

I like the idea of the low profile jack.  Ground clearance and lift range are important to me.  I am still wondering how low to the ground the Transit Connect gets with a flat tire.  Just by pulling over randomly and measuring, I've already found that the 8" I have in front of my house becomes less on uneven grades.  Important because a lot of roadways are uneven and graded to slope towards the right for rainfall. 

Should I carry a low profile jack instead of the little trolley jack?

Will my little trolley jack fit with a flat tire on a grade?  I don't want to find out in the middle of a dark & stormy night. 

https://youtu.be/UeR27OP4V7U?t=42s

On 6/17/2018 at 2:47 PM, mrtn said:

507357fe5f363.jpg

I've never seen one in real life.  Did these come as OEM equipment in any U.S. cars?

Now that I think about it, I saw it once in a youtube video.

Money saving techniques of the automobile manufacturers.  

Federal regulations say they MUST supply a jack.

The regulations say they MUST support the vehicle.

The regulations do NOT specify under what conditions the jack must support the vehicle.

So, they provide a jack that will barely support the vehicle on a flat, level, concrete surface.

Any other conditions and the jack may or may not work ... but that's not "their" problem.